Distressed bird - need advice/help

creative

Jun 19, 2010
Hi,

Any advice would be really helpful. I had a crimson bellied conure for 3 years. He seemed to bond with me and was either agressive or neutral to my wife (mostly somewhat bitey). We had a baby and made the very hard decision to rehome our conure. I wouldnt have been able to get him out of his cage or give him the attention he deserved.. plus there was concern that he could bite the baby (and knowing him probably would). It was a very hard decision and caused us all many months of stress and pain. (and still does).

He went to 2 homes which despite assuring me they knew how to deal with parrots and had experience, returned him due to bites. His 3rd home was successful and he has been there 1 year. The first 6 months went well.. but the last 6 have got progressively worse. I went to see him today and he has pulled out feathers with just the down showing in places. The owner no longer takes him out of the cage because of fear of bites.

I think it wont be long until they look to give him away. Ive been asked to be kept in the loop. Does anyone know of any parrot sanctuaries or experienced owners in or near the UK? I'd be willing to drive him there and pay for his food for as many years as needed. I cant find anyone and i believe the current owner is not able to commit the time required to fixing the problems.

Any advice or referals would be a life saver. Thanks,

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Is there any way you can take him back? You can train him to not bite and if you fear him biting the baby just clip his wings for now until you trust him. Many people on this forum keep their birds clipped and it's perfectly acceptable. Please take back your baby! He needs you.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi,

Any advice would be really helpful. I had a crimson bellied conure for 3 years. He seemed to bond with me and was either agressive or neutral to my wife (mostly somewhat bitey). We had a baby and made the very hard decision to rehome our conure. I wouldnt have been able to get him out of his cage or give him the attention he deserved.. plus there was concern that he could bite the baby (and knowing him probably would). It was a very hard decision and caused us all many months of stress and pain. (and still does).

He went to 2 homes which despite assuring me they knew how to deal with parrots and had experience, returned him due to bites. His 3rd home was successful and he has been there 1 year. The first 6 months went well.. but the last 6 have got progressively worse. I went to see him today and he has pulled out feathers with just the down showing in places. The owner no longer takes him out of the cage because of fear of bites.

I think it wont be long until they look to give him away. Ive been asked to be kept in the loop. Does anyone know of any parrot sanctuaries or experienced owners in or near the UK? I'd be willing to drive him there and pay for his food for as many years as needed. I cant find anyone and i believe the current owner is not able to commit the time required to fixing the problems.

Any advice or referals would be a life saver. Thanks,

Hi, I think it is time for you to step up and take back your conure and seek help at home rather than thousands of miles away. It may be worth contemplating finding someone with an aviary he could join as possibly would be the best solution for him. Act now please, if he progresses to mutilation . . . .. Please do not take him to Lincs!

Last edited:

AkridChaos

Aug 31, 2017
USA
Parrots
Rescue Budgie: Snowball (blue/grey)
Normal Budgie: Oliver (yellow/green)
Black Capped Conure: Warbeak
Parrotlet: Lily, Rest In Peace
Canary-Winged Parakeet: Stryker
Your human baby is a little bit older now, right? Main reason for getting rid of your conure was he wouldnā€™t have out time because youā€™d be so busy with the baby, which is understandable. That, and a biting bird that you didnā€™t want to chance near the baby. You said getting rid of the bird caused you both a lot of grief, and still does. Maybe now that your child is no longer a baby (Iā€™m assuming 1-2 years now), it will be ok to welcome your conure back home. You have more time on your hands now. Your bird sounds troubled with other homes. Maybe you can work on training him to not bite, in case he goes near your child, if bites are still a worry. I admit I agree with most of the comments to bring your bird back home, since you sound like you know your bird best, miss him, and are still wrapped up in his life. But I also understand if there are still reasons you feel you canā€™t take him back. Maybe bit child is still number 1 on your mind. Or maybe curious child wants the bird is on your mind too. There are various reasons you might not want to take your bird back. Sadly I donā€™t know anywhere in the UK where you could take him. Maybe you should consider the pros and cons of taking your bird back, if there are still reasons you really donā€™t want to take him back, and take a moment to decide what you really want to do with your bird. Just a thought. You donā€™t have to. But in the end, your post sounds like you really care for your bird still, enough to still be wrapped up in his life. If I didnā€™t know better, Iā€™d say part of you wants to keep the bird.

Last edited:

Most Reactions