Do amazons like cuddles

Birdboy

Feb 12, 2013
Media
Australia
Parrots
Keiko Yellow-crowned Amazon
Hi all, keiko and i have been getting along verry well, her personality is coming out alot more. Is it just keiko or do amazons in general not a cuddly bird. its not a deal breaker for me, cause we play together. She sits on my shoulders and preens my hair....and then my eye lashes and eyebrows(scarry!) and then she climbs down my back and back up. she is very energetic.

So yeah that was just a question i have been thinking about because my sisters hanhs macaw loves cuddles

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
Kiwi is not much of a cuddler, but he actually does have his moments. Mostly, like your Keiko he preens me. My entire face and my hair. Generally he likes to wrestle with me though. The cuddling does happen, but rarely.

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
I don't think Amazons are cuddly birds. There are a lot of articles to the effect on the inter-webs.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
They can be, but on their own terms.
My amazon can be a major cuddle bug, but when he doesn't want to he lets me know in no uncertain terms LOL
Depends on the bird I guess is the real answer.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I disagree that zons aren't cuddly, it just take much longer for them than other birds. My hen nape is a regular cuddle bug. So is my wife's nape.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
absolutely they are!! Just not everyone (like me:54:) Zon's love cuddling with the wife all the time, including upside down, sideways and backwards, they just don't care. With me that's another story but I got my GW's so I'm ok :)

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
When Ville is doing something I dont like and thell him that he turs around for being cudlling. That is just a way of being ingratiating (dificult to find the right word)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hunter snuggles and cuddles from morning til night if I let her, and even young Sam loves nothing more than to lay upside down on my chest and have his belly tickled.

I guess I got really lucky with them. :D

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Ive kissed Tequila 3 times so far on the forehead [and believe me im counting] Ive had her 2 1/2 months and i know I could have a big whole in my lip. LOL

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Well all birds are different so some Amazons may while others will not (just like people have different personalities). My cockatiel I had as a child would sit on my shoulder and hand and had a obsession of trying to put it's head in my mouth but was not a cuddler (but there are people with cockatiels who love head stratches). The green cheek conure I had as a child was more cuddly. Clover, loves head scratches, kisses, and lays on her back in my hand, and loves to preen my hair and play with my hair. If you wanted a basic sterotype toos are consider the velcro birds while conure and macaws are second in liking cuddles.

blackhawk007

Jan 23, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Teka~Red Lored Amazon 20 years old,. . Ruthie ~ 16 year old Ruby Macaw, . .
Our Teka is super cuddly, ALL the time! He would love to just snuggle all day every day. It really depends on each bird.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vewETaXjqng&list=UUDr0opoNFSHDyb4e1f8g0cQ&index=6]Red Lored Amazon Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Very nice, my wife has a Red Lored that act the same with her.Mickie is his name, i call him "squeeker". He has that high pitched voice.

Most Reactions