Cute little possum ;)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I know i know, its a parrot forum not a possum forum right!!! hahahaha

But i just had to share these pics of Smeagol!!

He is like no other possum.. MOST baby possums will curl up in their pouch.. Smeagol HATES his pouch.. he always has... he climbs out, and just stretches out as much as he can..

I cant get him to sleep in a pouch at all, he just climbs out and lies in a blanket!

This is how i have found him during the days:

and this is how hes asleep tonight!!

I dont want him to grow up

He is already starting on solid foods, not alot, but he ate his first leaf today!!!

and the other day he nibbled on an apple!

He has doubled his size since i first got him, as you can see! He honestly looks bigger each day!

Who needs a dog when you can have one of these cuddling you ! hahaha

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Tab, Sméagol is THE cutest possum in the world. NO doubt about that. I'm laughing at the very first picture. He looks like a little Buddha in it.

He is so incredibly cuddly, and SO sweet!!! You sure make one fantastic possum mum. :)

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
AWW so cute and cuddly. It is going to be hard for you to give the little guy up when it is time. Is Fargo still trying to mother him ?

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahahaha its crazy to think its been a month since i have had a proper sleep! ;)

Smeagol was having a dream before, i assume he was dancing to Thriller? :09:

and then he just played dead

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
AWW so cute and cuddly. It is going to be hard for you to give the little guy up when it is time. Is Fargo still trying to mother him ?

Haha might be easier when he is big and mean ;) Wont be weaned until december, so still a few months to go! :)

Oh yes, Fargo just loves him.. :rolleyes:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
OMG! Cuteness overload!!!! I've never seen such a cute possum!!!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha i dont even remember my other possums being this cute! :rolleyes:

He has the fluffiest softest fur ever!! :09:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Little Smeagol have gotten bigger! He's so very cute!!!!! ;)

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Oh Tab I just love him!!!! :07: Thanks for sharing these pics I just had a good laugh!! Give Smeagol and Fargo a kiss for me!!!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yes alot bigger! He was 150 grams when i got him, and last week i weighed him and he was 270.. i will weigh him today, i assume he will be 300+

Fargo and him had a little play session this morning...

All Fargo wants to do is lick him!!!!! Just obsessed

Smeagol gave him a kiss on his cheek hahaha

and then Smeagol went back to sleep....

So peaceful hahahah

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
this may be a silly question but why can't you keep him? is it illegal?

can you just keep him and not tell anyone?....maybe....??

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh i could keep him, i have my wildlife membership thing, but i cant exactly keep a 4kg, 80cm possum in my room hahahaha ;)

I guess we could keep him in an aviary outside, but wouldnt be much of a life really :/

When he is released, he goes in an aviary outside in the trees, and then he can come and go as he pleases, but we have possums around here, so i assume he will just join their family and not bother coming back to me when hes older! :)

They remember though, i had one of mine come back months later, HUGE, but he remembered me and let me cuddle him haha

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I think it's the best reward, when they are thankful for helping them, are back with their kind, and yet still remember you and let you cuddle them!!!! Can't get any wilder than that!!!! What an experience! What will you rehabilitate next???? A baby kangaroo??? :)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I have been enjoying your possum threads very much. The pictures of Fargo's big black tongue trying to lick his little friend are too funny.

A question has been niggling at me. Chewing at me because I just don't know. What the possum eats must eventually come out. How do you potty your little friend? Where does he go to relieve himself? With the baby I am sure it is not TONS of waste but was wondering how you handled that? Is this something that is taught or is it instinct?

I also think its cute he does not care for his fake mommy pouch. He prefers to be next to your warmth with you. How adorable!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Haha well kangaroos are not so common, you get them, but theres usually a huge wait list, cause everyone wants one!

Then there are wallabies, they are alot more common, cause they are out in the bush, and people just hit them with their cars driving around at night, so the babies have to be rescued !
But then again lots of people want to do a wallaby as well!!

Wallabies are ALOT harder to look after, cause they hop around on the floor, and run outside, and they are FAST ;) haha

I will just see whatever comes up next, the wildlife carer calls me and tells me if there is a baby needing a home!
So maybe a wallaby, maybe a possum, i think we can do sugar gliders as well! But they are rare ! :p

HAHA Rebecca, good question ;)

When they are in the mothers pouch, the mum licks them so they go to the toilet, so what we have to do, is just rub a little piece of toilet paper and he will automatically go! :)

Just do it every 3 hours, and so he never makes a mess or has an accident in his pouch or on me! :p hahaha

He has only once had an accident in his pouch! Otherwise he is perfect! :D

Luckily it doesnt smell bad either!

Hahaha Fargo is so silly, i wont let him touch him with his tongue, even though there are no diseases, i still dont want him touching him, so he just reaches as far as he can with his tongue :')

Kinda looks like he smiles when hes sleeping

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Oh i could keep him, i have my wildlife membership thing, but i cant exactly keep a 4kg, 80cm possum in my room hahahaha ;)

I guess we could keep him in an aviary outside, but wouldnt be much of a life really :/

When he is released, he goes in an aviary outside in the trees, and then he can come and go as he pleases, but we have possums around here, so i assume he will just join their family and not bother coming back to me when hes older! :)

They remember though, i had one of mine come back months later, HUGE, but he remembered me and let me cuddle him haha

oh wow, I din't realize they grow to that size:eek::eek:, ha ha

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahahaha if he stayed the size he is now, that would be good ;) Could keep him in my room then! :p

' They have a head and body length of 32–58 cm.. with a tail length of 24–40 cm..
It weighs 1.2-4.5 kg... Males are generally larger than females'

Smeagol is going to be a big boy, he is just so chunky and thick! :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts