Diesel is home!!!!!!!

Diesel_Hyland

May 26, 2013
Media
Tuakau, New Zealand
Parrots
'Diesel' the Alexandrine
Diesel is HOME SAFE!!!!!!!!

We were out first thing this morning again pounding the pavement and looking for him, but thanks to some kind people who use a local website the 'Franklin Grapevine' website (Facebook) he has been found.

We thought the worst after the horrible weather in Auckland last night and we all didn't sleep much. My husband had been calling out his name this morning in a street two streets over from our house and the kind people noticed that when my hubby called out, the odd parrot they had just noticed that morning in their back yard trees was squawking back, so they yelled out to my husband.

After some tree climbing, patience, gentle familiar words and coaxing, he hopped onto a branch near me and eventually climbed up onto my shoulder.

He is hungry and tired and has been snuggling and snoozing with my hubby and preening non stop after his night out in the rain. But he is home :):eek: We will take him to the vet today for a check up, just in case.

Thanks also to 'Bertrisher' Trish and Terry, who were dead on the money, he was not far away and a bit scared, just sitting and waiting for us to come to him. Calling out familiar sounds really did the trick.

We have learnt valuable lessons as a result of this incident and realise how quickly it can go so terribly wrong. You think you know your bird, but ANYTHING can spook them, even things you do often every day with them as in this case. I have a newfound respect for parrots.

THANKS PARROT FORUM

DieselisHome_zps4b7de50d.jpg

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm so happy to hear this! I didn't even know until today that anything had happened, as I'd missed your thread, but I know how heartbreaking this must have been for you and your family!

I'm sure all will go well with the vet's appointment, but taking him for a check-up is a good idea. Give Diesel a scritch for me, and tell him not to go scaring his family like that again!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I am so glad you found Diesel. I saw this thread and had to backtrack. My family wishes you all the best to, I filled them in too sharing what happened. I hope he's well and all stays well.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
WOW!!! Welcome back Diesel! I am thrilled Diesel is home! A vet check is a good precaution after Diesel's night out, but I just know he will be fine. I'm sorry you went through this scary ordeal, but so happy it's over and your baby is back where he belongs. Hugs to you and your family and extra skritches for your brave boy.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am so glad Disel made it back safely! He looks like he will never leave your shoulder again after having to spend a night in the rain.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Welcome home Diesel. :)

So glad he was found and you were able to get him. I read your other post early this morning and felt instantly sick. So I can only imagine how you were feeling.

Bundii said to pass on happy squawks to Diesel. :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Whew!! I'm so glad Diesel is home and safe. Good the neighbors were out, and it happened this way.
I missed the original thread too, but great news now :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
YESSSS!!! Well done, Kim! Oh, I can't tell you how happy I am that Diesel is safe at home again. I kept imagining how I'd feel if my Beakies had to spend a night out in the big wide world, all scared and alone. What a brave and sensible boy he is - you can be very proud of him, since his bond with you is so strong.

Celebrations at Parrotforums today! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OP
Diesel_Hyland

Diesel_Hyland

May 26, 2013
Media
Tuakau, New Zealand
Parrots
'Diesel' the Alexandrine
Thanks ALL. We have had a celebration here as well. Diesel's vet visit went well, and the vet said he had lost no real conditioning.

He had a special dinner with roast pumpkin, silverbeet with a side of seed and cashews followed by peaches for dessert :09:. He gobbled it.

He is a little bit solemn and sleepy (so would I be if I'd been out in the rain in the dark NZ bush all night) and he's not his usual talky squawky self, but the vet said he just needs some rest and calmness for a few days. :)

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!:):):):)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
This is absolutely the best news ever!!!! I don't think I have ever been so happy to see a post:) I thought about Diesel all day yesterday. I cannot even imagine how happy he was to be back home with y'all:)
Great news that he checked out at the vet as well!
[URL=http://www.sherv.net/] [/URL]

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
So happy for you, he must have a guardian angel. After my Emmy's return I gave pedialite (dehydration for tots) and millet. She was good as new in 1 day. Blessings Bonita :rainbow1::green2:

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS!!!! Thank goodness! Yayyyy :D :D :D :D :D Wow that is the best ever! :D

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU! I know how absolutely gut wrenching it is to lose your baby. And you're definitely right - you think you know your bird, but all it takes is one misjudgment. I experienced the exact same scenario with Avery. She flew away and was incredibly close by and after hearing my calling she desperately squawked back to me.

I'm so glad Diesel is safe and sound in your arms again! SO GLAD! It's unfathomable how big of a void can be created in our hearts in the moments we think our babies are gone. Give my love and keep giving those extra treats to your boy!!!

OP
Diesel_Hyland

Diesel_Hyland

May 26, 2013
Media
Tuakau, New Zealand
Parrots
'Diesel' the Alexandrine
All your words are exactly right.
There is nothing that can explain how high your heart jumps into your throat and how desperate you feel.

THANK YOU ALL

DIESEL SAYS THANKS AS WELL.

Davidcsky

Apr 22, 2014
Malta
Parrots
Barney, Quaker Parakeet who joined us as a 4 week old baby on the 15th July 2013 & Mannie, Alexandrine Parakeet who joined us as a 4 week old baby on the 8th of April 2014
All your words are exactly right.
There is nothing that can explain how high your heart jumps into your throat and how desperate you feel.

THANK YOU ALL

DIESEL SAYS THANKS AS WELL.

GREAT NEWS, one of my biggest fears is that one of them manages to fly away from me :/ so so happy that ure reunited :))

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Another happy ending! Seems like the day for it...

Most Reactions

Latest posts