damaged tail feathers concern

theresema

Jun 19, 2023
Parrots
kakarikis
Please can someone tell me why this is happening to my birds feathers? Iā€™m getting really worried over it. Theyā€™re completely falling apart. Thank you!

Attachments

• 3BFCB908-B20C-4C00-8884-F414A8B68200.png
    3BFCB908-B20C-4C00-8884-F414A8B68200.png
    582 KB · Views: 29
  • 7BF33D43-3EB0-48A6-9E16-589F6BEB279F.png
    7BF33D43-3EB0-48A6-9E16-589F6BEB279F.png
    605.8 KB · Views: 31

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

How old are your birds? Often, young birds are clumsy and will shred their tails up while moving around their cage.

OP
T

theresema

Jun 19, 2023
Parrots
kakarikis
Welcome to the forums!

How old are your birds? Often, young birds are clumsy and will shred their tails up while moving around their cage.
iā€™m not sure but they are quite young and that does sound like them haha. iā€™m just worried because itā€™s gotten to a point where on one of sunnys tail feathers one side of the feather has literally nothing there at all. thank you!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
iā€™m not sure but they are quite young and that does sound like them haha. iā€™m just worried because itā€™s gotten to a point where on one of sunnys tail feathers one side of the feather has literally nothing there at all. thank you!
Is their cage setup in a at to minimize them hitting their tails on things?

My little sparrows tail always looks pretty rough because she has a low cage due to being disabled.

OP
T

theresema

Jun 19, 2023
Parrots
kakarikis
Is their cage setup in a at to minimize them hitting their tails on things?

My little sparrows tail always looks pretty rough because she has a low cage due to being disabled.
iā€™m not sure how to minimise it, do you have any ideas? it looks soo much worse now i feel like an awful owneršŸ˜­

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
iā€™m not sure how to minimise it, do you have any ideas? it looks soo much worse now i feel like an awful owneršŸ˜­
Well, could you post a picture of their cage so that maybe we can give you advice on how to arrange things so they hit their tails less?

And youā€™re not an awful owner!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Well, could you post a picture of their cage so that maybe we can give you advice on how to arrange things so they hit their tails less?

When a bird is young and clumsy like this and the tail feathers have gotten really shredded would it make any sense to trim the shredded ends off while waiting for new ones to grow in?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
When a bird is young and clumsy like this and the tail feathers have gotten really shredded would it make any sense to trim the shredded ends off while waiting for new ones to grow in?
I would think not, as I donā€™t think there is a purpose in it.
A youngā€™s birds tail looking like this is probably more common than not, and I think trimming off the shredded ends would probably affect the birds balance further.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I would think not, as I donā€™t think there is a purpose in it.
A youngā€™s birds tail looking like this is probably more common than not, and I think trimming off the shredded ends would probably affect the birds balance further.
I agree. Just wanted other opinions. They will grow nice after they molt.

OP
T

theresema

Jun 19, 2023
Parrots
kakarikis

Iā€™m getting them a bigger rectangular cage v soon which should help and i can add more too it.

Attachments

• E3293280-E6CE-4324-AA86-998D7D95B360.png
    E3293280-E6CE-4324-AA86-998D7D95B360.png
    608.9 KB · Views: 21

Most Reactions

Latest posts