Dipping fruits/veggies into seeds

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
Blueheaded Pionus-born May 2019
It's funny to watch but Brio is killing me with this habit but it's my fault, early on I put fruit/veggies in his seeds bowl and it seems like he's used to this now. I have seperate bowls for the seeds, pellets and fruit but when I give him fresh fruit and veggies he takes it, walks all the way to the seeds and puts it in there and chomps it into small pieces. I end up throwing away a lot of the seeds since it starts to go bad. Is there a good way to break this habit?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Awww!! That sounds so cute!

(No suggestions from me, I cannot think of anything that wouldn't just make it worse. But it sounds so CUTE!)

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
The only suggestion I have is to put the seeds on the opposite side of the cage as the fruits and veggies (that's if they are side by side to begin with). My macaw used to dunk pellets in his water but doesn't do that anymore since the water is on the opposite end, my cage is longer than it is deep (I'm pretty sure that's usually the case unless the cage is square). I figure the longer the distance the least likely it will happen.

OP
20brio19

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
The only suggestion I have is to put the seeds on the opposite side of the cage as the fruits and veggies (that's if they are side by side to begin with). My macaw used to dunk pellets in his water but doesn't do that anymore since the water is on the opposite end, my cage is longer than it is deep (I'm pretty sure that's usually the case unless the cage is square). I figure the longer the distance the least likely it will happen.

Lol that's exactly what I did, that's why it looks funny that he takes the fruit in his beak and walks all the way over to the other side of the cage to dip it into the seeds.

What I haven't tried yet is putting one of the bowls higher up on the cage, that way the fruit may drop out of his mouth if he tries to get it up. I'll give this a try.

What would be great though if he eats it like this:
parrot-eating-carrot-3861316.jpg

At 5 months old he may be too young to do this at this point but it would solve everything.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Lol! Welcome to parronthood! Does he also make soup or slurry out of his water bowl with his food?

You’ll never stop it at this point:18:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I always remove seed/pellets from the cage when fresh chop is provided. Too many temptations and I'd rather they focus on the healthier foods. Chop is provided anywhere from 5 to 8 hours depending on ambient temps, so they are never far from diverse nutrition.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty takes his cage toys, carries them to his outside water bowl, dips them , and then flings them to the floor, looking at us, the say as" look what I can do!'.

As far as your issue, I suggest only one food be available at a time. We offer Salty breakfast of pellets, a walnutand a nutriberry. THats available all day. He gets lunch of some fruit, but we give that on a cup on his play boing, which is pretty far from the food bwl in his cage. Dinner is chop, also given on his play boing. This way the soft foods are in an easy to clean area, not his cage. Daily clean up with our set up is literally a 5 minute job. Salty is not a flinger which helps a lot.

OP
20brio19

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
I always remove seed/pellets from the cage when fresh chop is provided. Too many temptations and I'd rather they focus on the healthier foods. Chop is provided anywhere from 5 to 8 hours depending on ambient temps, so they are never far from diverse nutrition.

Salty takes his cage toys, carries them to his outside water bowl, dips them , and then flings them to the floor, looking at us, the say as" look what I can do!'.

As far as your issue, I suggest only one food be available at a time. We offer Salty breakfast of pellets, a walnutand a nutriberry. THats available all day. He gets lunch of some fruit, but we give that on a cup on his play boing, which is pretty far from the food bwl in his cage. Dinner is chop, also given on his play boing. This way the soft foods are in an easy to clean area, not his cage. Daily clean up with our set up is literally a 5 minute job. Salty is not a flinger which helps a lot.

I've been trying this out the last couple of days, it's been working pretty well. Thanks once again, the advice on this site is great!

Most Reactions