Crunchy/hard recipe needed.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
I bought a parrot log at Christmas , it was full of baked hard nibbles In holes.
the nibbles have all gone and Iā€™d like to refill it. it would need to be a recipe that bakes hard like a biscuit or harder because the holes are quite large. Iā€™ve searched here but cant seem to find a recipe. Does anyone have a birdie cracker/hard biscuit recipe ?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I bought a parrot log at Christmas , it was full of baked hard nibbles In holes.
the nibbles have all gone and Iā€™d like to refill it. it would need to be a recipe that bakes hard like a biscuit or harder because the holes are quite large. Iā€™ve searched here but cant seem to find a recipe. Does anyone have a birdie cracker/hard biscuit recipe ?
Would it work to just bake a birdie bread or cookie recipe longer until it's hard? Or to make biscuits using bird safe ingredients and overbake them until they're hard?

I found this recipe:

Parrot Biscuit

Good luck!

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Would it work to just bake a birdie bread or cookie recipe longer until it's hard? Or to make biscuits using bird safe ingredients and overbake them until they're hard?

I found this recipe:

Parrot Biscuit

Good luck!
Thank you Terry, yes it might work. Iā€™ll have to give it a try next time I have the oven on.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you Terry, yes it might work. Iā€™ll have to give it a try next time I have the oven on.
Let me know how it turns out, I think my larger birds would really like this:)

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
I sort of followed the recipe. I only used one egg and had to use a different measure, itā€™s was sort of 2 or 3 tablespoons of bits to one egg white.. (we donā€™t use cups) I used up my pellet powder and then almond flour: instead of cornflour. I didnā€™t add dried fruit as he usually avoids them.. Just a chunk of soft prebaked pumpkin, some ground flaxseed and goji berry mix, millet seeds, a few oats and a teaspoon of red palm oil. It baked on 160 for 45 min then I left the log in until the oven was cold.
I would say it over baked, but itā€™s not burnt. Itā€™s Very dry and crunchy. Letā€™s see how long it takes him to get through the log. maybe I could have added a quarter of a banana, as it was quite dry And didnā€™t stick together easily. But it was perfect for sqeezing in the log. Heā€™s tucking into a half inch piece now , so he likes it. šŸ‘
If you were able to roll it smooth (between greaseproof paper) and cut it up Iā€™m sure it would last in an airtight container

Attachments

• D680A79E-08A4-49D8-800C-FA8C07509A9A.jpeg
    D680A79E-08A4-49D8-800C-FA8C07509A9A.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 208E1F9B-DBB1-4185-BC35-6E9F9983089C.jpeg
    208E1F9B-DBB1-4185-BC35-6E9F9983089C.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts