Did anyone have a parrot in college?

futurebirdmama

Aug 20, 2016
Hi there,
I'm a college student, and I have been hoping to get a pet bird for a long time. I've been waiting until I can be sure that my living and financial situations are appropriate for owning a bird, as I know that having a bird is a very big commitment.
I'm wondering if anyone else has personal experience with owning a bird in college, whether positive or negative. What kind of bird was it? Do you still have it? Do you regret adopting it? What issues did you face? Not looking for judgement, just personal experiences.

As for me, at this point I am still waiting on getting a bird, but in the next few years I do plan on adding a small bird, probably a cockatiel, to my family. :white1:

Thanks in advance!:grey:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I got a bird my freshman year, when I lived in the dorm. There were lots of dorm rules, and we routinely broke them all (hot plates, alcohol, coed guests...) so I figured no big deal. Except someone else on the floor was afraid of birds and ratted me out. I wound up with zero time to find a home for him or be evicted, and a friend's parents wanted a parakeet, so off he went. At the time, I didn't think twice about it. I never imagined that there would be stress on a bird to change homes, he was just a little white thing that flew around and rode on the earpiece of my glasses. I didn't have him long at all. But then I was raised by wolves, and it would take me many more years to develop a deeper level of compassion and understanding with humans, much less with animals. You sound as if you are way ahead of where I was back then.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I had a bird majority of my college time, when i lived in an apartment and not a dorm. Took him to tailgates, pool parties, study sessions, etc. People called him the party parrot.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
My story... some will apply to you, much may not. :)
I got the Rickeybird in 1984. I was in college and then grad school, so I spent LOTS of time with him. Then it was time to go to work!
There were were years (about 25 of them) when 5-6 days a week, I was gone at 7:30-ish and back at 6-ish.
Some did and will consider me wrong and think I should have re-homed him. My husband at that time detested the bird. My current ol' man tolerates him with good humor. No, the bird was not the reason for the divorce. Well, partly! :)
Anyway, here is what I think made it work.
I moved and got new jobs maybe 5 times or so. BUT...
Every morning, he had at least ten minutes, and every evening, he had 20 or so. I have always kept him on a natural light schedule, in a separate room, so sometimes those times together were in the dark. During the day, he had a big window looking out on something interesting, a television on one of his favorite channels (Music channels, CNN - he loves talking heads), a biggg cage, lots of fun foods, and a few toys that I changed out regularly).
He KNEW he could count on those two crummy sessions a day. Somehow we both made it.
I'm now retired and times are good again.
Good luck to you in making a decision. And welcome to the Forum... you'll get lots of empathy and advice here.

davefv92c

Banned
Banned
Nov 29, 2016
I have a rescue that came from the dorms at OSU due to the noise.
so if you are going into a dorm you may want to wait.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I brought my cockatiels and budgies to my apartment once I moved out of the dorms my junior year. I didn't know there were dorms that allowed pets at all, but I guess there are. The biggest problem with dorms and close apartments is going to be noise, depending on the type of bird you have. And then in dorms you'll also have the roomate factor as well.

I think this is going to be a case by case basis kind of question, as everyone has different situations and schedules. Time was always a bit of an issue in college, but it is after college too, lol. So I guess it's all about looking at your own "whole picture" and deciding if it will work for you, i.e. living situation, financial situation, time to spend with a bird, etc.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts