Desperate and need advice

mslade81

May 16, 2012
Hi all. My story has some drama to it but I'll try to keep it brief. My wife and I have been married for about four years. She's bipolar with schizo-affective subtype. She's gotten steadily worse during the years and we've reached the point where she can't take care of herself and we are divorcing so she can find a more suitable living situation.

We adopted two birds, around the same time that we got married. A green-cheeked conure (Bubba) and a brown-headed parrot (Jimmy). Both are rescues. Jimmy is poorly socialized. I'm the only one who can pet him and even so, he frequently lashes out unexpectedly and runs me away. Bubba is pretty easy to handle; he doesn't like having his wings manipulated and I can't trim his nails, but he prefers to spend all of his time on my shoulder or cuddled against my arm when I work on the computer.

There are a lot of unknowns in my near future (my wife is in the hospital and presently psychotic) but my mid-term goal is to move back home to to NY (we live in FL). I doubt my wife will ever be in a position to take care of the birds on her own, so they will be coming with me.

This is my dilemma and I appreciate any feedback the community has to offer. My birds are literally the only thing left in my life that bring me joy. I would do anything to give them a healthy life, even if it means giving them up. I just don't know if that's the right choice or not. Once upon a time they spent most of their days out of their cages and interacted with (by my wife). If I have to care for them alone, they're lifestyle will become spending 4-5 hours a day out of their cage during weekdays and more on the weekends. That's a best case scenario, but as I start rebuilding my life I expect to spend more time out of the house trying to stay active, which means cutting into their time. They don't like each other so the company they provide each other doesn't amount to much.

If I give them up, I'm afraid that they won't be loved and treated as they deserve. Jimmy is very shy and defensive and anybody who adopted him would need to have utmost patience. I think Bubba would be more adaptive, but I'm not sure. He came from a breeder, then was in a pet store for about a year, then a home for another year before I adopted him. Most of his life has been spend with us and he's bonded with me. I don't know if putting him through another hand-off would be better for him than restricting his out-of-cage time to a few hours a day.

It's difficult for me to keep perspective because I do want to have them in my life, more than anything. But if (hypothetically) I had some magical guarantee that their next owner would take better care of them than I can, I would give them up.

Please help.

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I am sorry to hear about the troubles in your life.

I think you should keep them. The move will probably stress them out a little, but so would moving to live with someone they don't know. I work 8 hours a day and my birds are out of their cage 2-4 hours during the week, a little more during the weekend.

You enjoy these animals, they're your family, I would do what I could to keep them with you. That's the only real way to insure they're properly taken care of and have a happy, healthy home for their rest of their life.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
A lot of bird owners work outside of the home & have to limit out of cage time. Provide plenty of toys, etc. & focus on quality time rather than quantity. I think you should keep the birds.

I have mood disorders also, although not as severe as your wife. With treatment is there any way to salvage the relationship? I too have been hospitalized but am stable on medications & therapy.

Either way, I think you should keep your birds. The only way you will know they are loved is if they are with you. Good luck to both you & your wife. Mental illness is extremely difficult to deal with for everyone involved. Your wife didn't ask to be born this way & I'm sure this situation is heartbreaking for her also. God Bless.

Figment

May 2, 2012
Chokoloskee, Florida
Parrots
Tico & Taco - Fishers Lovebirds
I am really sorry to hear about your wife. That situation is never easy and it sounds like she is on her way to getting the help she needs.

I, too, suffer from Bipolar disorder, but not as extreme as your wife it seems. I have been hospitalized years ago and honestly it probably saved my marriage/life. Medications and education about the disorder do wonders.

If it were me, I believe I would try to keep my birds. See how they adapt to the changes in their 'out of cage time'. They will be the first ones to tell you if it is working or not. If it doesn't work, then you can honestly say you tried everything and find them a different home, if it suits them.

I wish you the very best.......

Last edited:
OP
M

mslade81

May 16, 2012
Thanks guys. Your responses have been very uplifting. For those who asked, our marriage is definitely over. For years I thought I was martyring myself to make her happy but we both have come to terms with the fact that the toll it's taken on me has left me bitter and useless to her. It won't be a bitter separation, I'll always have her best interests at heart, but she's just not in a position where she can carry on a healthy relationship and also take care of her own needs.

I'm hoping that once I move on and start taking care of myself, I will be able to provide for the birds better as well.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
As its been mentioned above already. They would be happier with you since you've been their main care giver. Birds learn to adapt in new situations when things change and as long as your providing adequate care they will be fine. Leave music or tv on for them when you leave the house. Talk to them before work, same when you come home. My birds adapted to my crazy work schedule just fine especially this past year when I had to work a lot because of my boss' family crisis and I had to work 7 days often and working 12hr shift. But my birds did just fine! But I do stay up late with them.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'm sorry for your situation.

My roommate married a poor guy, before he realized she was mentally ill. I guess she was very sweet for those 3 months they knew each other before they married. After she had his kid, she decided that she hated him. She's very bipolar, probably borderline, and maybe something else. She's unable to function normally (relationships, work, take care of her child, etc), and she's living with us because my mom feels sorry for her. She drives us nuts sometimes. She started medication a few months ago, and it's calmed her down quite a bit, but she still has a long way to go. The husband is taking care of the son, and I think they're doing a lot better now that they're separated. Poor guy didn't know she was crazy when he married her.

Aaaanyway, I think you should keep your birdies, and see how they manage. They might be just fine keeping each other company. You can also leave the radio/TV on when you're not home, and make an effort to rotate their toys more often.

Good luck to all of you.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
My thinking is that it would be in the best interest of both the birds and you to keep them with you.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
My thinking is that it would be in the best interest of both the birds and you to keep them with you.

I agree. Once you find out how your life will actually turn out your decisions are going to be based upon speculations.

On another note, the birds will be a source of focus and routine for you. A reason to get out of bed some days because they will need fresh food and clean cages.

Caseyflightfree

Jun 4, 2013
Nevada
Parrots
The parrots that own me are: 1 White-Bellied Caique, 1 Green-Cheek Conure, 1 Pacific Parrotlet, 2 Budgerigars, (1 albino & 1 normal).
please keep you're 2 birds-they know you & it will be more traumatizing for them to be with another flock. I agree with 'Tammy'-[2nd response to advice sought].

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
I also agree with everyone, my gcc get's out of his cage for about 4 hours a day and he is just fine. Of course my days off are different he is out all day. But he is just fine and your birds will be too. I'm sure they would rather be in there cage a little more then loosing someone they have bonded to. Good luck please keep us posted and keep your chin up!!!!

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
you should keep them. the move will cause them stress for sure, but they will be fine. even with work provide plenty of toys so when your away they have something to do. 4-5 hours out, and more on weekends is plenty for them. especially if their cages are near each other and they can keep each other company.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I'll throw in with the lot above and encourage you to keep them, but I do think you should consider ways you can make their lives more rewarding since they will be caged more. Maybe you can devote a room to them that can be divided and made safe so they can enjoy a larger area. An interesting bird area instead of a cage for each of them might make you feel less guilty for leaving them as much.

I lived on a sailboat for a couple years with Rose and LaFitte and their first clutch hatched when we were traveling in an RV. Birds adapt.

They would rather be with you!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Definately keep your fids! The wonderful thing about birds is they adapt well to routines, they LIVE for routines, even if those routines change somewhat. Once the dust settles and the new routine is established, they'll most likely roll with it. Giving them up will only put you in a depression, and it could kill them in the long run. This forum is a wonderful supportive community and we're all here to help. Being bird people, we bicker like birds sometimes, but it's all healthy dialogue, and it's always in the best interest of the birds. :)

Most Reactions