Crossing the USA/Canada Border

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Phillip - Green Cheek Conure (RIP)
I want to get a Green Cheek Conure, I've made up my mind. But before I get one I have to make sure it's possible in my situation. I'm a US citizen living in Canada currently. If I were to move back to the US, what paperwork would I have to have to bring a conure across the border? Is this feasible? Thanks in advance for the help. I could find very little information on this on the Internet.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
You should call the US department of agriculture with this question, and then please share the answers you find :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I don't think there are many laws regarding animals crossing borders. Most I can think is the gcc would have to be put into quarantine for some time before being allowed fully into the US. I'm not sure if that applies to Canada or just oversea places.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I can't speak for Canada to the US, but for the US to Ireland it's just a bunch of paperwork that has to be filed, including a form filled out by an avian vet declaring health status and blood work results, etc. It's probably something similar for Canada to the US.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I want to get a Green Cheek Conure, I've made up my mind. But before I get one I have to make sure it's possible in my situation. I'm a US citizen living in Canada currently. If I were to move back to the US, what paperwork would I have to have to bring a conure across the border? Is this feasible? Thanks in advance for the help. I could find very little information on this on the Internet.

Take a look at this Thread: "Travel to Canada with parrot?" Located in the General Parrot Information Forum

"Re: Travel to Canada with parrot?
One moment there! You will be crossing Two Boarders and coming back into the United States also have specific requirements. So, you need to plan and be prepared for both crossings.

Documentation, documentation, documentation!

We travel between Michigan and Ontario. The reality 'today' can be very different 'tomorrow' and I am sure that you would want to be prepared when, not 'if' the requirements change in a matter of hours driven by several different Local /World events, all fully likely in todays World.

When we cross, we have a full document set, based on the most current documents provided by each Country. In addition, we have the required documents as if we would be 'fly' into either Country. When we crossed last Summer, we had our Certified Avian Vet complete a full blood screen requirement and a Physical Examination. The Documents from our CAV includes a color photo and his Micro Chip number (leg band number or sexing tattoo can be used) and her signature on each page. Note, we assure that the paperwork will be within the date restrictions both ways.

Overkill, yup! But things happen and planning for the worst makes living it much easier.

Do not forget your Passports!

FYI: It is really not that much work and the joy of having your Parrot with you is worth it!"

Last edited:
OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Phillip - Green Cheek Conure (RIP)
Thanks for the info! What about CITES? Green Cheeks are listed on CITES, so would I have to get some sort of permit for that?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks for the info! What about CITES? Green Cheeks are listed on CITES, so would I have to get some sort of permit for that?

Yes and also a 'document set' from the seller listing: the Breeder, date of hatch and additional points of sale since the hatch date! Welcome to the New World - CITES!

FYI: The vet has to be a Certified Avian Vet!

Most Reactions

Latest posts