Dirty Bird???

B_Weimert

Feb 5, 2011
Fort Hood Texas
Parrots
Green Quaker - Paco 6 years
Sun X Green Cheek Conure- Jasmine 2 years
Military Macaw- Pickles 25-30years
Well I have a 25-30 year old MM macaw that has been with us for about a week. We have just started bonding and playing, however the last 3 days when i have gotten him out he will sit on my lap lift his wings for rubs and then when i rub him he starts to get his bridy groove thing going.

When this happens I have been getting up walking over to his cage and put him back in there. I leave him for a bit and when he is calm i go and take him back out making sure not to stimulate him I only rub his head and give him kisses. This seemed to work the last 2 days but today... when i walked over to his cage and just talked to him he got excited several times and tries making love to his branches I couldn't even take him out today and say hello or rub his head because he was just determined on making me/ his perch his birdy love partner. did I handle this wrong when it first started? Should i continue to ignore him when he does this? I have no clue where to go from here. I know patience is the key I just don't want to encourage this to continue. He is our first macaw so I will admit i may be a little out of my league any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I can take criticism well if I am doing something wrong.
:confused::green1:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Mine gets a bit aggressive when he gets in that stage. I think your doing the right thing. He'll be outta that stage soon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts