Diet/ Keratin ?

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
The vet said Friday that my rescues, Lola and Rico's beaks are laking keratin to form a healthy beak due to the poor diet they have had for years. They were on a cat food diet when I got them. I now have them on Roudybush and some high quality seed mix, as they refuse to touch any fresh veggie/ fruit that I offer. They are a bit under weight, with the male being 20g lighter than the female.
Is Roudybush good for them, or is there something else that would help bring their nutrition up to par faster ? I tried Harrisons with them and they refused to eat it. I also add some twin beaks herb salad to their pellets.
Is there aanything I can do to help them with the Keratin ?

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I don't know about the keratin but I use roudybush rice diet which is all natural and allergy free. My bird loves it and it has no weird smells nor does it attract ants

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
I don't know about the keratin but I use roudybush rice diet which is all natural and allergy free. My bird loves it and it has no weird smells nor does it attract ants

You seem to mention quite a bit that it doesnt attract ants, was this a big issue with the other food before this one? Just curious, I luckily have not had an ant issue, I think because I have two four legged hoovers that very quickly suck up any and every scrap that leaves the confines of Sunshines dish! :p

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
The vet said Friday that my rescues, Lola and Rico's beaks are laking keratin to form a healthy beak due to the poor diet they have had for years. They were on a cat food diet when I got them. I now have them on Roudybush and some high quality seed mix, as they refuse to touch any fresh veggie/ fruit that I offer. They are a bit under weight, with the male being 20g lighter than the female.
Is Roudybush good for them, or is there something else that would help bring their nutrition up to par faster ? I tried Harrisons with them and they refused to eat it. I also add some twin beaks herb salad to their pellets.
Is there aanything I can do to help them with the Keratin ?

Im sorry I have nothing useful to say, but wanted to give you a big fat kudos and thanks for taking these two lil angels and giving them a better life! Good luck with the issues, sounds like you are on the right track! :D

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Lol yes it's been an issue with all other foods I have encountered, along with moths. The pellets that arent natural and smell fruity and are coloured attract ants big time with my grandparents, and any seed mixture with dried fruits and veggies was swarmed with ants and moths ugh we had tonthrow out so much food due to ants so this new pellet she is on is a life saver lol

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
Lol yes it's been an issue with all other foods I have encountered, along with moths. The pellets that arent natural and smell fruity and are coloured attract ants big time with my grandparents, and any seed mixture with dried fruits and veggies was swarmed with ants and moths ugh we had tonthrow out so much food due to ants so this new pellet she is on is a life saver lol

Wow! Knock on wood Ive gotten lucky then! Glad you found a food that takes care of two major issues in one swoop!!

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Yay you're lucky you haven't had any yet ugh with all the food I was throwing out I might as well been buying the more expensive food rightml away.

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
I had the same problem with the previous pellets I fed. While on vacation camping, we had ants all in our camper from the pellets. I would have to take Ruby's cage outside in the mornings and sweep and stomp ants for an hour. The Amazons had moths living in the closed container of cat food that the previous owner sent home with them. I chunked that crap in the trash immediately ! Roudybush seems to attract no critters at all.
I just want to get these two beautiful birdies healthy so they can be happy. Poor male is still awaiting culture results on his upper respiratory illness. That combined with years of poor nutrition just breaks my heart. He gets to wheezing so badly that he cant eat at times. I have added 2 more food bowls around the cage so that he can dine without the effort of moving around much. I need to get him healthy so he will feel like venturing out of the cage for some excersize and socialization, as this pair has been cage bound for years.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
That's so terrible. Thank you for taking them in.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You're very welcome. Have you tried to see if they perhaps like hardboiled eggs? If not hardboiled, maybe scrambled? Most fids go "bananas" over eggs....just an idea.

And your recipe sounds GREAT!!! You are doing an exceptionally amazing job with/for your babies. :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
What about red palm oil?

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
Good news ! They ate some fresh food today ! Raw carrots and orange, and I know the male Rico ate orange because it was all over his beak. I'm making progress now that they will try fresh veggies and fruit. I will order and try some red palm oil, I have been investigating it for a few days lately.

Most Reactions

Latest posts