Do we have any gardeners among us?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Amen! Your garden is a thing of beauty, my friend.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How about a 'little' update. Most of my roses are working on their second flush of blooms, but in the meantime many of my other plants are in full swing. :D Despite a very moist and hot summer so far, I'm not complaining. I LOVE this season.

One of my pots with annuals. It's filled out quite nicely. Yes, that's guano on the ground. There's a bat box way above the pergola.

Some of my 'babies' (Lupines & Delphiniums). I don't expect blooms the first year, but those that survived the rabbits and slugs are doing well.

Various other plants in bloom:

I absolutely LOOOOVE this Buddleia (Butterfly bush)

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Really? That's it? Honestly Wendy, I thought you'd have WAY more than that! ;)

ALL gorgeous, just WOW :O

What is the pink flower?

Garden%20in%20July%20018.jpg

denaw

May 5, 2015
Willis, Texas
Parrots
"Had" DYH Amazon "Elvis"
Ohhhhhh My Heavenly Goodness!!..Stunning!!!!.. Just Beautiful
:smile012::32::32:
My 1 year older sister passed away very suddenly 3 years ago and I quit gardening..she was my garden buddy. But your gardens sure makes me wanna start again!
Thank you Sooo much for sharing!
Maybe once we get our new home built I will start again...
You have Inspired me!!
Dena

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wendy OMG!!! Your yard truly belongs in a magazine! It is sure something to be proud of :D!!
It must be not only beautiful to look at, but relaxing to go into your backyard as well :).

denaw

May 5, 2015
Willis, Texas
Parrots
"Had" DYH Amazon "Elvis"
We had this put in last June, which took out most of my gardens The new place is on 5 acres so we will have a Ton of room to plant, You have me Excited again. (that is my Grandson).

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ohhhhhh My Heavenly Goodness!!..Stunning!!!!.. Just Beautiful
:smile012::32::32:
My 1 year older sister passed away very suddenly 3 years ago and I quit gardening..she was my garden buddy. But your gardens sure makes me wanna start again!
Thank you Sooo much for sharing!
Maybe once we get our new home built I will start again...
You have Inspired me!!
Dena

We had this put in last June, which took out most of my gardens The new place is on 5 acres so we will have a Ton of room to plant, You have me Excited again. (that is my Grandson).

Do your feathered babies get to go outside and enjoy all that beauty too?
Dena

Dena, I am so sorry to hear about the sudden passing of your sister. :( OH my gosh, that had to have been absolutely devastating! HUGS to you!!! I can fully see how you would lose the joy over gardening then, especially if she was your gardening buddy.

I'm so happy to hear you felt inspired by my garden. :) To me there is nothing more relaxing than to get my hands in the dirt, to pull weeds, and smell of manure. :54: (I'm honestly only semi-kidding, LOL)

I am GREEN with envy over your magnificent pool!! Now THAT's a piece of art right there with the rock waterfall! :32: I'm even greener with envy over your 5 acres. There is SO much you could do with that. :D Personally I'd use quite a good portion of that for native plants, and the rest....well....let your imagination run wild, that's what I did, and ended up with a 'plant jungle' as my family calls it. I lovingly refer to it as my "Cottage Garden". :)

And yes, I DO take my fids outside. We have 2 pergolas that offer partial shade, but I'll never leave them out there unsupervised due to heavy sky traffic with a pair of Peregrine falcons and Red Tail Hawks.

denaw

May 5, 2015
Willis, Texas
Parrots
"Had" DYH Amazon "Elvis"
I "totallly" understand about the smell of manure! I "get" it! I LOVE how the area around your fence is the natives? because it is sooo full and lush, then all the pops of color with the annuals.. seriously just Stunning!!
My sister passed the day after her 51st birthday due to ashtma...it made no sense then how it happened, and I struggle with understanding still today.
But..the good news..since my son has his own home (with his illness, hopefully back in remission) I can now get a Feathered Baby and again, you have inspired me to start gardening again, and hopefully I'll get to retire! whoop! whoop!:jumping40

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wendy, your yard makes me drool! How completely stunning!

denaw, your pool is spectacular. Is that a lake behind it?
I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister:(

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wendy, I love this thread! Pure beauty, thank you for sharing your gorgeous gardens with us!

Dena, deepest condolences for the loss of your sister, I'm so sorry!
Your pool is spectacular, I bet you're enjoying the pool and Lake Conroe this time of year!

denaw

May 5, 2015
Willis, Texas
Parrots
"Had" DYH Amazon "Elvis"
We throughly enjoy it and have 3 grandkids who Love it! The lake is full (of water) so there is some good fishing off of our bulkhead.
Wendy has sooo inspired me to want the beautiful flowers again...
Thank you so much for the kind words of my sister.
Dena

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Nobody minds a little rain here and there...but gees, the sky sure opened up today. :eek:

Free water change for my pond, I guess? :cool:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI0i2C553aM"]A little shower - YouTube[/ame]

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Another update on my garden. Went a tad bit crazy trying to take decent shots of some of the pretty bugs that visit my flowers. :D

Honeybee

Hardy Hibiscus with its enormous flowers

Garden Phlox

Hummingbird Moth

Honeybee on white Hydrangea

Last edited:

Most Reactions