Do I Need a Cage

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
I was wondering if I could keep a macaw on a playstand type thing instead of a cage in a room that is of course bird safe and doesn't have anything of value a bird could destroy.:red1:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Depends on the size of the playstand, and how much interesting stuff it has on it to make the bird want to stay put, and how well the bird is trained...

Mine are out 24/7, and only seem to go inside their cages to eat. Maggie doesn't even do that. She just opens the treat cup doors from the outside, and sits on the treat cup doors to eat...

My biggest playstand, however, is 7 feet tall, three feet wide, three levels, with toys all over the place, two hanging playgyms, two flyers, and two cargo nets... I've had as many as 14 birds on that thing at the same time with room for all of them to move around and play.

There are three other playstands in my birdroom in addition to that one.

So, yeah, they rarely venture out of the birdroom on their own, except to come and sit with me.

They don't chew up the inappropriate stuff, because they have so much appropriate stuff to chew up.

OP
Williamsong

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
Would the macaw fly off the stand a lot or would he mostly likely stay on it most of the day ? :red1:

OP
Williamsong

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
And how do you keep them from pooping all over your floors ?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Would the macaw fly off the stand a lot or would he mostly likely stay on it most of the day ? :red1:

Depends on how interesting the stand is, and how well he is trained to stay put.

My amazon has lived out on her stand now 24/7, for close to ten years? She comes and goes from her cage as she pleases. (Going back to her cage about 5-10 times on her own PER YEAR. Usually when another bird is messing with one of her toys. THAT'S MINE EVEN IF I NEVER ACTUALLY PLAY WITH IT ANYMORE!)

My Red fronted macaw lives out on the big playstand and only goes back in her cage to eat. She even sleeps on it. As do my CAG and my Lilac Crowned.

My Greenwing has a portable that I can take pretty much anywhere in the world, set her down on, even outside - fully flighted - at places like the laundry mat and Starbucks - with me inside, and she doesn't move from that spot. EVER!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
And how do you keep them from pooping all over your floors ?

I don't.

I have sheet linoleum down under the cages and playstands and I clean it twice a day. First a good shop vac to clean the debris, then a Mop and bucket to get the poop.

I didn't say it wasn't a lot of work. It is!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
And when they want to be with you they will fly and/or if they get bored :)

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
And when they want to be with you they will flu and/or if they get bored :)

But mainly, when ever they think they can get away with it... and you'll let them stay on your lap or shoulder. PLEASE! DON'T SET ME DOWN! I WANNA STAY WITH YOU... :D

Not that these birds crave attention or anything...

OP
Williamsong

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
I just found the perfect thing !!! At Menards they have a kennel made for dogs that is 6'H by 4'W by 4'D ! That is perfect size for a green wing macaw with so much room for toys and perches ! And I can just buy a sheet of lenolium to go on the bottom. And now the best part: it's only $150.00 which is way cheaper than most birdcages. And it's powder coated not galvanized so that's perfect.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
And when they want to be with you they will flu and/or if they get bored :)

But mainly, when ever they think they can get away with it... and you'll let them stay on your lap or shoulder. PLEASE! DON'T SET ME DOWN! I WANNA STAY WITH YOU... :D

Not that these birds crave attention or anything...

That is true, and I admit I'm a sucker. For the most part when I'm home in the evening Zoe is with me or my partner.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That is true, and I admit I'm a sucker. For the most part when I'm home in the evening Zoe is with me or my partner.

Hey, I had Maggie out at the laundrymat yesterday, then ran errands to Lowes, the bank, and the pet store - so she was out and about with me for like five straight hours...

So we get home, you'd THINK she'd want to go down now, right? (And I can guarantee you the other macaw had her foot up in the air the minute I walked in the door. MY TURN!)

So, she looks at me like I'm crazy for asking her to go down. THEN she pulls the world famous "birdie backpack" move - beak on the collar holding on for dear life. Both feet clinging on the center of my back... pretty much macaw for NOT IF I CAN HELP IT...

Well, by this point the one with the foot up in the air pretty much got tired of waiting and just flew to my shoulder, and at that point I gave up on setting either one of them down.

You guys win this round...

So yeah, Maggie got held for about seven hours straight that day...

Not that she's spoiled or anything! :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hey, I had Maggie out at the laundrymat yesterday, then ran errands to Lowes, the bank, and the pet store - so she was out and about with me for like five straight hours...

Mark, do you ever walk around with big bird poops on the back of your shirt in public? If so, here's your solution:
BBPC4 Shoulder Cape by Big Bird Products Jungle - BIRD THINGS FOR HUMANS
Not your color? They have more... They're on sale!! Christmas is ucoming....

LOLOL!!! :D No, but seriously, is she potty trained and you make sure she doesn't have to go before going into a store or the bank? I'd like to see the look on non-bird people's faces if she dropped a macaw sized bomb on the floor somewhere! I imagine that's what people who take birds around in public do to avoid the accidental splatter:52:?! Either that, or the cape above? I might need one for at home actually... You couldn't pay me enough to wear in public :D

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
She's potty trained. Recalled. Startle trained. Car trained. Stay put trained...

But mostly she's just a big loveable goofball!

I honestly don't know how it's possible to love a bird this much, but I do!

Most Reactions

Latest posts