Differences between a umbrella cockatoo and a CAG?

natalie

Feb 8, 2010
Media
Albums
Upstate NY
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw & Cockatiel
Well said, Merlin.

It bounces back to individuality, sometimes the things you read are just not always accurate.
I'm so glad things turned out great for those two birds!

OP
M

Melissa2010B

Feb 17, 2010
Denver
Parrots
Cockatiel, Yellow Naped Amazon, Umbrella Cockatoo, Peach Faced Lovebird
Thanks Merlin.

Yes, that's the hardest part in all this. We're crazy about him. We've gotta make this work.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Hi there, I see your plight is one of desperation...I dont own a CAG or Too but own an African Brown headed parrot and he was so wild and uncontrollable when I got him - its taken hours and hours of work to get him to trust me and learn the rules of the roost - Antionette has a very good point - routine....try putting him on a strict routine. When your working do you put him on your shoulder or on a playgym? The reason I ask this is because it seems that most of the stress caused is in the office area. Having him with you on a playgym is fine because he can spend time with you without getting near your equipment. You can then place him on your shoulder when having a break. A parrot will tear things of your clothes because they think its a "parasite" on you and doesnt belong there. Try wearing a cheap t-shirt and towel over the shoulders. If you have to try wearing gloves to protect your hands do so. Any parrot can be a handful - it just depends what upbringing they have. I have also owned lovebirds and they are so happy go lucky. Your now dealing with an infant and the CAG would be the same - they can shout and scream if not trained. All species have got their funny points -my parrot is a quarter of your Toos size and can also draw blood. Block your mind off the fact that he is a Too and reopen your mind to breaking any habits that have crept in. It might take you a week or a month but I can tell you that after the first week you will be closer to your goal and even closer to bonding with your Too. :) :)

OP
M

Melissa2010B

Feb 17, 2010
Denver
Parrots
Hi there, I see your plight is one of desperation...I dont own a CAG or Too but own an African Brown headed parrot and he was so wild and uncontrollable when I got him - its taken hours and hours of work to get him to trust me and learn the rules of the roost - Antionette has a very good point - routine....try putting him on a strict routine.

I wonder if that's part of the problem. We work from home and the business is very random. But we are home most of the time.

When your working do you put him on your shoulder or on a playgym?

The shoulder RARELY works. He can rarely stay put, so I cant get any work done that way, he starts wandering all over, trying to start chewing everything in sight. In my office, I've contained that. He's only gotten a couple of nibbles on this chair, nothing else. In Jennifer's office, she's disabled and on some drugs, and sometimes falls asleep or pays too much attention to her computer. That's when he's torn the place up, like in those photos.

The reason I ask this is because it seems that most of the stress caused is in the office area. Having him with you on a playgym is fine because he can spend time with you without getting near your equipment.

We're thinking in terms of IN a playgym. We just bought a good sized cage ( about $180 ) that will fit on one side of Jennifer's computer desk, so he can be with her and stay out of trouble. We can put toys, food and water in there, and she can take him out for the scritchies and cuddles he needs so badly, but when mischief ( we actual call him Mr. Chief ) time comes, back in there with his toys. We hope that will help.

You can then place him on your shoulder when having a break. A parrot will tear things of your clothes because they think its a "parasite" on you and doesnt belong there.

He doesnt do it with me, only with Jennifer. I think she lets him snuggle up against her side and gets into her computer without watching him. While he snuggles, he chews her shirts. We love him so much that we dont strangle him for this, but it's costing money.

Try wearing a cheap t-shirt and towel over the shoulders. If you have to try wearing gloves to protect your hands do so. Any parrot can be a handful - it just depends what upbringing they have. I have also owned lovebirds and they are so happy go lucky. Your now dealing with an infant and the CAG would be the same - they can shout and scream if not trained. All species have got their funny points -my parrot is a quarter of your Toos size and can also draw blood.

Oh yeah, so can a lovebird, but then they go back in the cage, and they learn after awhile, hopefully.

Block your mind off the fact that he is a Too and reopen your mind to breaking any habits that have crept in. It might take you a week or a month but I can tell you that after the first week you will be closer to your goal and even closer to bonding with your Too. :) :)

Oh we're bonded, otherwise he would have been out of here long ago. :D

Just gotta get the behavior trained better, that's all. :white1:

Thank you all for all the responses, this is helping me learn some things and get some ideas.

OP
M

Melissa2010B

Feb 17, 2010
Denver
Parrots
Where did you get the Big Cage. If you have a Link or a store name that would be great

Here: BirdCageMart.com - 62"x62" Large Walk In Aviary Bird Cage

Looks like it's still the same price, and includes shipping.

Some caveats. The thing may have been welded in a back yard in China, which would explain the price. It's strong but not perfect. ( what is? ):p

Just dont expect it to be absolutely perfect. Take the door lock out and toss it, it lasted less than a month with Oz. Used some chain and a padlock on the outside with it.

A few of the screw holes didn't line up so well, and a couple of the screws wouldnt even go in because of that, but it's very sturdy, doesnt rattle or anything, and will last for many many years.

We got the sand color because it was more natural and less severe looking - the black colored one looks like a jail, but that's a preference thing.

Oh, and it comes on a pallet which needs to lean against something until you can assemble it. We hired a married couple who worked together very well and got it assembled in a couple of hours for us, they had done this kind of thing before, and they didn't even charge much. ( craig's list )

But it takes two to assemble.

Last edited:

natalie

Feb 8, 2010
Media
Albums
Upstate NY
Parrots
It's awesome that you're preferring to work with him. :)

Good luck!! I hope you succeed with him and he becomes a great little companion for you all.

OP
M

Melissa2010B

Feb 17, 2010
Denver
Parrots
It's awesome that you're preferring to work with him. :)

Good luck!! I hope you succeed with him and he becomes a great little companion for you all.

Thanks Natalie.

It's just that it's hard to handle the thought of getting rid of him, so we need to make it work.

I'd love a CAG or a TAG too, but we have our hands full here.:p

merlin

Feb 18, 2010
Media
st. george, vt.
Parrots
congo gray, merlin 37 yrs old
merlin has free time when i'm home alone. he can wander free with supervision. he loves to climb up and watch the fish. he will sit there and talk to them for quite awhile. he climbs up and looks at the birds at the bird feeders. it is obvious he doesn't like them too much. he talks trash to them. when tim is home, he has to be on a perch and stay put. he loves to harass tim. he has waited outside the shower and then chased tim up onto the toilet. he laughs and laughs. i have to go get him. it is so hard for me not to laugh. here is a 6ft man naked standing on the toilet and merlin all puffed up and just laughing. i tell merlin that is bad and he has to go in his cage. it did take a while for him to stay on the perch when i put him there. after enough times of being put back in the cage for wandering, he gets it.it has taken alot of patience and work for tim to gain merlin's trust. i don't think he will ever be able to handle merlin. after three years tim can feed him from his hand and scratch the top of his head. tim is very respectful of merlin and the damage he can do.:rainbow1:

natalie

Feb 8, 2010
Media
Albums
Upstate NY
Parrots
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Natalie.

It's just that it's hard to handle the thought of getting rid of him, so we need to make it work.

I'd love a CAG or a TAG too, but we have our hands full here.:p[/QUOTE]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're doing the right thing. I just wanted to reassure you that if you did decide to rehome him, that you weren't a bad person because of it.

If you need help along the way, I'm sure we would all like to be a part of seeing this beautiful little TOO turn into a charming good boy. .... said a little sarcastically .... he very well will always have a devilish side to him, but that is a part of what makes them so fun.

He may also be sexually frustrated .... he is a mature male, and some of his actions may be out of aggravation. You may want to do some research on the topic and see if there is anything you can do.

MERLIN ... :D lol, your post made me laugh! That is so funny .... what a naughty little bird. They think they're little rottweilers sometimes! ...It makes me think they'd be better guard animals than a lot of dogs out there. That's so funny.

Last edited:

Most Reactions