Denizens of the Shadow Realm

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
The other day after a long training session, (flight with Jolly, harness training, turning on command and swinging upside down from my fingers for he and Maya both) I took them upstairs so that I could weigh them. (For some unfathomable reason, I still have their weight scale upstairs.)

On a side note, Jolly has gone through a growth spurt and now weighs around 385 in the mornings! He was around 340 when I first got him. The increased weight has not affected his flying in the least, as his wings have only continued to grow stronger.

Anyhow, back to the point of this thread! After weighing them, as I began walking down the steps, both Jolly and Maya started getting a bit antsy. I stopped and looked, but there was nothing I could see that might be freaking them out. So I spoke soothingly to them and both relaxed a little.

So I resumed my walk down the steps... at which point Jolly and Maya let out piercing (and seemingly telepathically coordinated) screams and shot from my hands in furious streaks of red and green! Once they'd cleared the stairwell, their paths diverged (again in freakish unison) and landed atop couches on opposite sides of the living room.

Huh?!?

Now, those of you who have read my threads know that, while Jolly flies about as readily as he breathes, Maya rarely does so... despite my continued attempts to encourage her. So I knew something must have seriously spooked her. But what?

The curtains were drawn, TV was off, the kids were in their rooms, and my wife was in the family room getting her Jillian Michaels workout on. So I was perplexed. I recalled that they seemed particularly focused on the wall to my right, so I started looking around for an insect or something. (Though an ekkie would be more likely to eat an insect than run from it!)

And that's when it hit me!

The light was shining from the left, and was throwing my shadow across the wall to the right in rather stark and menacing chiaroscuro! Hahaha!

Now, we've made that trip any number of times before and a few times since, so I don't know why my nutty ekkies chose just then to become terrified of their shadowy counterparts. But it was the weirdest thing. They wanted no parts of the stairwell for the rest of that night, but by the next all fences had apparently been mended with the denizens of the shadow-realm. They haven't even batted an eye at their shadows in the nights, since.

Weird.

Anyone else ever experience this?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
ROFLMAO! The Boogy Monster was out to get them....or better yet, BLACK, scary looking Ekkis, lacking any and all pigmentation, yet moving exactly like Jolly and Maya, HAHAHAHAHA! Oh this was hilarious!!!

None of mine care about the shadowy creatures on walls, but Niko absolutely DESPISES his own reflection in any and all mirrors. :32:

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Mirror monsters, eh? Hahaha!

Does Niko just fuss, or does he actually try to strike?

The only funny mirror-related thing over here is with Jolly. Funny enough, both Jolly and Maya seem to understand the concept of their own mirror images. Bixby did too, in fact. But the other day my wife was holding Jolly in our bedroom at the exact moment that I walked into the room. But Jolly was facing the mirror.

Well, in his excitement to fly to me, poor Jolly launched himself at my image in the mirror! Thankfully he pulled up at the last second, obviously as it registered that he and his mirror image were on a collision course! Hahaha!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
HAHAHAHAHA again @ Jolly wanting to land on your mirror image!!! :D

Niko's eyes will literally turn snow white when I pass a mirror. You can barely make out the pupils, that's how much he pins them. :eek: Wings go up and out, he clutches on to my arm for dear life. I swear, in moments like that I feel like I'm carrying a raptor - not a parrot. Additionally he will sway back and forth, and the sounds exiting his throat seem unearthly. :54:

But no, thankfully he's never launched at himself, LOL.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Poor Jolly, Maya, and Niko! It is October, mirrors, shadowy things, zombie appolypse, enough to scare a birdie right out of it's feathers.

I understand Maya and Jolly's fear of unauthorized shadows, that's just scary but Niko is too beautiful to be afraid of his own reflection!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The awareness level of our magnificent creatures of prey is astounding. We may perceive them as frequently calm and resolute, but they must be processing endless images through their amazingly keen eyes! And, of course, reacting dramatically to that which seems threatening!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Stephen, cracking up at the Denizens of the Shadow Realm! That is so funny how that all of a sudden freaked them out like that. Now you know what it takes to get Miss Maya to fly.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Oh my, I can't stop giggling! I know exactly what you mean though, where all of a sudden your birds are on edge and you can't figure out why, and them boom! A flurry of feathers and a lovely orchestra of parrot screaming. As for Jolly almost flying into the mirror to see you... [emoji23]! At least he was keen enough to not fly face first onto your mirrored shoulder!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
...Niko's eyes will literally turn snow white when I pass a mirror. You can barely make out the pupils, that's how much he pins them. :eek: Wings go up and out, he clutches on to my arm for dear life. I swear, in moments like that I feel like I'm carrying a raptor - not a parrot. Additionally he will sway back and forth, and the sounds exiting his throat seem unearthly. :54:...

How scary is that image? Hahaha! Raptor, indeed! Funny, but I've never owned a parrot with white sclera. Just varying shades of brown. So the pinning is nowhere near as dramatic. Eyes gone snow white? Get that boy an exorcism! Lol!

Poor Jolly, Maya, and Niko! It is October, mirrors, shadowy things, zombie appolypse, enough to scare a birdie right out of it's feathers.

Hahaha! I hadn't even considered the October/Halloween aspect! There it is! We only have to worry about walking dead. But flying dead must make for a far more frightening zombie apocalypse!

Allee said:
I understand Maya and Jolly's fear of unauthorized shadows, that's just scary but Niko is too beautiful to be afraid of his own reflection!

Ah, but you misapprehend, my friend. Niko isn't afraid. He's scaring off a rival just as beautiful as he is!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
The awareness level of our magnificent creatures of prey is astounding...

Isn't it, though? It never ceases to amaze me the tiniest of details that they will pick up from a distance! As flighted animals, keen eyesight would of course seem prerequisite, but it still manages to wow me anew every once in a while.

Stephen, cracking up at the Denizens of the Shadow Realm! That is so funny how that all of a sudden freaked them out like that. Now you know what it takes to get Miss Maya to fly.

Sigh. Alas, my friend, I do know now what it takes to get Maya to fly. I just hope that's not the only means. I must say, though, seeing both of them flying side by side like that was just beautiful! (Once you put aside the mind-numbing terror that inspired it! Hahaha!)

Oh my, I can't stop giggling! I know exactly what you mean though, where all of a sudden your birds are on edge and you can't figure out why, and them boom! A flurry of feathers and a lovely orchestra of parrot screaming.

Perfectly described, Chantal! One moment it's all quiet and tense, like the calm before the storm. And then chaos and pandemonium! Lol!

Dinosrawr said:
As for Jolly almost flying into the mirror to see you... [emoji23]! At least he was keen enough to not fly face first onto your mirrored shoulder!

Hahahahahaha! Yeah, and you just KNOW I'd have gotten the blame for that face-plant! When he slips up, he has this look that he likes to give me that clearly says, "Dude! What's your problem?!?"

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
Very cool that they flew together! Jack always gets antsy walking down the stairs from a shower. If I don't have him hugged to me, he'll fly (crash land) at the bottom of the steps. I thought it was from feeling like he's falling with the downward motion.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine have occasionally gotten night frights from things, though it's not very frequent. Occasionally, a cat or a possum with unexpectedly appear on a fence, or something...

But it does happen.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Very cool that they flew together! Jack always gets antsy walking down the stairs from a shower. If I don't have him hugged to me, he'll fly (crash land) at the bottom of the steps. I thought it was from feeling like he's falling with the downward motion.

Very cool indeed, Liz! I only wish I could see them flying together more often.

That sounds like it could be another case of shadow fright as easily as an issue with the downward motion. I wonder which?

Btw, I forget, is Jack fully flighted?

Mine have occasionally gotten night frights from things, though it's not very frequent. Occasionally, a cat or a possum with unexpectedly appear on a fence, or something...

But it does happen.

Oh, that happens occasionally with Maya and Jolly as well. It was the absence of any impetus other than their shadows that bugged me out. You know, considering that I take them up and down those steps almost every day. So why that particular day? Why were the shadows especially menacing that evening? Just weird.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've always suspected shadows are a main cause of night frights. Particularly when it's a windy night, and the shadows are moving, when they normally don't.

PARANOID BIRD THOUGHTS: Something's different... wait... it moved. Oh, crap. There's something in here with me. I don't hear any noise... IT MUST BE STALKING ME! OMG! It's getting closer, I just know it! AND I CAN'T SEE $%&# IN THE DARK! I CAN'T JUST SIT HERE! I'M GONNA DIE!

SCREAM! CRASH! BOOM! THUD!

And when one freaks, the rest freak because THAT ONE freaked...

Most Reactions

Latest posts