Danger of multiple species

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
O first posted in July, but this has been going since April. I can't stand it, its killing me....

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh this is very sad news indeed Laurasea, but of course you must do what you think is best to keep Cloudy safe from attack. Hopefully you can find a solution to keep everyone safe!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Obviously I'm to upset to think clearly right now.
I've stopped on top of cage attacks. But Ta-dah is now chasing Cloudy.
laurasea-albums-keets-picture21893-img-20191016-162903691.jpg

laurasea-albums-keets-picture21653-img-20190813-075329218.jpg

laurasea-albums-keets-picture20870-img-20181130-103407457-2.jpg

My other budgie never gets attacked. But Cloudy loves all the birds, and has suffered from multiple attacks from Ta-dah.
He loves everybody!
Despite that he keeps going up to her, there is no learning curve here. He has lost several toes.
laurasea-albums-keets-picture20945-img-20181226-145444013-2.jpg

laurasea-albums-keets-picture21112-img-20180727-125733893-3.jpg

My budgies are free in the house 24/7tge rest of my birds are free as long as I'm home.

They are a flock. They move through the house together. They all come sit on me together, and the budgies perch near. They all eat together, take baths together. Despite 30 perches spread out they stay bunched together and move to different areas together ....The only one on one time is night snuggles with Ta-dah, she chose 830 pm and her one on one time.

I know a bunch of you manage your birds differently...

I could set up a spare bedroom as just the budgie room. I don't think they would be happy like that. I do want the very best for them. I don't want cloudy maimed further or killed.

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
He doesn't deserve this!!!!! This my fault!!!! Do you all really think I should not re-home him with Clear his buddy to a parakeet only home?? ( If I can find one?
laurasea-albums-keets-picture21892-img-20191018-162958750-hdr.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I think you should try the separate room option first. Cloudy and Clear would keep each other company I’m quite sure, and they can probably have supervised visits with the rest of the flock. I know how gut-wrenching it is to witness one of your birds attacking another but rehoming can be problematic too.

I hope you can work something out!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I agree with LaManuka.

I don't think suparating would make them unhappy. The best contacts always are with the same species. I know how social budgies are but when there is another budgie (like in your case), you usually can suparate. Ta-dah is only one conure but if she attacks, suparating won't be any problem. Probably* (*I think) Ta-dah has better contact with your QP's. Also, this shouldn't make unhappy the QP's. Penny, Neptune and Pikatchu like Clear and Cloudy shoud have the best contact themselve as the the same species. That's my opinion

Last edited:

Aspie_Aviphile

Jul 19, 2018
England
Parrots
Biddy, budgie, departed 2nd Sept 2018; Bo, Indian Ringneck, 5th Feb 2020; </3
Could you regularly switch which room each set of birds is in, so they aren't permanently confined to one particular room each? And have play dates between the budgies and the other group except Tadah?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Just noticed this ongoing thread, Laura. Very sorry to see your best efforts have been thwarted by a very stubborn Ta-dah. You are so attached to your flock, I'd recommend a complete trial separation in different parts of your home. Might not flow as easily, but you can enjoy them in a more compartmentalized manner. If you try and find it untenable, re-homing may be the best outcome.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Cloudy us such a special loving parakeet. It just kills me that he has been hurt. I had a panic attack last night, and then insomnia I didn't sleep but two hours....

But I did spend time thinking about Tadahs attacks.

And once again I'm the cause. I moved Ta-dah to a new cage a few days ago, I also moved her cage to the spot sheijes to sit, on Pennys cage. Sonow her favorite spot to sit will be on her cage. All of this plus the addition of the new Quaker... Well to me that's the cause of this attack.. Ta-dah is acting out the only way she can with her beak.

Today everything had been calm. The budgie is eating playing and even say near Ta-dah without attacks.
I will work on a budgie room and see how things go..

Aspie_Aviphile

Jul 19, 2018
England
Parrots
Biddy, budgie, departed 2nd Sept 2018; Bo, Indian Ringneck, 5th Feb 2020; </3
Are you sure that Cloudy is the one of the two who would be less upset about being rehomed? It sounds like he is the one who would miss the company of the rest of his flock, whereas Ta-dah would be happier not sharing her environment with so many birds.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Are you sure that Cloudy is the one of the two who would be less upset about being rehomed? It sounds like he is the one who would miss the company of the rest of his flock, whereas Ta-dah would be happier not sharing her environment with so many birds.

Ta-dah is part of a bonded pair with Neptune's. They are smooched together most of the time. And she is very bonded with me. The budgies were re-homed to me. They used to all get along, Ta-dah used to realy like the budgies. But bird Dynamics change. And Ta-dah has been rightly upset with changing cages, and locations...
I'm working on it ......

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok I've been working on the budgie room. This is currently my art, junk, storage room. Woo wee a lot of stuff to get rid of a d go through,!!!
Gonna take a while... Also budgies have been free in house for year and three months or so, so catching them is going to be hard.

Also I have been working with Ta-dah. And doing observations of flock dynamic.

Ta-dah and I have mommy and me time every night around 830 pm for a half hour to hour of head scritches and girl talks. She also gets group head scritches and sweetie talks for about an hour during the day.
Today I've been making a point to go up to her say hi, give good eye contact 2-3 times an hour. She is out of cage with flock. I can tell a big difference right away, her eyes and demeanor have softened. She isn't interested in chasing the budgies.

Observation have revealed that my horney going through puberty Neptune is forcing a lot of sex and possessive bossy feelings on Ta-dah. Ta-dah loves Neptune, preens him, doesn't mind some sexy attention, but it's clear he is hounding her.

So now Neptune will be cages for an hour a day to give Ta-dah a break. Neptune is in his cage now playing and building , Ta-dah is taking a nap.

So progress. Also Cloudy the Budgie has been given a ton of millet treats. And is playing and chirping right now. This is him exploring a new coil rope I added for more places for the flock to hang out.
laurasea-albums-keets-picture21894-img-20191020-141502047.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions