Do Quakers Mature

KikoQuaker

Apr 12, 2021
Do Quakers mature and calm down? My first Quaker is just over 1 year old and is very active and loud. Do they get to a point where they are more relaxed, sit on you shoulder without screaming ect... ?:white1:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello, welcome to the forum!
They are an active species, and like to be loud.

It depends a lot on your home life. If yiu are out of the home working? Then they are gonna have tons of energy to burn when get home to let them out.

Mine do not screech when sitting with me or on me.

Spring can see some increased screeching as is breeding season.

Usually the biggest impact on screeching, is having them out if the cage much more. Teaching foraging. Keeping them flighted. Teaching simple tricks in short tra sessions. Like stick your head through a hoop to get a treat. Touch this or pick this up for a treat. Increased time with your full attention, and more time just hanging out near you. Easy to destroy toys , shreddes, yucca chips, birdie bagels. Time spent outdoors in a very secure cage , you stay with tgem, and keep cage in shade. My burds love being outdoors, and tgey are always quiet and good after spending sn hour or do outside. I secure tge bottom tray, and all cage doors.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We work with older Amazons and our greatest fear is when our Amazon becomes quiet. The greatest concern is that he has become ill! Or, is getting in trouble!

I have to admit that your question brought a smile to my face. Quakers and silence? Not sure that is a question. Happy to see that one of our experts has add comment above. Keeping them busy has been what I have heard.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Agree- parrots are supposed to be noisy and active. If they aren't it can mean there is something wrong.
I also agree with what Laurasea said about possible hormones and pent up energy from a long time in the cage.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can have a big impact on noise reduction.
To a more happy and acceptable level. I've taken on two screamers , and resolved the issue. It can take a couple of months. So yiu can to.

This very active and social species is going to turn to screaming when bored. Its important to understand flock calls and alarm calls those need to be answered for the first, and acknowledged and investigation the second. Everyone in the house should use the same flock calls word, phase, or whistle. When mine alarm call I get up look around out the window, and say its ok. Often they have seen a hawk, or a person, or a dog in the yard.

Quaker can screech as part of their cage defense. Like if they are in the cage and yiu walk over , screeches.

Anyway we are happy to help. Everybody with every kinda of species not just quakers can have issues, and good ideas to help reduce.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Excellent advice above from 3 of our more experienced members!
Try leaving a big handful of popsicle sticks in his cage. You will be surprised and he will be busy.

PLus , at a bit over 1 year, your quaker is most likely going thru puberty and if so all bets are off, as the first rush of hormones floods his little body. You hang on, ignore the bad behavior and try not to amplify any bad habits, lest they become permanent ones.
Once he is past puberty, the yearly mating season may see a return to the past behavior, but remember: This Too Shall Pass.

Most Reactions

Latest posts