decisions decisions!

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
thank you, when rowdy nips, how do you handle it?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
She really doesn't anymore, but when I first got her she would bite for the fun or it or to try to take control. I had to clip her wings, and then when she would bite, I'd tell her, "Don't!" and stick her on her play gym, and ignore her for a few minutes. She finally got to know she could only be with me if she was nice.

Now, when I know she is overly excited or angry I just don't try to pick her up, and then I won't get bitten.

She is also cage territorial, so I open her door and let her come down to the open doorway before I offer my finger. And I try not to scrub out the inside of her cage if she is in it. So I let her out, and even then she sometimes comes to screech at me for messing with her cage, lol! But, mostly she lets me do it, just screams at me about it.

She does try to pick off my freckles, but she doesn't actually hurt me, so I don't mind.

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
thank you, lol rowdy sounds like a real character! oh and its nice to see a pic of miss merlin, shes so pretty :). im hopping to get my bird over Easter break, i would love a crimson bellied but they're too expensive and i cant find any. i think a gcc would be perfect. im a pretty quiet, generally shy person so having a fun bird with a little kick to him would be good for me!

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
im just so excited now, i guess i never thought i would make it this far, i used to think i would never get a bird, then came the finches, and now this :). now the hardest part, names, i was thinking twitter, chico, green bean, or maybe ruffles, any ideas?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, Doris48 has a GCC named Twitter that she also calls Green Bean, lol! So maybe something other than those so we don't have more than one like all the Merlins here:D

I think Ruffles is really cute! Conures are pretty poofy with their feathers.

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
lol they have the cutest faces dont they! i was reading up and found out that they are beaky, but not necessarily aggressive when they are weaning, and then with hormones its not as bad as i thought, so im a little less worried now, phew! however i heard that pinaple green cheeks are more gentle and quiet, but im not so sure, i didnt think color made a personality difference, (and one little pineapple was determined to bite my finger) any opinions?

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
roxy, i just wanted to thank you for all your help on this thread, you have really helped me so much with my decision and questions, thank you :D!

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
I personally would vote for a budgie, or what about a cockatiel. You are still so young and have college and life ahead of you. A green cheek is going to need you more than a budgie will. So what will happen while you are at school, or after you get married and have babies? I knew I wanted a sun conure when I was 19 but was busy with school so knew it was not fair so I had cockatiels. Than when I hit 20 I was married and by 21 had my daughter and by 23 had my son. No way would I have been able to give JJ the time she deserved with 2 little ones. I'm 28 now, done with school and now both my children are in school all day. So me and JJ have plenty of time during the day.

If a green cheek is really what you want fine but really consider where you see yourself in 5-10 years.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I personally would vote for a budgie, or what about a cockatiel. You are still so young and have college and life ahead of you. A green cheek is going to need you more than a budgie will. So what will happen while you are at school, or after you get married and have babies? I knew I wanted a sun conure when I was 19 but was busy with school so knew it was not fair so I had cockatiels. Than when I hit 20 I was married and by 21 had my daughter and by 23 had my son. No way would I have been able to give JJ the time she deserved with 2 little ones. I'm 28 now, done with school and now both my children are in school all day. So me and JJ have plenty of time during the day.

If a green cheek is really what you want fine but really consider where you see yourself in 5-10 years.

This is all true. My last budgie had to stay with my parents while I was away at college for 4 years. He definitely didn't get a lot of attention during those years as it seemed my parents and sister had just lost interest in birds or something.

Then after college I was moving all over the state every year chasing jobs, for the next 3 years.

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
Thank you for your input, I have considered where I will be in the next 25 yrs, I know will be 40 by the time the bird passes. I promise I won't get this bird until I am completely sure it will have the best life now and in 25 years, thank you for your concern :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts