Dealing with STUPID visitors!

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Saturday was a busy day. We set up for a fund raiser in the morning, then ran 45 miles to a club meeting and back to help finish out the fundraiser.

When I got back I founf out the an in-law had been visiting the house and decided to "free Wiley". As he walked past Skittles cage, he opened the cage door.

Already upset about having strangers in the houseSkittles freaked out. My wife tried to coax him back to the cage with his favorite treat (Cheese curls) only to get bit. Skittles barricaded himself in our pantry. My wife had to get the dogs out of the house and leave Skitltles for later.

Just before I got back home, my aughter told her husband that he had to put Skittles back in the cage. When he tried to get him Skittles flew at his face and on to the floor, He was finally covered with a shirt, picked up and deposited back in his cage.

What a day for Skittles! When I finally got home and tried to check on him, he tried to bite me. By morning he was back to normal.

At what point in time should an adult, visiting someone elses home, feel it is OK to open a cage door and let the occupant out? (Sorry, strictly rhetorical question.) When confronted about his liberties with my bird, he seemed almost offended.

Is it OK to beat him? (just kidding)

PLEASE, emphasise to your family and friends that cages are there to protect pets as well as others in the home. DO NOT attempt to open cages or free birds, just because it seems OK.

Forbey

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I get those now and then. I just tell them my birds have "bird-flu" and it's very contagious, and of course they avoid them like the plague.

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
Is it OK to beat him? (just kidding)

Don't know about beating him, but I believe a choking is in order.
untitled_zps639ad013.png

OP
forbey

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Actually, I didn't need to beat him ... or choke him.

My daughter browbeat him for hours. "What would you do if letting him out of the cage resulted in Skittles getting hurt or kiled." "What would you do if one of the kids got bit/", " We could be sitting in comfortable chairs in the house, instead, we get to sit outside with the bugs ... BECAUSE YOU WERE STUPID!", Did you see the mess Skittles made in the pantry ... he's been in the pantry for hours, crapping on everything. YOU have to clean it up!" ...

Luckily Skittles is fine and my S-I-L spent a considerable amount of time in the dog house!

Depending on your position in the pecking order, her mother trained her well ...

Forbey

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yikes, what a day!!!

I personally LOVE the "choking option". :D

Everybody who comes to my house knows better than to never even as much as to attempt to go near my birds. I'm known to turn quite into a "b" on wheels if someone does. :54:

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Oh my gosh I would be so pissed!!!! :mad: Good for your daughter! I hate when people just assume what is ok when it comes to our birds. I'm so glad skittles is ok and nothing happened to him.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Depending on your position in the pecking order, her mother trained her well ...

Forbey, so that we have the proper perspective on this, in case some others of us ever have to face similar situations, are you relating this from the Co-Pilot's seat or Chief Engineer's seat ? ? ?

OP
forbey

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media

Forbey, so that we have the proper perspective on this, in case some others of us ever have to face similar situations, are you relating this from the Co-Pilot's seat or Chief Engineer's seat ? ? ?

I'm not positive! :confused:

I can tell you. if it was something that was supposed to get done, but didn't ... It's my fault!
If it was something that wasn't supposed to get done, but was ... It's my fault!
If the hardware store tinted the paint the wrong color ... It's my fault!
If the price of gas went up ... It's my fault!
Or, at least is seems that way, LOL!

In the words of Bill Cosby (Bill Cosby "Himself" album) "I'm not the boss, I've seen the bosses job, and I don't want it."

In my house, I never know what I'm doing next. I just sit around and wait until someone tells me.

EXCEPT! Skittles is MY responsibility, my buddy, my pride and joy! :)

My wife has been known to change his water and food. She even tolerates him acting like he wants to bite her as she walks by. But when it comes to training, treats, cleaning the cage, deciding when to let him out or put him "in the house", it is on me.

I was just flabbergasted that a 30 plus year old man wouldn't be sharp enough to know you don't just open the front door and let someone's dog out of the house and you don't open cages of animals (birds, snakes, lizards, mice, ferrets, you-name-it) and just let them out.

But that is just me!

:green: Skittles RULES! :D

Last edited:

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I can certainly sympathize with you, as my In Laws are nightmares like that also. They dont listen when I say not to pick up the bird cause she doesnt know them and may bite. Then they get bit and are mad, so I simply tell them to go back to their house. They show up unannounced and expect me to drop everything to entertain them. I'm a busy Mom, I dont always have time for a visit in the middle of a day.

This is my birds, cats, dog , turtle, and sugar gliders home as much as it is the humans home. They have a right to not be annoyed or to be made to feel uncomfortable in their own space. I just kick people out and don't care if they get mad, if they can't be respectful of the pets !

OP
forbey

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
I can certainly sympathize with you, as my In Laws are nightmares like that also. They dont listen when I say not to pick up the bird cause she doesnt know them and may bite. Then they get bit and are mad, so I simply tell them to go back to their house. They show up unannounced and expect me to drop everything to entertain them. I'm a busy Mom, I dont always have time for a visit in the middle of a day.

This is my birds, cats, dog , turtle, and sugar gliders home as much as it is the humans home. They have a right to not be annoyed or to be made to feel uncomfortable in their own space. I just kick people out and don't care if they get mad, if they can't be respectful of the pets !

I like that, someone on Facebook posted something like "If you don't like my dogs, don't visit their house!

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
You are MUCH kinder than I would have been...I would not have waited for my daughter to tear a strip off him, I would have lit into him myself and it would have been BAD. Anyone who takes liberties with someone elses pet deserves to be smacked upside the head, HARD.

Most Reactions

Latest posts