Does my four month old quaker need another parrot friend

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
My friend visited the other day for the first time since I brought my baby quaker parrot Diva home. Me and him got into quite an argument. Diva was been her usual little lovable playful self stuck to my shoulder and lap chattering away and playing with me and her toys. I was talking about how she's the joy and love of my life and how shes filled the gaping empty hole left behind since i lost my elderly dogs and showing off all her tricks shes learned her large assortment of toys and treats.

My friend just blurted out when was I getting her a friend and I mentioned she was probably going to just be a lone parrot or at very least lone for a year until she completely trained before I would maybe consider adding a companion for her. I explained how with a friend she would likely loose her bond with me and be harder to train and how. she's enough of a handful by herself.

My friend attacked me saying I was selfish and cruel how parrots need to be in pairs at the very least and how her attachment to me is not healthy because it's only because she hasnt got another bird that she has to be over attached to a human and I can never meet her mental and social needs without another bird for her. He said birds should have a large large cage be in pairs get some out of cage time daily and humans should be hands off and just enjoy watching the birds be birds with each other.

Diva has also started saying hello not very clearly but you can tell its what she's saying and he got even more annoyed at this saying he hates talking parrots because it's them been forced to try and communicate with another species because they don't have another companion of their own species.

We agreed to disagree finally although I could tell as he watched me and her play for the rest of the day he was very much not amused especially when I put her into her cage so I could make dinner and she screamed he muttered she wouldn't do that if she had another bird.

His words have made me doubt myself. Diva is my first parrot, Im a introvert whos very much an animal lover over people and treat my pets like family. Diva is my baby girl and extremely spoiled. Because I'm so introverted I work from home selling online because I can't stand working in the workplace around people all day long and I rarely leave my apartment except to the corner shop to get milk. Diva has various playarea set up, a extra large cage filled with toys and a smaller sleep cage in the hallway.

She's rarely in her cage normally out with me and interacted with and played with all the time. I'm not completely ruling out ever adding another parrot if I did it would definately be another quaker parrot and it would have to be another Dna proven female because I definately don't want the two of them breeding. For now though I would just prefer to focus on my girl and her training. I've always had dogs and with dogs having two young puppies at the same time it's usually leads to littermate syndrome where they bond with each other more than their owner and are hard to train.

Am I being selfish wanting to keep my little girl all to myself for a while or maybe even for ever. She shows no sign of unhappiness and my lifestyle means she's always with me never left for long periods of time but is my friend right is her love and bond with me only because shes deprived of other bird company and she has to make do with me. Is she secretly unhappy.

My friend in question has birds he's got two blue crowned conures and two budgies he's had since they babies his girls aren't at all hand tame. He has two massive joint double flight cages filled with toys one for the conures and one for the budgies and cages are open in the morning so they can fly and play around the house they pay him no attention at all they're not frightened just have no interest in humans and won't perch on a human. The most work he's did with them is their trained that when he puts their food in the cage he whistles and at the sound of that whistle they all fly into their respective cage awaiting their food to be put in. Their not badly treated he grows numourous micro greens and sprouts and spends hours sometimes making up fresh chop for the birds the cages are cleaned always and he does towel them and take them into vet checks frequently to ensure their in good health. They're very happy busy little birds with numourous toys and enrichment they just have zero interest in humans at all although no fear.

I understand how he gets enjoyment out of purely watching them be birds any time I've been at his house I've loved watching them play and preen each other but the bond I have with Diva I love more and I'm really not keen on adding another bird just yet because my clever girl is learning so much verbal commands and tricks and I love our snuggles and tricks but am I been selfish should I get her a friend

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My short answer is NO, your Quaker does not need another bird because she has you. Do birds need a companion? Yes. Can humans fulfill that need? Yes! All birds are different but Quakers seem especially comfortable at bonding with humans. If you were consistently gone all day leaving your bird alone, that would be a different matter. But honestly, it sounds like you have a pretty ideal situation for raising a single bird. Don’t let your friend make you second guess yourself. It seems You are doing a great job giving your bird a healthy, happy life! Oh, and two Quakers would still scream when you put them in their cage; they would just scream twice as much!

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My short answer is NO, your Quaker does not need another bird because she has you. Do birds need a companion? Yes. Can humans fulfill that need? Yes! All birds are different but Quakers seem especially comfortable at bonding with humans. If you were consistently gone all day leaving your bird alone, that would be a different matter. But honestly, it sounds like you have a pretty ideal situation for raising a single bird. Don’t let your friend make you second guess yourself. It seems You are doing a great job giving your bird a healthy, happy life! Oh, and two Quakers would still scream when you put them in their cage; they would just scream twice as much!
Thank you I'm glad to hear other people's opinion because to me she seems perfectly happy with just me I'm really not keen on adding another bird and I've heard you should only add another bird if its for you and not for your parrot because theirs no guarantee your parrot will get along with the new bird. My clever girl is learning so much verbal commands and tricks and I love our snuggles and training. Honestly she's like the child I never had, I've been repeating the names of objects and colours to her and I explain to her in full sentences every thing I'm doing no different to how you'd communicate with a toddler and she seems to understand or be at least intently listening and trying to understand what I say. At bedtime we have a routine where I actually read her a bedtime story and she actually intently listens and even tries to turn the page and I always sing her a lullaby and she bops her head squeaks along. She gives kisses in turn when I say goodnight and climbs off my shoulder into her night cage. I know maybe I'm babying and humanising her too much but the breeder I got her from told me if you engage with them like a child learning meanings of things and speech they'll have much more understanding of things rather than just trying to get them to mimick one or two phases. He said there's no guarantee she'll talk but she will understand a lot more if shes engaged with in such a way.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I was given the same "suggestion" about getting a friend for Ralph shortly after I got him. My answer was "maybe someday," though it wasn't in my plans at the time. Ralph was always happy as an only parrot and didn't seem to want or need another parrot around. When I unexpectedly adopted Scooter the CAG, Ralph accepted the situation and was always tolerant of Scooter, but they never really became friends. Ralph does seem to sometimes miss Scooter since she passed away last year, but I really think he's happier being the only parrot here again. It sounds like Diva is happy and contented the way things are and having a second parrot isn't really necessary. In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I was given the same "suggestion" about getting a friend for Ralph shortly after I got him. My answer was "maybe someday," though it wasn't in my plans at the time. Ralph was always happy as an only parrot and didn't seem to want or need another parrot around. When I unexpectedly adopted Scooter the CAG, Ralph accepted the situation and was always tolerant of Scooter, but they never really became friends. Ralph does seem to sometimes miss Scooter since she passed away last year, but I really think he's happier being the only parrot here again. It sounds like Diva is happy and contented the way things are and having a second parrot isn't really necessary. In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Thank you and I'm really sorry about Scooter loosing a beloved pet is no different to loosing a family member. To be honest I really feel if anything Diva would be jealous of another parrot she spends all day every day with me. Shes also still only a baby at four months old and were still in the process of training and she's so smart she's picking everything up quickly. I feel it would be unfair to her to split my time between her and another bird when there's so much more she needs to learn. I'm also a first time parrot owner so I'm learning a lot with Diva as I go along thankfully aided with her fantastic breeder but I've still got puberty and her first hormonal stage to get through which I hear can be hard so I think focusing on just figuring her out at first before even considering another one is the responsible thing to do. I've been told once they hit puberty you need to expect to be badly bitten frequently at least daily with the mood swings for their entire lifespan but the rest of the time they'll still be affectionate. So far I've has no bad bites just a few painful warning pinches when she doesnt get her own way and is throwing a mini tantrum (why oh why did I call her Diva. Shes living up to it lol) I'm not looking forward to when she matures and starts biting hard but I've worked with horses and took some bad kicks and bites so it really can't get worse than that and if its a daily thing with parrots I'm sure you become immune to it

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
If you have the time to give her all the attention she needs then you don't need to get another bird. She sounds like she's happy as she is! I wish that I had just got one bird sometimes as I'd be able to give them more of my time and attention, though they're happy enough having a whole flock.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Most parrots in captivity are flock birds. They are very social. It doesn’t mean you “have” to get more then one parrot. Especially if you interact with your parrot a lot. I had a very rough start introducing 2 conures. It’s not even a guarantee that they will get along. Not to mention if you have a male parrot, and if you get a female then you have to worry about babies (depending on what you get).

I do have more than 1 parrot, and don’t regret it. I just didn’t think things through completely before doing it, and had to educate myself a little further. Hopefully this helps!

Last edited:
OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
Most parrots in captivity are flock birds. They are very social. It doesn’t mean you “have” to get more then one parrot. Especially if you interact with your parrot a lot. I had a very rough start introducing 2 conures. It’s not even a guarantee that they will get along. Not to mention if you have a male parrot, and if you get a female then you have to worry about babies (depending on what you get).

I do have more than 1 parrot, and don’t regret it. I just didn’t think things through completely before doing it, and had to educate myself a little further. Hopefully this helps!
Thank you babies is definately another concern I would have about adding another bird. Diva is my first parrot I've owned myself and i'll admit that while now I wouldn't change her for the world I was kinda hoping for her dna results to come back as male because the egg binding risk scares me so now I know she's definately female I'm going to be so hyper vigilant with her without the extra worry of possibly having a male that could encourage her to breed

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would reconsider the relationship with your friend, I find inflexible folks a bit tedious. On the subject at hand, only add a new member(s) to your flock if YOU want the additional parrot. There are no guarantees on compatibility with other birds; you have to be prepared to accept what that might look like, no matter what. And unfortunately, it means splitting time with one or another. Some parrots don't take that well.

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I would reconsider the relationship with your friend, I find inflexible folks a bit tedious. On the subject at hand, only add a new member(s) to your flock if YOU want the additional parrot. There are no guarantees on compatibility with other birds; you have to be prepared to accept what that might look like, no matter what. And unfortunately, it means splitting time with one or another. Some parrots don't take that well.
Thank you yes Diva is only four months old and my first parrot I've actually solely had. I'm working a lot with her training and getting to know her. I feel adding another bird at the moment while I'm only at the beginning stages of owning and training Diva would be inresponsible and it should be a decision I make when she's older and fully trained and a decision like you say made for me not for her. She's a very content happy little bird at present, I work from home and I'm introverted so Im home all the time with her and she was hand raised so she actively wants to be around people or at least me because she's made it clear she's a one person bird and is not happy for guests to get too close. She's happy to do tricks chatter and perform for others but will not allow anyone other than me to hold or touch her

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Wrench13 made an excellent point. The first consideration should always be whether or not you want another parrot, and if you would have the time and energy to devote to caring for more than one bird.
I might add that my old YCA George was an only parrot for the 40 years he was with me, and I don't think he would have had it any other way. In fact, I'm pretty sure that George would not have wanted to share my attention with any other parrots.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you yes Diva is only four months old and my first parrot I've actually solely had. I'm working a lot with her training and getting to know her. I feel adding another bird at the moment while I'm only at the beginning stages of owning and training Diva would be inresponsible and it should be a decision I make when she's older and fully trained and a decision like you say made for me not for her. She's a very content happy little bird at present, I work from home and I'm introverted so Im home all the time with her and she was hand raised so she actively wants to be around people or at least me because she's made it clear she's a one person bird and is not happy for guests to get too close. She's happy to do tricks chatter and perform for others but will not allow anyone other than me to hold or touch her
It's so difficult to handle the kind of criticism your friend unleashed on you when it's so clear how devoted you are to her happiness. I wish your friend understood the unnecessary angst such "discussions" can cause! I understand their viewpoint, because parrots are such social creatures- but that's what makes them such great human companions! Many people do appear to take their parrots out of the cage to play with them as if they were toys to be put away when finished, and many "only child" parrots are eventually neglected when the novelty wears off, but as long as you have the interest, energy, time, and ability to satisfy their social needs your bird does not need parrot companion to be happy. A second bird is A LOT more work than one bird, and unless you found a way to make more hours in a day, time spent one on one with First Bird necessarily takes away from time spent spent one on one with Second Bird. And imagine the drain on you if the two birds don't even like each other! I would tune out this "noise" and keep doing what you're doing and allow your relationship with her to grow, deepen and develop with confidence. If you eventually want another bird then get one, but I would certainly wait until your your bird is fully bonded and trained. At that point the bond would likely endure the presence of another bird. The difficulty would then be in developing a strong bond with Second Bird that won't be likely to receive the amount and intensity of the one on one you were able to give First Bird. Unlike having a second human child, I doubt First Bird would be terribly helpful in teaching Second Bird about how to "love Mama" and socialize fully with humans. Just enjoy your baby and turn away from any further discussions on the topic. Best wishes to you both!

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
There'll be strong opinions on both sides, I'm somewhere in the middle with a lean toward birds having other bird companions. So here's a post leaning (accidently very heavily 😅) toward the opposite side of the discussion.
I LOVE flock keeping with my budgies! I doubt I'd do it any other way, I give them good care and as many opportunities to express their natural behaviours as is appropriate. I expect nothing of them, they don't need to talk, they don't need to do tricks, they don't need to let me give them scritches etc. This does not mean I don't ever interact with them though. A reality of flock keeping is you do need some form of a bond with your birds. How will you catch your birds in an emergency? How will you provide medical care? etc. So I don't teach step up, cause I feel I'm getting in their space and not giving them the choice to interact with me, but instead basically what is recall. When they have to cross a significant space they are actively choosing to be with me. When I have a bit of a bond I know I can provide medical care without them having long term negative feelings toward me, tip the balance more toward the good experiences more than the bad.

And I also keep a single Galah and a single Slaty-head.
Literally since the day I got my Galah whether to get him a friend has been on my mind, and I likely will. Someday but not now.
Why? I do not believe a human can ever replace a bird companion. Simply put we are not birds! I barely understand Quarter, that's partly because I am still relatively new to parrots other than budgies and because I am not a bird. But the taking on another bird is a highly important part of the decision. Can I handle another cockatoo right now? Can I handle two cockatoos that decide not to bond??? No! That's a "few years in the future" kind of plan, I'll do my absolute best to provide companionship to my galah until then (IF I ever reach a place where that's even possible).

This is a long post so I won't even go into Nautilus' side of things. Basically my view is: You are not a horrible person for keeping a single bird IF you are truly providing the correct amount of time/attention/care.
BUT considering all the benefits of getting your bird a bird companion should be considered* at least once by every bird owner.
*By consider I do not in anyway imply anyone should be pressured to take on another bird unless they want to/can handle it.
An ending thought, we all know the best life for parrots is in the wild doing all they naturally do. So we pressure ourselves to base our care on that, lots of bird owner prefer and push natural raw diets, natural toys, lots of flight exercise etc. But we should overlook bonding simply cause we don't want the extra responsibility?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
There'll be strong opinions on both sides, I'm somewhere in the middle with a lean toward birds having other bird companions. So here's a post leaning (accidently very heavily 😅) toward the opposite side of the discussion.
I LOVE flock keeping with my budgies! I doubt I'd do it any other way, I give them good care and as many opportunities to express their natural behaviours as is appropriate. I expect nothing of them, they don't need to talk, they don't need to do tricks, they don't need to let me give them scritches etc. This does not mean I don't ever interact with them though. A reality of flock keeping is you do need some form of a bond with your birds. How will you catch your birds in an emergency? How will you provide medical care? etc. So I don't teach step up, cause I feel I'm getting in their space and not giving them the choice to interact with me, but instead basically what is recall. When they have to cross a significant space they are actively choosing to be with me. When I have a bit of a bond I know I can provide medical care without them having long term negative feelings toward me, tip the balance more toward the good experiences more than the bad.

Literally since the day I got my Galah whether to get him a friend has been on my mind, and I likely will. Someday but not now.
Why? I do not believe a human can ever replace a bird companion. Simply put we are not birds! I barely understand Quarter, that's partly because I am still relatively new to parrots other than budgies and because I am not a bird. But the taking on another bird is a highly important part of the decision. Can I handle another cockatoo right now? Can I handle two cockatoos that decide not to bond??? No! That's a "few years in the future" kind of plan, I'll do my absolute best to provide companionship to my galah until then (IF I ever reach a place where that's even possible).

This is a long post so I won't even go into Nautilus' side of things. Basically my view is: You are not a horrible person for keeping a single bird IF you are truly providing the correct amount of time/attention/care.
BUT considering all the benefits of getting your bird a bird companion should be considered* at least once by every bird owner.
*By consider I do not in anyway imply anyone should be pressured to take on another bird unless they want to/can handle it.
An ending thought, we all know the best life for parrots is in the wild doing all they naturally do. So we pressure ourselves to base our care on that, lots of bird owner prefer and push natural raw diets, natural toys, lots of flight exercise etc. But we should overlook bonding simply cause we don't want the extra responsibility?
It sure can fun having a few budgies zipping around the room landing here there and everywhere all at once, including on my head, shoulders, arms and any other of my fine human perches, actively seeking out my company because they want to! So flock livin' can be a real joy for all. No budgie was ever forced to be my friend.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
It sure can fun having a few budgies zipping around the room landing here there and everywhere all at once, including on my head, shoulders, arms and any other of my fine human perches, actively seeking out my company because they want to! So flock livin' can be a real joy for all. No budgie was ever forced to be my friend.
It's definitely fun! My flock are out together and I don't ask anything from them really, other than to go into the cage when I say and go in the carry case so they can go outside. A few of them want barely anything to do with me, but there's a few that want nothing more than to sit with me all day and I don't mind that at all!

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
It's so difficult to handle the kind of criticism your friend unleashed on you when it's so clear how devoted you are to her happiness. I wish your friend understood the unnecessary angst such "discussions" can cause! I understand their viewpoint, because parrots are such social creatures- but that's what makes them such great human companions! Many people do appear to take their parrots out of the cage to play with them as if they were toys to be put away when finished, and many "only child" parrots are eventually neglected when the novelty wears off, but as long as you have the interest, energy, time, and ability to satisfy their social needs your bird does not need parrot companion to be happy. A second bird is A LOT more work than one bird, and unless you found a way to make more hours in a day, time spent one on one with First Bird necessarily takes away from time spent spent one on one with Second Bird. And imagine the drain on you if the two birds don't even like each other! I would tune out this "noise" and keep doing what you're doing and allow your relationship with her to grow, deepen and develop with confidence. If you eventually want another bird then get one, but I would certainly wait until your your bird is fully bonded and trained. At that point the bond would likely endure the presence of another bird. The difficulty would then be in developing a strong bond with Second Bird that won't be likely to receive the amount and intensity of the one on one you were able to give First Bird. Unlike having a second human child, I doubt First Bird would be terribly helpful in teaching Second Bird about how to "love Mama" and socialize fully with humans. Just enjoy your baby and turn away from any further discussions on the topic. Best wishes to you both!

Totally get what your saying and I'm not completely ruling out adding a friend for Diva in the future. Diva is my first parrot and I'm learning day by day how to care for her I've a lot of learning to do so until I'm confident with my routine and care of her and have completed her training and also got through the first hormonal season which I hear is a challanging time and learned how to work through times like that with her I won't be ready to add another bird. There's so much more thought that needs to go into adding another bird outside just having a playmate for your current bird. Because that's a second life in our hands to care for to provide for and if our current bird doesn't get on with that bird their quality of life could actually be inpacted in a negative way aka less time with you, less time out of the cage while you juggle the needs of two parrots that need to be keep seperated. I also live in a small one bedroom apartment planning to move next year or two to two bedroom premises so definately won't be adding any more birds until I have more space. I also wouldn't be wanting my relationship with Diva to go to simply observing her from a distance and been mainly hands off while she has a new friend so the other bird would need to be another hand tame baby so both our tame and affectionate with me.

Last edited:
OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
It's them not liking each other that really concerns me about adding another. If I had another bird and they didn't get on both Diva and new birds quality of life would be impacted negatively. Diva is out of cage all day with me if I had to juggle two birds that don't get on they'd be spending a lot of time in cage waiting their turn for attention. For now at least she's perfectly happy with me if that ever changes and I feel she's really missing out on something I'll definately consider adding a bird. Another thing is my cousin who lives a short walk away is getting a six month old quaker parrot soon so I'm thinking once her bird is health checked then we could possibly train them to go into carriers and have play dates at each others house it's a way for her to have some play time with another bird without sharing me all the time lol.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
It's them not liking each other that really concerns me about adding another. If I had another bird and they didn't get on both Diva and new birds quality of life would be impacted negatively. Diva is out of cage all day with me if I had to juggle two birds that don't get on they'd be spending a lot of time in cage waiting their turn for attention. For now at least she's perfectly happy with me if that ever changes and I feel she's really missing out on something I'll definately consider adding a bird. Another thing is my cousin who lives a short walk away is getting a six month old quaker parrot soon so I'm thinking once her bird is health checked then we could possibly train them to go into carriers and have play dates at each others house it's a way for her to have some play time with another bird without sharing me all the time lol.
That's a good idea! My friend just got a cockatiel and she brought him round to see my birds and we got him eating pellets since he saw mine eating them. They all really enjoyed it and it was a great afternoon

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
That's a good idea! My friend just got a cockatiel and she brought him round to see my birds and we got him eating pellets since he saw mine eating them. They all really enjoyed it and it was a great afternoon
Oh brilliant I really hope this parrot my cousin is getting has a liking for vegetables and pellets Diva is a nightmare trying to get her to eat her vegatables

OP
S

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I have to admit me and my cousin have been pretty excited about introducing them we were going to try set up system in house were they can video call each other in the evenings too test their intelligence apparantly a survey was did were parrots enjoy video calling each other

Most Reactions

Latest posts