Cry for HELP! :)

BeachFind

Nov 26, 2013
Clearwater Beach FL
Parrots
Sun Conure
So my last thread was a desperate cry to rehome a conure that flew into our lives. My family members were not happy with me at all, they've come quite attached to it. Everyday I feel as though I am making progress, and it is going to trust me enough to finally get it out of the cage or at least pet its head. I learned that the loud way yesterday! Anytime my hand goes near it in the cage it goes nuts. So my question is, is it true that every day I need to get it out and hold it for a few minutes? Even though it will be chaos to get it in what I suspect at this point would have to be a towel?? I talked to a lady at a local pet store yesterday and that was the advise she gave me. She said to get it out and not worry about the struggle, because if I don't it will OWN me! :) I'm afraid that's already happening, as of Wednesday, it will not quiet down unless I am in the room. I begged the pet shop lady to do a house call training session with me :) Anyway, I'm still reading away, and its quiet for now.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Look up clicker training on youtube. I hear that's very successful with bird behavior.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
No experience with a cockatiel,but that grabbing a frightene ird and pullling him out of cage advise sounds harsh. Since he is already starteing to get attached to u as evidenced by the calling when u r out of sight, perhaps u can coax him out with a treat, or at least to the door of the cage. Then maybe on to a stick or perch that u r holding in your hand.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
My opinion: do not ever towel a bird unless it is absolutely necessary. Forcing the bird to go in the cage or grabbing it with a towel would betray any trust you may have built up with it. It you spend a half hour trying to bond with a bird, and then you forcefully shove it back in the cage, you're undoing that half-hour of work. I would guess that the screaming is contact calls, which just means the bird is trying to find out where you are and what you're doing. This is a great sign if you want the bird to become bonded to you, because it means it likes you to be nearby. However, it is an issue if the bird is being excessively loud. The best method I've heard of to untrain this behavior is just to not respond when the bird calls. It wants you to call back, so just ignore it. Don't make any sound the bird can hear, and absolutely don't go into the room until the bird is quiet. It might take some time, but eventually the bird will learn that calling loudly gets no response and will stop.

And for getting it out of the cage without force: clicker training!!! Clicker training is not hard, and it can work wonders. Look up target training, too. This is a good way to be able to move a bird around, even when it doesn't want to be picked up.

Hope this helps!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I agree with everything Julianna said. Toweling should only be used as a last resort...being toweled can be very scary for them, and if he associates YOU toweling him with spending time with you, and it being scary he won't want to spend time with you :( Earning a bird's trust takes time...and sometimes it can take a while. But you (including the rest of your family) need to be patient and don't rush things.

Sit by his cage, read a book to him, give him treats through the bars, spend quality one-on-one time with him...every day. Eventually your relationship with him take off :)

Good luck! :)

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Hi Beach - I just wanted to add that building trust takes time - and it can be months. Get some nutri-berries, and give them to the bird as a treat, be the person that gives him food, baby-talk him, soothing. I think a Sun Conure is one of the most beautiful birds, but they also have a reputation for being LOUD, and that's just how it is. Take your time with it (I would also name it!) so that it learns it's name, be patient, patience is key. I admire you for taking the step of wanting to train it, that this bird has gone from 'please take him' to 'how can I bond with him' so that is progress. Some members are recommending clicker training to you, and their opinions are valuable - I have no experience with that as my species are small. Just don't get frustrated, take responsibility for all feeding and treats, and maybe this isn't the time to towel him either, if you want him to come out of his cage, make sure the enviroment is safe (no dogs, no open windows, etc) and just leave the cage door open while you are seated nearby - see what happens. You may find he IS trained already to some extent, but is just traumatized losing his owner and whole enviroment. Also, is there a wild population of Sun Conure's in your area? You could have a feral bird and not even know it. Again, patience is key and don't get yourself worked up - slow and steady will win this race. Good luck.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Sounds like he's chosen you anyway. You could just pull the drapes, dim the lights and sounds a bit and let him out. I've never waited months to start with them and always had very tame birds. I've found it's best to start letting them out after a few days while their minds are open to new things. And those were untame birds, he's tame already. Just another point if view. :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Bribery.

Find something he'll do absolutely anything for and then you be the only source of it. My birds like to lick honey or peanut butter from my fingers. In the beginning, I would sit very quietly for ages, just holding them and allowing them to lick the treats (very thinly smeared) from my fingers. If your bird is afraid of your hand, you could start by getting comfortable and sitting with your hand just in his cage, holding a long treat like a millet spray for him to nibble. Shorten the distance whenever you can until he'll come close enough to your hand. Then, try a bit of peanut butter on your fingertip. It smells, so most birds notice it and will have a go. Most birds are also not stupid and will lick it rather than biting your finger off - but do be careful! LOL!

Quiet and calm is most helpful. Be alone with the bird, have the TV/radio off and move slowly and calmly. Speak quietly and don't hurry anything. The bird has to be coaxed to come to you, not the other way around. And patience is a virtue - spend as long as it takes to make a bit of progress and try to end on a positive note.

Best of luck with it and do keep us up to date with your progress! :)

OP
BeachFind

BeachFind

Nov 26, 2013
Clearwater Beach FL
Parrots
Sun Conure
Yeah, this is about where we are! If the photo worked. I've made it so that if it wants to take treats from my hands it has to come to me. Working well! I just can't believe people would tell me to jerk it out of the cage. Soooo glad I didn't do that! Progress for sure!!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 278

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Yes!!! You could try putting the peanut butter in the centre of your palm so birdy has to step onto you in order to get some. Once he's there, keep shovelling treats into him. It won't hurt for a short while as you're gaining his trust. He might even let you slowly bring him out to face you (keep shovelling treats).

Great progress! Keep up the good work! :)

Most Reactions