Do-it-yourself bird tree

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
So I was able to get a suitable poplar branch and am now going about the task of making a tree for Pixel. I have numerous branches to attach to the main branch for horizontal perches, as well as a base and casters to attach it to for mobility.

Here's photos of my progress thus far:

Trimmed branch:
image_zps34a81582.jpg

Peeling off bark (I just used a sharp pocket knife for this; the wood is still very green so it was easy to do):

image_zps093f0617.jpg
[/URL]

After removing all the bark, I attached an additional branch.

image_zps0bd00dbc.jpg
[/URL]

image_zps5772c0c7.jpg
[/URL]

I did run in to some problems though. Screwing through the smaller branch caused it to split quite badly, hence the sisal rope to reinforce it. So since I obviously will need to attach lots of horizontal branches, I'm thinking I should either use nails or wait for the wood to dry. If anyone has any input on the best way to attach more branches I'd really appreciate it!!

Otherwise, and assuming I can safely attach more branches, I'm hoping to finish it this weekend and post pictures of the finished product :).

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Half, not sure if you're one of the "mother, I'd rather do it myself types" or not, but if you're not, here's some pointers that might help you out & keep you from having any migraines.....

Last edited:
OP
HalfInsane

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
No, not at all! I appreciate all the info; I did look online a bit but didn't find anything too helpful... so this is great! Thanks so much :). I'm just at work so I'll have to take a better look at what you've written when I get home; if I have any questions do you mind if I PM you?

Most Reactions