Sarcasia

Apr 12, 2015
Parrots
Fischer's/Masked mix Lovebird (Mango)
Jardine's Parrot (Bean)

Over the rainbow bridge:
Green Cheek Conure (Atai)
Hello everyone!
I just got my bird Atai 5 days ago, and I believe he is acclimating well (yay!). But I do have some questions. Atai is a year and a half, and came from a quiet home with two elderly owners, who had to give him up due to medical problems -- them, not him! So he went to Bird Haven, our local everything bird store and was there for a couple months before I found him and fell in love. At said store, birds are able to come out of their cages and sit on perches / interact with people during all hours (besides closing/opening). Great store, friendly birds. Atai already knows how to step up and step down, and he doesn't bite hard ^^ just when he wants to let me know he wants back in his cage... Which is about 20 minutes after I take him out.
This is where my questions come in! He never squawks loudly, just little chirps. But today I heard him *almost* yell from the back of his cage. So I took him out and put him on the perch on top, and he's been there about 30 minutes now, starting to chatter a bit. Whenever I go over to the cage to take him out, he goes to the back and expects me to stick my hand all the way in so he can step up. I'm assuming he's not afraid because as soon as my hand is next to him he steps up and expects to be taken out. But, how can I get him to come to the front? Also, how can I know he is content when he is out with me, when he just wants to go back in 20 minutes? I have many hours each day to spend with him, but I'm not sure if he actually enjoys the company. (Which is fine, he's only been here 5 days, I know it might just be a new home thing.)
My next question is when should I start training him basic tricks? Like I said, he enjoys being out with me, but only for very short amounts of time, and I'm not even sure if he likes cuddling much yet, or if he just hides under my chin for safety. Also, everyone says to give treats when training! Well, he doesn't like taking from my hand, and he's a very picky eater; he will only eat specific seeds from his food bowl when he wants to. I'm slowly getting him onto pellets, by the way.
He's also potty training, he goes on top of his cage when I take him out right away, or in his cage before I pick him up.
*Wipes brow* that's a lot. But, I'm not done yet! Muahahaha!
We have two cats. (Yes, I know, cats and a bird aren't a good mix.)
I would let him be out more in general on top of his cage if we didn't have them, I am just worried he will try and get down from his perch, and as much as I trust my cats... Well, they're cats. Is there a way to train him to not try and fly off his perch? I know I shouldn't just train him and trust he'll be fine, but it would be nice to be able to know he won't do it all the time xD
His wings came clipped, but I plan on letting them grow out so he will be able to fly away from the cats in time, when he is hopefully trained.
Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for answering any of my questions!

Last edited:

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Erm, my situation was different (my Pazu wants to be out with us all the time, not short bursts) so I don't know how effective this would be but I make my bird do something before coming out. Normally it's just that he has to go to a perch i tap to then he has to let me give him a tap or scritch through the bars (he can be chewy and sometimes aggressive with the shiny backs of the toys and perches but he's never bite me or anyone agressively though bars or in his cage) after he's done what I want he comes out. I guess a take on that for your situation might be using a spray of millet you get him to sit closer to the from of the cage before opening the door?

OP
Sarcasia

Sarcasia

Apr 12, 2015
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot (Bean)

Over the rainbow bridge:
Erm, my situation was different (my Pazu wants to be out with us all the time, not short bursts) so I don't know how effective this would be but I make my bird do something before coming out. Normally it's just that he has to go to a perch i tap to then he has to let me give him a tap or scritch through the bars (he can be chewy and sometimes aggressive with the shiny backs of the toys and perches but he's never bite me or anyone agressively though bars or in his cage) after he's done what I want he comes out. I guess a take on that for your situation might be using a spray of millet you get him to sit closer to the from of the cage before opening the door?

That could work, minus the fact that I don't think he likes millet xD and I'm not sure what else I could use! I want to get a target stick, but I'm not sure Atai would even try to bite it or if he would just stare it/walk away. But as soon as I open the door he goes to the back and hangs on the wall, no matter where he was in the cage before I opened it!

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
If he'll stay near you in his cage (not shift away as soon as you get close) try different foods as treats as you talk to him, popcorn, carrot, fruit (you'll find all you need to know of what foods are safe or not on the food and diet forums here) anything thats good for you but stay clear of any fruit seeds and pits.
If he wont do that then start by talking to him in a nearby chair, eat fruit in front of him (when he's braving being closer to you, you can use a bit of it to give him as a treat). Carrot sticks could work too, as you can chop them long and thin.

As for target training when he's a bit braver you could start by target training through the bars of his bar (he chews it), click, treat, repeat... That sounded easy in my head but to each bird and owner their own, it may be that easy or it may take more time. Patience is a big step in the parrot game, but goodluck.

OP
Sarcasia

Sarcasia

Apr 12, 2015
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot (Bean)

Over the rainbow bridge:
Well, he's brave, he loves to be on me, he just expects to be picked up from the back! Haha

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
Congrats on your new baby!

Perhaps the reason he expects you to reach your hand all the way in the back to get him... is because you reach your hand all the way in the back to get him. He's learned that in order to come out, he's supposed to climb to the back of the cage and you will stick your hand in and bring him out.

Just like with any unwanted behavior, you have to break him of what he has learned. Don't "give in" and reach your hand to the back, make him come forward. If he won't come to the front, maybe try leaving his cage door open so he finds his way out on his own, or at least comes to perch on the door itself. Then try approaching him that way.

As for why he only wants to come out for short bursts, I'm not sure. I would attribute that to him still being new and his cage probably feels like a safe place. Maybe he's only feeling adventurous enough to explore for short periods before needing to feel the comfort of his cage again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts