D2 minor behavioral issues

iamdomain123

Jul 14, 2015
Hello everyone! I've seen posts on here before and have gotten help that way, so I finally decided to join today! My beloved ducorps cockatoo, Willoughby, is amazing. Such a joy to have in the house, but has his moments (as do all birds).

Lately he has been bothered by his left wing, and I think one of his blood feather is bent. Still awaiting a vet appt. Willoughby is 10 months old, hand-fed, but seems to have some kinks. I try to do small training sessions during the week as often as I can, and have achieved "step up" off of his tree stand in the living room. However, anytime he is in or on his cage, stepping up goes out the window. He isn't being aggressive but gives me pinches when I try to get him to step up off his cage. He gives kisses on command, but not due to my training (I believe an employee at the bird emporium taught him this.)

He is a DNA tested male, and is bonding with me more and more everyday. I have taken him downtown on his harness, to friends and relatives houses, and he likes traveling with me but HATES his harness.

His diet isn't great right now. He gets fed 1/2 cup daily of ZuPreem fruitblend for ML birds. He loves it, and I give him a trail mix of raisins, pumpkin kernels, pomegranate arils, dried cranberries, almonds, cashews and shelled peanuts as treats. He will not TOUCH fresh fruits or veggies. Only grains, nuts and pellets. What should I do??

Any recommendations for my D2? I used to own a jenday conure who passed in April. I love my D2 and want to work with him everyday to become well disciplined, as much as he can.

Thanks everyone!!

Holly the U2

Apr 17, 2015
Phila, PA
Parrots
Holly - U2
Getting them to eat fresh fruits or veggies can be challenging. My M2 will eat any fresh fruits or veggies that I present to him, my U2 won't touch them, I've tried every fresh fruits or veggies out there. She will eat dried banana chips, pineapple or mango pieces though.

Trial and error, try giving him a different piece everyday.

I go to shop rite & buy the veggie tray (it has carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, pepper & tomatoes (don't give him the tomatoes) & the fruit salad has watermelon, apples, strawberries, kiwi & grapes). In the nut section that have dried fruit that you can try but try the fresh first.

good luck

try eating some in front of him, toos love to have whatever it is you have.

OP
iamdomain123

iamdomain123

Jul 14, 2015
Getting them to eat fresh fruits or veggies can be challenging. My M2 will eat any fresh fruits or veggies that I present to him, my U2 won't touch them, I've tried every fresh fruits or veggies out there. She will eat dried banana chips, pineapple or mango pieces though.

Trial and error, try giving him a different piece everyday.

I go to shop rite & buy the veggie tray (it has carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, pepper & tomatoes (don't give him the tomatoes) & the fruit salad has watermelon, apples, strawberries, kiwi & grapes). In the nut section that have dried fruit that you can try but try the fresh first.

good luck

try eating some in front of him, toos love to have whatever it is you have.

Thanks a lot for your response. My D2 will hopefully start eating more and more as he gets older and I work with him more.

As for the pinching behavior, is this normal for a cockatoo? My D2 is not particularly cuddly, although when he is calm he will chill on the couch with me while I watch TV with my family. I've reinforced quiet behavior, so he learns that screaming gets him no attention and his chatter gets him praise. I just want some tips on how to properly discipline him more so he learns to stop the light biting behavior because it is annoying. My D2 is not a screamer and I am very grateful of this.

I'd love to see pics of everyone's 2's!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
When you present fresh fruits and vegetables, remove the seed dish! Some of my cockatoo's favorite foods are yams, sweet potatoes, pomegranate seeds, peas, endamame in the shell, pear, garbanzo beans, corn on the cob, (given sparingly) cooked 100% whole grain spiral noodles, banana, melon seeds, string cheese, (small bit once weekly) etc. Even though each has favorites, I relentlessly offer an assortment because even though it gets tossed overboard, one day they might try it and like a new food. You are part of the "flock", so eating in front of them and bobbing your head in enjoyment (even if not) makes an impression!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Jonesy my Goffin is VERY territorial of his house! He refuses to step up,preferring to run all around his roof. I have tried to get him to step up,to the point where he BITES the hand that feeds him! :mad::11:

If he is off his house,he has no problem <most of the time lol> climbing up.

As far as food goes, he will eat peas and corn niblets,cherry chunks without the pit,sometimes watermelon and a piece of 'nanna. I was shocked when I got him and Amy one of those seed sticks you hang in the cage..he ever so gently pulled pieces of seed and munched down,where Amy just rips it apart in 5 minutes. Chicken leg bones he likes,as does Amy.
He has noshed on unsalted French fries..pieces of green pepper and COOKED carrots..scrambled eggs it a piece of melted cheese.

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
As for the pinching behavior, is this normal for a cockatoo?

Oh yeah, I refer to this as "birdie discipline." They bite when angry or frightened, and pinch as their way of "controlling" you. I interpret the pinch as "I don't like what you are doing, stop!" Usually a stern "NO!" lets them know it is unacceptable. However, if I'm doing something they just don't like, it is respectful to cease. As an example, most of my Goffins are cuddly, but sometimes I cuddle them beyond their desire and receive a pinch. In that case I'll discontinue without comment - we all know each other very well!!

Most Reactions