Cuddly GCC

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
So I have had my GCC, Ziva, for about a week and a half now. She is such a sweet and cuddly bird. In fact I am typing this with one hand because she is sleeping in my other hand right now. I have gone from 'how to get her to come to me' to a velcro bird. She loves to have her head scratched, and 'helps' me type too. She is always trying to get under my hand, the little brat. Here is one photo I have of her.

DSC_00052.jpg

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
Awe, she's so cute !!! GCC's are such little clowns : )

OP
Annageckos

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
I was wondering if this is a GCC thing or is it just my crazy GCC. She HAS to be under my hand, or chin. Or shirt, like now. When she is out on me she snuggles up under my hand and rest her beak on my middle finger so my index finger is on top of her head and I rub the back of her head with my thumb. Is it common for GCC to be so cuddly?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
She loooves you! :) and your baby is just the best baby in the world!!! No, I'm not biased ah. ;)

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
I was wondering if this is a GCC thing or is it just my crazy GCC. She HAS to be under my hand, or chin. Or shirt, like now. When she is out on me she snuggles up under my hand and rest her beak on my middle finger so my index finger is on top of her head and I rub the back of her head with my thumb. Is it common for GCC to be so cuddly?
You seem worried, I wouldn't be. There are a lot of people on here that would probably die to have this same problem you do! :)

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Yeah, it's a GCC thing. They like enclosed spaces. Scooter likes to sit on my thumb with my hand curled around him. Until he gets bored, then he's off to pry the keys off my keyboard or something.

He also likes kleenex boxes, tunneling under the cage paper in his playtop tray and his Happy Hut. They are cavity nesters that live in the nests all the time I have read, and so it feel homelike and cozy to be in a "cavity" I presume.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Yeah, it's a GCC thing. They like enclosed spaces. Scooter likes to sit on my thumb with my hand curled around him. Until he gets bored, then he's off to pry the keys off my keyboard or something.

He also likes kleenex boxes, tunneling under the cage paper in his playtop tray and his Happy Hut. They are cavity nesters that live in the nests all the time I have read, and so it feel homelike and cozy to be in a "cavity" I presume.

True. Also being co-parented means that she was sleeping/hanging out in the breeding box which is a grandfather style (vertical), deep and dark very much like the cavity of a tree, until fledging (7 weeks old). From there they all share a huge tent so yes she feels very secure when under a hand, chin and such.

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
U are lucky my boys give kisses, sit on my shoulder and I can touch their beaks. Otherwise I can't give them scritches at all.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
Mine LOVES her head and little cheeks scratched ... It's funny cause her head double in size . She also loves to crawl in our shirts and hangout and snooze.

OP
Annageckos

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
You seem worried, I wouldn't be. There are a lot of people on here that would probably die to have this same problem you do! :)

Not worried, just curious is all. I am very happy she is cuddly. I just wasn't familiar with GCC. I love her bratty personality.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
U are lucky my boys give kisses, sit on my shoulder and I can touch their beaks. Otherwise I can't give them scritches at all.

Same here, my Gcc does not like head scratches. He does his own head scratches and does it quite well. Sometimes I get a few scratches in while he is massaging his head and he is fine until he realizes what I am doing and then it is rrrrraaaannnnkkk...a little sound he makes when he is mad. LOL

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
So I have had my GCC, Ziva, for about a week and a half now. She is such a sweet and cuddly bird. In fact I am typing this with one hand because she is sleeping in my other hand right now. I have gone from 'how to get her to come to me' to a velcro bird. She loves to have her head scratched, and 'helps' me type too. She is always trying to get under my hand, the little brat. Here is one photo I have of her.

DSC_00052.jpg

You are so very lucky to have Ziva. Both my Molly and Cody are velcro babies also. They love to be with my as much as possible. Enjoy your life's new blessing! Also, both of mine fall asleep on my chest, under my fleece, every night until I put them in their cage them I'm off to bed. I love them so much and could not imagine never having them in my life.

Last edited:

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!

Same here, my Gcc does not like head scratches. He does his own head scratches and does it quite well. Sometimes I get a few scratches in while he is massaging his head and he is fine until he realizes what I am doing and then it is rrrrraaaannnnkkk...a little sound he makes when he is mad. LOL

OMG! crowley does that too and i haven't seen anyone describe the noise that he makes that well ever! it's such a little whiny, b@#$%y noise lol. so funny though because they think they're being intimidating... BAHAHHAH.

Most Reactions

Latest posts