The best worst day ever

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Hey everyone!

Been a while since I've been around, really missing my time on the forums!

So many threads I wish I had enough time to comment on, and many times I've wanted to come and "brag" a little bit about my Franklin.

But today, I am just sooo grateful! Here's why...

Yesterday morning was like most any other morning, woke up, was getting breakfast, said good morning to our birds, checked them all and opened up Franklin's door, as I do every morning, he immediately bee-lined it to the opening...as he does every morning, I said "hey buddy!" While offering him my finger...which I do...every morning...he hopped right up and made the "kiss" sound to me, as he does...you guessed it...EVERY MORNING...

I was bringing him toward me to give him a quick kiss before he hops on my shoulder to "help" me cook breakfast....as he does every morning...except THIS morning...as I was bringing him closer, he reached forward...as he usually does...not unusual behavior, he just wants to "give kiss" and getting a kiss was what I was expecting...but in the flash of 1/8th of a second, he was clamped onto the side of my nostril!!!

I was sooo shocked I couldn't move, couldn't even make a sound! It seemed like this was going in slow motion all the sudden....I could feel him biting harder and harder!! I was getting a piercing with a conure nose ring!!! And the pain!...yeooouch! A tear came out of my eye...he STILL didn't let go! I swear he chomped HARDER STILL! I could feel wetness beginning to drip down...and as quickly as he latched on, he let go and my tears made it hard for me to see him clearly, he looked at me, I tried to look at him, realized the side of my nostril was all out bleeding, running down my face. I was in such shock, I didn't say a word, I just put him back in his cage, shut the door...and covered his cage...which I NEVER do...but I was MAD! And that was the only way I could think to show him he was a bad bird!

Franklin is going to be 3 years old in March...we've had him since he was 8 weeks old and it's been nearly 2 years since the last time he bit anyone...and he's never drawn blood before.

We know his body language, he know's ours...we get along soo well! I couldn't believe this...so my husband he walks out of the bedroom, I'm of course bleeding and he's all...what happened!?!? I said, Frankie just BIT me! I told him the story, he says...well, I bet you won't do that again...and I replied...That's RIGHT, HE better not!!

He goes over, get's Franklin, of course, Franklin is all sweet as can be...and our day when on as normal, except I had a pretty sore nostril...but I was lucky! He left it all intact...I could have been missing a chunk! How awful would that have been.

So dinner time come rolling around...and I put a pan of water and butter on the burner to make stuffing....I turned the burner down to about mediumish...went to put laundry in the dryer as I was waiting for the water to boil and melt the butter....I walk upstairs from the basement and to my shock and horror the house is nearly filled with smoke! When I round the corner I see my stove hood is on FIRE!

Of course my husband and son are gone it's just me...suddenly I couldn't remember where the fire extinguisher was...(walked right by it) I grabbed the pot of water off the burner, dumped it in the sink and filled it with "fresh" water and threw the water up in the hood, the fire was still flaming, I poured more water down the vents on the top of the hood...and threw more water up in the hood from the underside....got the fire out...opened all the doors and windows...worried sick about my birds because of the smoke inhalation...called my husband to get home and check the attic area.

Luckily all turned out well, but we found out that the exhaust fan was not working properly and the vent that sucks the smoke outside, was completely clogged!

We just bought this house 9 months ago...had no idea there was a problem lurking up there! Found out the hard way.

I am soo thankful! Everyone and everything is fine, except we need a new stove hood...miner compared to what could have been.

Birds are all well, happy and healthy.

So it was a mostly bad day, but turned out so much better than it could have been.

My nostril is on the mend but super sore! Frankie is back to "normal." And our house...I can't even begin...Aaaahhhhh.

Take care all!

Toni

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Hi ya long time no see!!!!!! You were very fortunate and I'm glad everything went well other then the fire and the bite. Hope everything else have been well for you!!!! :)

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Oh and I forgot to mention.....my husband...walking in the door to "investigate" the fire....says to me..."Baby trying to cook in the kitchen again???"

I just shook my head and started cracking up...when it rains...it pours sometimes.

Hey MikeyTN...everything has otherwise been wonderful. We bought a wonderful older house (built in '57) that we are still trying to get all settled in, with nearly 7 acres. My horses are home with me again and THAT alone is such a blessing!

I don't know if you remember the two cockatiels I rescued 2 years ago, horrible conditions, terribly abused... have come such a long way! Charlie has really become the best talker! Neither of them like to be handled by hands, but they love attention. They are very good about hopping up on a stick to be put back in their cages and they love to get right close to me, Charlie, especially...get's right up to my lips to watch me talk to him...but if I offer either of them my finger to step up on...they run or fly off, but always come right back to their cage top or play stand. It's super slow progress, but progress none the less.

Anyway, I gotta get back to work.

See ya!

Toni

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
OUUCCCHHH!! I could feel the pain while reading that!! Holy moly!!

Ohmygoodness and the fan?! And a fire?! I'm so glad everyone is ok!!!

I remember when we (me and my parents) moved into the newly built house, one day my mom was frying chicken and went to answer the phone in the office...I heard a weird crackling noise...peeked around the corner and saw this HUGE wall of fire going up past the hood. I went and and told her there was a fire, I called my dad while she called 911...my dad thought I was joking! Thankfully the fire chief lived a few houses down and heard the call. He came and put it out before the fire trucks even got there! The smoke inside was so bad they had to clean EVERYTHING. New paint, new outlets, new carpet, every single thing had to be cleaned.

Sorry for such a long story, but I'm glad you're back!! Hope to see you around more!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes I do remember your tiels!!!!! I'm glad they're coming out of their shell! ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts