DIY training stand?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Maya heartily endorses Parrot Wizard's perches. She says they're rather "tasty".

My wallet, however, does not. Hahaha! (Keep in mind, those of you who are familiar with these perches know that the original thickness is around the size of that washer! So the point isn't the only "worked" area. She whittled the entire thing into a bizarre wooden stake!) That pic was taken after maybe a week or so. A few days later and it was little more than a stub. So I had to remove those from her cage completely and use much harder natural wood branches.

They do make great chew toys, though! Lol!

Last edited:
OP
DannyA93

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
I've never had one so I had no idea they were soft woods. Which I mean I'd use it as a training perch so my bird shouldn't be focused on chewing it up anyway right? Lol but where is henpecked?? If I can get a longer lasting perch then may as well do that!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Henpecked here. Lol. Pm me your info. What diameter and length. No problem. I have tons.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Anansi send me the hardware and what length you need. I be glad to send you a new one for free.

OP
DannyA93

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Henpecked you have now been pm'd! Lol

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Anansi send me the hardware and what length you need. I be glad to send you a new one for free.

Captain, that wasn't one of your perches that was destroyed by Maya. ;)

Here's an example of what Captain's awesome perches look like. And they DO last!

(Sam playing on one of Niko's perches. Niko is a B&G Macaw, so that particular perch is massive)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuGmXyEv0co"]Sammy 02 - YouTube[/ame]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Oh, no! So sorry, Richard! Looking back over my post, I see how it looks like I meant yours! The perch that Maya ravaged was one of Parrot Wizard's in-cage perches. I liked the cut and shaping of it, but ultimately the wood was too soft and she went through it like butter.

Thanks so much for the offer to replace it, though. Very much appreciated.

And thanks for clarifying for me first, Wendy! I'm going to go back and edit that post a wee bit. Hahaha!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Send it anyway.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Puh-leeze!

Don't even get me started on "mr. Wizard!"

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Have you been banned too? I had all of that twit i could take.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
No. Frankly, I wouldn't waste my time with that guy... He'd probably take my better ideas, and start selling them to people.

I spent a fair amount of time correcting the "mistakes" people were making using "his" methods... because they weren't explained well enough. Example: We've had at least a dozen people on this site alone that have followed the "don't react to the bites" advice, and have inadvertently trained their birds to bite them! [BAD ADVICE! YOU DON'T SHOW FEAR IF YOU GET BIT. YOU REACT IMMEDIATELY AND GIVE THE BIRD FEEDBACK SO THE BIRD KNOWS BITING IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR!]

Which, having read some of "HIS" stuff, it doesn't actually appear to be terribly original, or entirely "his." Or even, 100% accurately conveyed from the form I first heard them in a few decades ago...

Though he certainly takes credit for it, which I guess is one of the perks of being a wizard... Don't get me wrong, most of it works, it's just not exactly some revolutionary "new" thing. Last time I checked "the wiz" did not invent clicker training, or target training, or, well, any of this stuff really... he's just rehashing old news, and marketing it, and lining his pockets. Not that he's unique in that regard.

NOT TO MENTION OVERLY PRICEY! (Like the aforementioned $150 training perch, for example! I made a 7 ft tall, 4 foot wide, 8 foot long playstand for about $180!!! But hey $150 for a stick on a stand, and the stick won't even hold up to most large bird beaks! But lets continue to pretend it's the best thing since sliced butter!)

So, yeah, I'm not in the "impressed" camp.

Last edited:

Most Reactions