Crusty beak?

MegAndEddie

Jan 24, 2020
Albany NY
Parrots
Eddie, born Nov 2019
Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting but Iā€™ve been lurking for a while. I adopted my baby Eddie the green cheek conure about 3 months ago. He is now 7 months old, and heā€™s just beginning his first molt- lots of pin feathers. Heā€™s always having me scratch his head! Iā€™ve noticed more recently that his beak and nose holes look a little crusty, and heā€™s been itchy. Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s because of the molt? Iā€™m worried it could be something more like mites? Iā€™m attaching some pics below. Heā€™s also begun doing a new chirp- kind of like a loud squeak in replacement of his old squawk? Any idea? Everything else is completely normal. I feed him Harrison pellets, fruits and veggies every day.. he plays a ton, sleeps all night, and is very energetic and also snuggly! I love him very much and just want your opinion before I go to the vet. Unfortunately Iā€™m working over 55 hours from home right now so itā€™s tough for me to make a vet appt, but Eddie is loving the time together!
Thanks everyone
Meg&Eddie
:) :gcc:

Attachments

• DA9EC1DA-4C49-4A80-B2AF-F2B1D65AD622.jpg
    DA9EC1DA-4C49-4A80-B2AF-F2B1D65AD622.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 369A3423-79C5-49B1-B258-90FB87574A37.jpg
    369A3423-79C5-49B1-B258-90FB87574A37.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 83

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yup, your Parrot has a serious case of Parrot Bill!!! :D

A Parrot's bill will transition during the year as like Human finger nails they grow a bit at a time, but with Parrots they transition is shape and that can result in areas that are a bit 'crusty' looking. With time, the area will smooth back out. NOTE: It is not unusual for the beak to develop some flaking from time to time, so just a heads up.

The nasal area can look a bit crusty also. Commonly in this area, we watch for blockage of the holes as common dust, new feather crusts, etc. can become logged in them. More common during the Winter months.

At seven months, your buddy maybe trying out new vocalizations, it a perfect time to be providing contact calls the the two of you can share.

Mites can be a concern. As you are providing fingers for releasing new feathers, be watchful of clumps /mounds of dry skin or patches with a like appearance.

Assure that the dry food you are providing spend at least a couple of weeks in the freezer to kill any bugs. We like to use two months prior to use just cause. Repackage what you buy into at most one weeks use and date /number the packages to assure that you rotate as you use. Take-out only what you are going to use for the coming week.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The grooving in the bill, the swelling, and bit of feather loss around the beak indicate an infection, time for an again vet visit.

Often times birds that eat seeds only have low vitamin A and that makes them get respiratory infections much easier. Offer red chili peppers , and other veggies and leafy greens.

Ok read you feed good stuff
Since this is a new bird and young? I would have the vet check for psticossus ( darn canā€™t get spelling right) itā€™s also called parrot fever chronic respiratory bacterial infection, needs antibiotics
Iā€™m to sad and stressed to help more sorry

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts