LPP+'sMama

May 3, 2023
Parrots
Ptolemy "Lemmy" 1.5yo Male Blue Pied Pacific Parrotlet
Penelope "Penny" 1.5yo Female Green Pied Pacific Parrotlet
Poof "Poofy" 3mo Female Blue Pied Pacific Parrotlet

4 Baby 1-2mo Pacific Parrotlets
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone has had any success with a DIY/custom built cage for parrots? I have some parrotlets and am considering building a cage with a wooden frame and metals bars.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I have no experience with this but maybe someone else on the forum has built one?
I know it’s quite complex getting ahold of appropriate materials and getting your birds not to chew through the wooden frame.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have no experience with this but maybe someone else on the forum has built one?
I know it’s quite complex getting ahold of appropriate materials and getting your birds not to chew through the wooden frame.
There is a website by a budgie expert, "Alen Axp" who posted a detailed video about how to make a large glass (or plexiglass) budgie cage that could be changed to have cage bars in the front instead of a clear material. Try goggling him and looking at his videos. He posts great detailed info on everything about keeping, breeding raising and taming budgies. A lot applies to other small parrots like cockatiels. I will try to find a link but try yourself. All of his stuff is great.
As for bars, you could purchase a bunch of large used cages on craigslist, take them apart, and use the bar sections to build your own cage. Someday I'm going to make a large flight cage that can house like eight budgies comfortably, with a plexiglass front, built in ventilation fan and lighting, maybe 5'x3'x3'.

Most Reactions