Daily diet - what do you offer

LauraT

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots
Baxter - Senegal, Reilly - Blue Crown Conure, Robinson - Red Bellied Parrot
Just curious what everyone offers for daily food...What do you leave out and available all day?
I leave pellets available all day, he munches those throughout the day. I have one of the Golden Feast dry blends in his bowl on his play gym to snack on whenever he is out. I give him his warm cooked breakfast when he goes back in his cage in the morning. Midday he gets his chop meal. At night he gets a piece or corn cob or cut fresh veggies to munch.
I had a seed blend (base was safflower seeds) with dried friuts, veggies... that I would put a small amount in the cage. He would eat the safflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and a few other things, but leave most of the little dried things. Now that I am clicker training him I use Safflower Seeds, so I have removed them from his cage foods.
I am wondering if I should be finding a different seed blend to offer in small amounts. I was looking at the Hagen blend Hagen Tropimix Small Parrot BULK PER POUND - HAGEN by MY SAFE BIRD STORE but am not sure if that is just the same as the Bountiful Harvest and so on...
Thoughts?

Last edited:

bumblebec

Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Lola the Sun Conure & Mimi the Nanday Conure
Lola and Mimi share a bowl of pellets daily, they kinda graze on them through out the day. I spinkle the top with a bit of seed mix for some variety, and Mimi usually steals/eats it all before Lola, so I give Lola a small secret bowl of seeds in the morning.

They get peanuts, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds or pistachios in their foraging pods, cups and toys for the day.

They also get a bowl of cut up veggie mix with is usually beans, broccoli, pumpkin, corn, peas, carrot, capsicum and peppers.

Lastly, they get a fruit kebab that has anything from apple, pineapple, mango, passionfruit, pear, banana, grapes, strawberries, rockmelon, honey dew melon… I try to give them variety and 3-4 different chunks of fruit each day, depending on what’s in season. :)

Sometimes they’ll get a small bowl of cooked pasta, rice or mash mixed with peas, corn and carrot, maybe like once a fortnight.

It seems like a lot, but it usually only takes me about 15-20mins in the morning to get it all ready for them.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
other than their seed mix, organic fruit/veggies..........whatever we're eating morning, noon & night :rolleyes:

Whenever I'm in the kitchen cooking they get REALLY loud........oh, and I do all the cooking here. :20:

headfeathermistress

Apr 22, 2012
Media
Battle Ground WA
Parrots
CAGs
Quaker
Poicephalus
Budgies
Green Cheek
I offer seed and pellet mix. Then Dave's Killer Bread for Breakfast and what ever veg we are having for dinner
I try to mix it up every couple days.
Also been offering fresh veggie juice as I make it

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Kazi gets 2-4 different veggies and occasionally fruit (cooked and raw) with each meal (2x a day). That makes up about half the content of his dish. The other half is Nutriberries, Pelletberries or Roudybush pellets.

I also add Avi-Calm to every meal and, at least when he's not hormonal, a tiny bit of almond butter made with palm nut oil a few times a week. He gets *very* excited when that's included. It's less than half a teaspoon most of the time, but it's enough to get him all worked up! (it's also a good way to get him to try something new!)

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
pellets all day/year round (harrisons fine) and towards winter the occasional portion of seeds.
Lunch: a mixture of fruits (apple, mango, pear, papaya,...), small pieces of bread, and sometimes a little bit of OJ poured over it.
Dinner: depending on what we have, some of that - or a mix of lukewarm vegies (beansprouts, brocolli, sweetpotato, carrot....)
Snacks: pinenuts and blueberries are the favorites, or a brocolli/banana muffin i make sometimes.

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
Wow your birdies have really varied diets. Basil (one year old peach faced lovebird) has been with me for four months and converted to Harrison's pellets (fine) after being on a seed mix diet at his previous residence. He likes green veggies (broccoli, kale, cooked peas, romaine) but won't try anything orange or red. He refuses to try fruit. I made him some birdie bread but he just flung it out of his dish onto the bottom of his cage. We use seeds for treats and millet balls for training.

Most Reactions