do any of your macaws~

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
ever venture to the bottom of the cage? mine doesnt and i was just wondering...btw i have a gw

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
My Greenwing will sometimes go to the bottom of his cage, either to pick up a dropped walnut or when he's pissed because I won't let him out
of his cage.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Other than occasionally falling from his swing when doing his death defying one fingernail twirl while upside down, he never goes to the bottom of the cage, not even to retrieve dropped toys.

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
Only when I clean the cage paper. She will come down and actually roll over on her back and stick leg out the bars (trying to get me to play).

doodadz

Apr 17, 2010
maryland
my guys(macaws) do not do the cage bottom, even when i put forage toys down. sometimes i see them shredded but i think that they go down, grab it, then back up. I think they are more arboreal vs some of the cockys who are semi scroungers. my cockys will go down to the cage bottom and pick the paper thru the bars, search for missed treats, etc. bounce around like pogo sticks...

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
All three of my macaws have different personalities, likes and actions. Doogie my 16 Y.O. Catalina male is extremely nesty in his behavior and would rather STAY on the bottom of the cage in a pile of old tee shirts and towels he shreads to pieces. We are constantly adding to his tee shirt collection. The other two almost never go to the bottom of the cage

Last edited:

lovinmacaws1

Oct 4, 2010
streamwood ,il
Parrots
Harlequin macaw,hahns macaw and illiger macaw
my illiger spends some time on the bottom of the cage fluttering when she wants out.My harlequin uses the bottom often due to him being 13 weeks old and very playful and active so i keep some food down there and some up on the side in the food cup holders.:red1:

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
my b&g spends alot of time at the bottom of his cage, he plays with toys down there and takes a nap sometimes. i put foot toys in for him cos i noticed he liked it there, he makes happy little noises while he plays.

rockslinger

Nov 10, 2010
Agatha is my new housemate due to my cousins death. I don't know too much about her (I'm assuming it's a her by her name) She has some toys and some books that came with her. She does like the bottom of her cage and spends time with her toys.

I am just starting to learn about Macaws and wondered if Macaw's are trainable? I see they have varied personalities from your posts. Has anyone had success teaching their birds tricks? I had been to this site www.birdtricks.com.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts