cuttlebones?

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
Hi folks...my avian vet said I didn't need to put cuttlebones in my birds cages because they get everything they need in their pellets and chop. But I feel like I should? Do you all put cuttlebones in your birds cages and if so what brand? Thanks!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Personally, I donā€™t use cuttlebone and havenā€™t for close to a year.

Iā€™ve found itā€™s not really necessary and, your vet is correct, a varied diet of chop, pellets, sprouts etc. should provided your bird with adequate nutrition, of course, only if your bird is eating everything offered.

I do give the budgies a manu block and am thinking about getting one for the other birds too as they really seem to enjoy chewing it.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I donā€™t use a cuttlebone either, and I donā€™t supplement calcium. From what I understand you shouldnā€™t need to unless you are breeding your birds and theyā€™re actively laying. Your vet will know from their blood work if they have and deficiency issues and can help you address it through diet changes!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I give cuttle bones as a safety measure especially for Ms Egg Laying Apollo.

I have also begun supplementing Lincoln with calcium as his bloodtests were coming back that he was really low in calcium.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I don't use them, they are a good grooming tool but that's about it for me. Some birds can actually be receiving too much calcium from pellets, so I wouldn't ever try supplementing without professional advice.
Out of curiosity I did a bit of reading into calcium and birds a while ago, while cuttlebone can provide calcium it's not the most bioavailable form of it. My conclusion I came to was, it's one of the most reccomend basically because it's one of the cheapest forms.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I never used to use them and my birds seemed fine without them. I did get some recently and some of them absolutely loved them. My co worker recently went to the beach and brought me back a cuttlefish and the flock are going crazy for it so it's something I'm going to keep for them.

TaylorLincoln99

Sep 7, 2022
Media
Parrots
Fiona (Indian Ringneck)
Hi folks...my avian vet said I didn't need to put cuttlebones in my birds cages because they get everything they need in their pellets and chop. But I feel like I should? Do you all put cuttlebones in your birds cages and if so what brand? Thanks!
Hi! my vet told me the same thing. She said if the bird likes it, it wouldnā€™t hurt to give it to them but most birds (in her experience) havenā€™t enjoyed or needed cuttlebones.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I have one in Onaā€™s cage but she never touches it.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have one in Onaā€™s cage but she never touches it.
I wonder about how important chewing on wood and other things is for beak health. I've budgies that never gnaw on anything and their beaks are in great condition and never need trimming. And I've had a couple budgies that needed regular beak trims regardless of how much wood they gnawed on. I don't think parrot beaks are like rodent teeth that continue to grow during their lives and must be worn down by gnawing on wood.
I'm more convinced that underlying metabolic diseases cause parrots beaks to chronically overgrowth. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
I have one in my cockatiels cage only because in May she layed an egg and I heard calcium was good. Iā€™ve just kept it in her cage ever since then. Sheā€™ll sometimes chew some but itā€™s not everyday thing. Sheā€™s also my picky bird who will not eat certain things. She eats less pellets out of my other two birds so I figured it wouldnā€™t hurt.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I have cuttlebone in both of my cages. With a proper diet, it isnt needed, although I would still keep one in there just in case, especially for a hen.

But, neither of my birds are on a proper diet, but are on the path to it.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I buy these......Just because the budgies and the conures love chewing on them and it keeps them from chewing on the blinds....

20230727_164613.jpg

They kept eating them and this was my solution now they ignore the wood and if they get calcium great.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I buy these......Just because the budgies and the conures love chewing on them and it keeps them from chewing on the blinds....

View attachment 53047

They kept eating them and this was my solution now they ignore the wood and if they get calcium great.
It looks like they did a number on your blinds. I find that some of my budgies love chewing cuttlebones but just quickly reduce them to a pile of cuttlebone dust for me to clean up. I guess they must swallow some of it.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Oh it all becomes dust. But better than vacuuming splinters of wood.

Most Reactions