Day 3 with "My Mango"

lisa6373

Mar 16, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Mango-Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I mentioned in another thread that I rushed things the first day home with Mango and my daughter and I both got bit. I mistakenly thought that since she was supposedly hand fed and I held her at the store that I could move things right along when we got home...wrong.

So I decided to take a step or several steps back and move slow. Yesterday and today I've sat at her cage and talked to her. She will take raisins from my hand but won't come towards me to get them. Only if I offer them right in front of her ( either through the bars or my hand in the cage). I sat for a while today with the door open and my hand right inside the opening holding a treat and she still wouldn't come.

Is it normal for the process to be this slow?

Also she doesn't play with any toys. She eats good and sits that's about it. I tried playing around with the toys to show her but she still won't budge.

Is the all part of getting used to her new surroundings? Will she eventually be the playful, lovable companion I was so excited for?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Each bird is different. They all go at their own pace. Take your time.

This one is very young, probably too young to be all that interested in toys yet...

Conures are pair bond birds. When they bond they bond. It doesn't necessarily happen overnight. Give it time. Let the bird settle in. It sometimes helps to wait until the bird is craving attention, and seeking it out. Let the bird come to you. Then give it what it wants...

Most Reactions

Latest posts