Dander?

PicklesParrot

Feb 25, 2013
Florida
Parrots
Male SI Eclectus
Ive been looking into getting a macaw recently. Unfortunately I have allergies to dander. I had a cockatiel and some parakeets before and I could barely breath. I ended up having to rehome them. I do have an eclectus and he doesn't bother me at all. How is the dander with a Macaw? Is it bad? Does he have any? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks! There isn't a lot online about this issue.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
When people are allergic to parrots it's most often cockatoos and cockatiels. The other parrot species *usually* don't bother people. At most, African greys, since they are also dusty birds. If someone is allergic to their bird and it's not a dusty bird, I question if it might be food or something inside the cage rather than the bird itself.

So, with that said, macaws *should* be pretty fine for you! But then, ekkies are generally considered the "perfect parrot" for people with allergies (I would think lories and lorikeets should also fall into that category?).

You just might need to go hang out with some macaws and find out for yourself!

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Macaws carry no feather like dander, but they are a larger bird and can create a larger mess so the could mess with you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts