Devastating wildfires in Canada

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Tuesday morning wildfires were responsible for an emergency evacuation that displaced thousands. The results are horrific. Fort McMurray residents are finding safety and shelter in Edmonton and surrounding cities. The epic response by emergency organizations, businesses and local residents is phenomenal.

Sincere gratitude to the firefighters, medical and military personnel involved. A special thank you also to each and every citizen and hero who is offering everything possible to help those in need.

Our fellow moderator, Terry57 and her husband Reg are volunteering at a local bird rescue owned by their friends, they will be taking in displaced pets as long as it takes.

Hope, prayers and healing thoughts to all those affected by this tragic event.

Fort McMurray Wildfire: 80,000 Evacuated Over Out-of-Control Blaze - NBC News

https://sec.theglobeandmail.com/new...om-fort-mcmurray/article29850485/?service=amp

Canada wildfire: 1,600 Fort McMurray buildings damaged

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Yes heard about this on the news here and definitely second your sentiments Allee.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Wow.. that sounds horrific.

I was around for the 2003 wildfires in southern CA - even being away from the worst areas, I remember how bizarre it was to see a red sun and ash falling like rain, people wearing face masks. I can't imagine how terrifying something like this would be.

Good on you Terry57 and hubs for helping with the best of creatures.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
May God keep all safe ...terrible frightening things those wild fires. Well done to all the volunteers helping both humans and fur and feathered victims alike.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Prayers for all those facing the dangers and thanks for all those (including Terry57 and hubby) for what you are doing!

God's Blessings!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
It's pretty terrifying. Many of my friends and their families are from the area, and several northern BC locations are also on fire as well near where I grew up. I can't believe we're facing such extreme wildfires so early into summer... I'm sending hopes and prayers to those communities and so thankful for the volunteers nearby who are willing to offer support in any shape or form.

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
It's been a very weird year, weather wise. We have been under "Red Flag" for a month until the last couple days, earliest I have EVER seen it, and only a couple times at all before it.

Thought and prayers to our northern neighbors.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sending my thoughts and prayers to those anywhere near those fires... including our Terry and her husband as the fires have crept close enough that they may need to evacuate from their home as well.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Allee, thank you for posting this. My friend Janine and her husband are the heroes. All Reg and I did was help to set up some cages and drop off some donations.
We had almost arrived at their place in Sherwood Park when we found out that another wildfire had sprung up in Lac Ste Anne County, 27 KM from our house. Janine immediately said she would take all of our birds if the fire got close enough that we had to evacuate.
These are amazing people.
Luckily for us, they are saying that our fire danger should be over for tonight as they feel they have it contained.
Needless to say, we are ready, just in case, but am glad we can now return our attention to the people who have lost so much in Ft. McMurray.
I am including Meika's website, as they are still taking in birds and also have a donation station set up in their store collecting pet supplies for people who have evacuated with their animals. I'll add more links tomorrow for other rescues helping.
I want to be clear that Meika's is not asking for financial donations, they are simply one of the many places for supply donations for locals wanting to help. They are still accepting more birds as well.:)

I am so honoured to call Alberta home, these people that live here are absolutely amazing. People offering their homes as places to stay, all the people who have driven up there to bring much needed gas, water and food.
Please keep these people in your prayers, and also that the fire in Ft. McMurray is soon extinguished.
Meika's Birdhouse in Sherwood Park

Here is a great link for anyone affected by the fires who needs help with either finding their pet, or for somewhere to board them while they sort things out.
https://supportersofabrescues.com/2016/05/04/fort-mcmurray-fire-animal-aid/

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Fire is a horrific tragedy to all living things. Thanks to folks like Terry and Reg, the community pulls together for the noble goal of safety and preservation.

I hope these fires are doused as soon as possible. There is nothing IMHO more terrifying in nature than a wildfire.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's been a very weird year, weather wise. We have been under "Red Flag" for a month until the last couple days, earliest I have EVER seen it, and only a couple times at all before it.

Thought and prayers to our northern neighbors.

EL NINO YEAR... Changes the weather patterns all over the place. Shifts the jet stream. Changes storm activity. Change the temperature of the ocean a few degrees and all hell breaks loose... atmospheric conditions of the ocean, changes all the other atmospheric conditions.

More rain one place, means not enough rain elsewhere, which causes the grasses to dry up, and the fire season starts the minute the temperature warms up outside.

This has been one of the best West Coast surfing years anyone can remember... Everyone else is less of a fan.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Allee, thank you for posting this. My friend Janine and her husband are the heroes. All Reg and I did was help to set up some cages and drop off some donations.
We had almost arrived at their place in Sherwood Park when we found out that another wildfire had sprung up in Lac Ste Anne County, 27 KM from our house. Janine immediately said she would take all of our birds if the fire got close enough that we had to evacuate.
These are amazing people.
Luckily for us, they are saying that our fire danger should be over for tonight as they feel they have it contained.
Needless to say, we are ready, just in case, but am glad we can now return our attention to the people who have lost so much in Ft. McMurray.
I am including Meika's website, as they are still taking in birds and also have a donation station set up in their store collecting pet supplies for people who have evacuated with their animals. I'll add more links tomorrow for other rescues helping.
I want to be clear that Meika's is not asking for financial donations, they are simply one of the many places for supply donations for locals wanting to help. They are still accepting more birds as well.:)

I am so honoured to call Alberta home, these people that live here are absolutely amazing. People offering their homes as places to stay, all the people who have driven up there to bring much needed gas, water and food.
Please keep these people in your prayers, and also that the fire in Ft. McMurray is soon extinguished.
Meika's Birdhouse in Sherwood Park

Here is a great link for anyone affected by the fires who needs help with either finding their pet, or for somewhere to board them while they sort things out.
https://supportersofabrescues.com/2016/05/04/fort-mcmurray-fire-animal-aid/

Glad to hear they were able to save your house, and you made it out of there. And in the end, it's the people that make a community livable... OR NOT!

You can live in the fanciest neighborhood in the world, but if you (and your neighbors) don't give a crap about anything but yourself, and your stuff... it ceases to be a place I'd ever want to live!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Thinking of Terry and her husband at this catastrophic time and prayers to stay safe.

Ours news this morning states that people who have fled North could be cut off. Prayers for a change in the weather conditions there and soon.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The photographs and videos I've seen of this are truly frightening and other worldly...

HOPE EVERYONE GETS OUT SAFELY, AND I PRAY THE WIND STAYS DOWN OR SHIFTS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION...

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Glad to hear they were able to save your house, and you made it out of there. And in the end, it's the people that make a community livable... OR NOT!

You can live in the fanciest neighborhood in the world, but if you (and your neighbors) don't give a crap about anything but yourself, and your stuff... it ceases to be a place I'd ever want to live!

Mark, thank you so much for your concern, but we never had to evacuate. We are located 30 minutes west of Spruce Grove in Lac Ste Anne Co., and there was a separate fire another 27 km away from us that they were able to extinguish. We are more than 400 KM away from the fire that is devastating Fort Mac.

The scale of that fire boggles the mind, and breaks your heart for all the people who are displaced and have possibly lost everything. The fire area is larger than NYC, and still growing.
The outpouring of help, prayers and love for these people from all over the world is staggering.
The heroism is truly inspiring...from the girl who rode her horse out through the flames, to the people who have rescued trapped animals from homes.
The firefighters who are working around the clock, only taking a little time out to sleep on lawns.
The thousands of people who have opened their homes to the evacuated.
The multitude of rescues helping with the displaced animals.
The firefighter who lost his daughter in a wreck while she was trying to evacuate, and when several of his fellow firefighters were faced with the choice of saving their own homes, or saving his..they saved his so that the family would have all their memories of her.

Sure puts things into perspective.
Please send your continued prayers to them.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive

Mark, thank you so much for your concern, but we never had to evacuate. We are located 30 minutes west of Spruce Grove in Lac Ste Anne Co., and there was a separate fire another 27 km away from us that they were able to extinguish. We are more than 400 KM away from the fire that is devastating Fort Mac.

The scale of that fire boggles the mind, and breaks your heart for all the people who are displaced and have possibly lost everything. The fire area is larger than NYC, and still growing.
The outpouring of help, prayers and love for these people from all over the world is staggering.
The heroism is truly inspiring...from the girl who rode her horse out through the flames, to the people who have rescued trapped animals from homes.
The firefighters who are working around the clock, only taking a little time out to sleep on lawns.
The thousands of people who have opened their homes to the evacuated.
The multitude of rescues helping with the displaced animals.
The firefighter who lost his daughter in a wreck while she was trying to evacuate, and when several of his fellow firefighters were faced with the choice of saving their own homes, or saving his..they saved his so that the family would have all their memories of her.

Sure puts things into perspective.
Please send your continued prayers to them.
I was in tears reading this...so precious what those firemen did...and indeed what so many are doing to help humans and crestures alike. I pray God keeps everyone safe and that there are no more deaths. Stay safe folks ...stay safe

Vapor

Mar 31, 2016
Edmonton, AB Canada
Parrots
African Grey Headed Cape | Name: Raíssa (Hah-ee-sah) | Sex: F
ChxaaJIWUAAVHiA.jpg

Most Reactions