decisions decisions!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
They are cuddly. But, they are so tiny it's kind of easier to take one finger and pet them with it like you would pet a cat.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
My dads been there before :). Are budgies cuddly, will they accept head scritches?

One finger headscritches, yeah :) Because they're small you can't exactly ruffle them up like bigger birds. But yes cuddly!

Will see if I can dig out some pictures of Wonsy, she was super cuddly. She used to hide under my hair by my neck to cuddle, or go into my pockets and sleep. She'd also try and shove herself between the gap of my hand and the mouse whilst I was on the computer, or chase my fingers across the keyboard.

She was wonderful, will dig them out and post them later :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Oop, had them on my facebook, picture bomb incoming.

28694_10150178955650508_860450507_12710906_7269813_n.jpg

First day with Wonsy.

32494_10150172959355508_860450507_12565436_5781377_n.jpg

Bruce and Wonsy on Andrews shoulder.

32494_10150172959370508_860450507_12565438_3497187_n.jpg

Techno, my very first, snuggling.

32494_10150172961875508_860450507_12565505_3563292_n.jpg

Arthur, giving kisses!

32494_10150172959385508_860450507_12565440_1430469_n.jpg

Wonsy used to come and sit with us in bed in the morning, very much like "HEY PLAYTIME!"

32494_10150172959390508_860450507_12565441_4556244_n.jpg

More morning wake ups, I always think she looks like a big chicken here.

32494_10150172959330508_860450507_12565432_6493125_n.jpg

Chillin' out whereever he could :)

32494_10150172959350508_860450507_12565435_6239177_n.jpg

"Share your beer daddy!"
I'm sure I've got more of her and the others being cuddly, but there you go, some cuddle pics. They're very affectionate. :)

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Lovely pics, Mayden! You also like the same beer as me:) Although I can't have it anymore due to my pancreas.

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
Watch this video, its my all time favorite for Budgie cuteness

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGQif0-ARxY"]Red Bull gives you wiiiiingssss! - YouTube[/ame]

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Lovely pics, Mayden! You also like the same beer as me:) Although I can't have it anymore due to my pancreas.

It's Andys beer, I don't (read:can't) drink alcohol without getting super sick with my me/cfs. So I just don't bother. :p

I think Beck's smells like weed tho. bleurgh :p

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
It sounds like you may have our mind made up already, but I was going to advise...Male Budgie.

Budgies are incredibly smart, super entertaining, acrobatic, and cuddly little characters. Most males will learn to talk some or alot as well, (a budgie holds the world record for most words spoken) Talking is a huge bonus for me. (I have 2 cockatiels and a conure who all say some words and Chicken Little is really developing a good vocabulary, it's totally exciting when you hear your bird talk to you and when they learn new words, the excitement of it never get's old, at least...not for me.)

Even if they don't learn to talk, Budgies have a nice chirp/song that isn't overly loud and annoying. Budgies are also known to be eager "trick" learners.

I think, ultimately your decision should be based on what type of relationship you want with your bird.

I've not had personal experience with finches, but I gather that they can "take or leave" the human interaction part.

A budgie will crave your interaction, learn to mimic both voice and dance, (especially males) happy to learn tricks, like to show off and overall are a LOT of fun!

My vote is DEFINITELY a budgie. :D

Good Luck and can't wait to see what you choose!

Toni

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
AAAAHHHH! thank you so much for all the posts, and mayden, the pics are ADORABLE which makes this even harder to say! i visited the pet store and he recommended a GCC, my moms on board with it. im in such a predicament now! Doris, that video is awesome, the budgie seems perfect straight out of the box, and my local petstore has two giant English ones (which i wanted) but they also have the GCC. the conure has so much potential to be everything i want in a bird, but i have heard they can be really nippy, AHHHH what do i do!!!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
What it will come down to is this:

1. do you want to also deal with the nippiness and bossiness of the conure?

2. will the hormonal behavior bother you? Budgies have hormones, too, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad.

3. if the conure is like Rowdy expect it to shoot poop out between the bars, lol! You will need to scrub the bars down everyday and put something under and around the cage to protect your furniture and other stuff. I suppose they don't all do this, but my Blue Crown did it, too. In fact I think she started it and Rowdy said, huh, that looks like fun.

I found Rowdy to be considerably more challenging than any of my budgies. Although I admit my Blue Crown was just 100% sweet all the time. In fact you might want to consider a Blue Crown. They are just a lot different from the other conures. They aren't as pretty, but they talk well and, they are just sweeter.

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
i would love a blue crown but whille noise doesnt bother me (as wierd as it is i actually enjoy full blown macaw screams, im just weird like that lol) but my parents wouldnt like the noise level of a BCC, but i would LOVE one, they're one of the birds on my list for when i grow up :). as far as bossyness goes, im willing to take my chances, and spend time working with him/her every day, and for the poo, my finches have plexiglass panels on the side of the cage hung from the bars, so i could do the same thing for him. if im willing to put up with this, do you think its worth it?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Sure, if you want the conure more, you should get the conure:) It will teach you all about parrot behavior and prepare later on for any other parrots you might want to get.

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
I vote for a GCC. Or you could always get a linnie. LOL, I am going to convert everyone to linnies one day!!! :p

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
I vote conure too! or linnie's! like evesta said! i barely found out they even exsist a couple days ago! i think there jus as beautiful as a budgie and have less behavioral problems! from what i read haha good luck! i wish i could get me a bigger bird but im in college a budgie is fine for now:)

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
Oh I would love a linnie, I just can't find one anywhere nearby and that GCC was just so cute!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
It is almost tempting to get a Linnie as I have a very nice cage that came with Pete that is just too small for any of my birds. But, I don't need another bird, lol! And it might be too small to be around my current birds without my worrying about it getting hurt by one. Oh, and my cat would probably terrorize it to death.

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
What it will come down to is this:

3. if the conure is like Rowdy expect it to shoot poop out between the bars, lol!

Wheest! Tico doesn't do that but I suppose it it something an individual bird could. With him my problem is positioning his playtop in the right area so he doesn't poop all down his bars when he's out. (or maybe I should get or make him one that covers the whole top and ends that problem)

GCC's are nice and like Roxy and alot of people have said they are like having a big parrot in a little body. They can be sweet, they can be clowns but they do have moods too. I don't think they are real big talkers but I could be wrong. Tico mutters stuff that I think sound like words but I've not sat and really tried to get him to talk, that wasn't a big deal for me when I got him.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, I just finished cleaning cages between 10-11 this morning. Merlin's took about 5 minutes. Pete's took 5-10 and the rest of that was scrubbing Rowdy's bars and grate and tray, lol! And I scrub those bars off every day.

One day though I left the garbage bag on the floor next to her cage and didn't realize. When I did see it, I saw she had been shooting poop out onto it, like she was trying to help me out:D Unfortunately it didn't go in the bag, but rather all over the outside of it.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Green Cheeks are definately big birds in little bodies! River is such a sweetie, loves to cuddle and play. His squeaky little voice is just too adorable!

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
thank you guys all so much! i think i want the gcc but im just not sure because, while i heard they can be sweet, my friend has two that her mom hand raised and they are very bitey, and pretty much only her dad can handle them. also i hear so many owners say that while they love them to death they say that they can be really nasty. im ok with a little sass or attitude, it gives them personality, but are they really this nippy, or does it just depend how you raise them. i plan to socialize him with everyone, take him with me places, i will be firm but gentle, ladder him if he bites, expose him to a variety of foods and objects and clicker train him from an early age. if i do all this will he turn out ok? i dont mean to bash the breed or anything, i think they are wonderful birds, i just want to be sure im making the right choice.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think conures on the whole can be nippy. The important thing is to not try to handle them if they are all wound up or angry about something. They do change moods quickly though so give them a few minutes to calm down and that will go a long way toward minimizing nips.

Most Reactions

Latest posts