Do you cover parrots cage at night or just let them be.

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
I for one do not cover my parrots at night. I feel that by not having them covered, the can see it's me at night when I get up. Also if by chance someone goes into night flights. All I have to do is turn on the closet light to me and they settle down. Night frights have only happen twice in the last 6 months or so. And once at 3 am when I tripped over the dog. My down stair neighbor even came up to see if everything was okay.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I cover mine. Larger birds have fewer issues with night-frights (and that applies to mine), but with smaller ones, it can help to cover mostly, but provide a night light (if they are prone to flying at night when startled). If you don't cover, you should still have a room with a night light that passes through light and dark cycles like they would have in the wild (if at all possible)
Bird need light cycles to regulate hormone, immune and mood health, but how you do that is up to you and may vary by bird in terms of covering vs dark room etc.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't cover mine. Pikachu was rehomed to me and I was warned he had night terror. He has only had one episode with me.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have a free-ranging (in our home) Amazon and he seeks-out and perches on a stand in our bedroom. As a result, he is not covered at night. Now, I do not recommend this life style to anyone as it requires extensive home adjustment to assure minimum Parrot and dangerous stuff interaction...

If you have an older home, a cage cover would be well worth the effort, especially if you live in an area that requires supplemental heating. Older homes commonly have drafts and if your Parrot is located in a draft path, it will effect the health of your Parrot.

Covers can be anywhere from a heavy full cover black-out style to a very light weight with at least one or more sides open.

IMHO, it is a combination of your home and your Parrot's needs.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So we cover Salty at night. We have 2 covers, one is a light weight black cotton material, the winter one is a heavier almost a twill, not 100% light proof. Both let a bit of ambient light into the cage at the bottom. At 10PM its lights out, except for one table lamp away from the cage area. Since Saltys cage is smack in the middle of our open floorplan living space lights out means we humans retreat into bedroom or downstairs to the studio, and he gets 12 hrs of dark quiet mostly uninterrupted sleep.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Depends on the bird. Mine all want covered... but... my Jefferson budgie wants only top covered. In front, only the top 1/4 or less of the cage. So he can easily check on me, make sure everything is under control if he gets alarmed. Jefferson has had night-frights, and doing a top-only cover on the cage has really helped. (At this point, i do mostly cover the sides and back of cage, & he's okay with that. A year ago, it really was top-only, only hanging down a few inches or so.)

My sun conure, on the other hand wants fully covered and pitch-black. She makes this very clear.

Only exception, IF IF the room is pitch-black and I have her in smaller sleeping cage, then IF the cage is right next to my bed (like on nightstand), only then it's okay to uncover Only the very front of cage. Basically fully covered and pitch black, but has the option to see me sleeping. This is her real preference. I think she feels like she's sleeping along with me, that way. Her actual preference would be to sleep on my shoulder all night. Obviously, that is far too dangerous to allow, so small-cage nearby, me visible, is her next-best choice. (Unfortunately, due to current temperature fluctuation issues, she has to sleep in her big cage while it's cold, as the large birdie-cages are located in the most temperature-stable spot.)

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My guys get covered. Both of them reside in the living room. They go to bed between 9 and 9:30. David will watch tv with the lights on until 9:30...sometimes a bit later. I have "cozy covers" for both..black,breathable fabric and both fid's settle down within minutes. BB used to get night frights when not covered and now he doesn't. Amy has never had one but now that he gets covered every night I can see he is much happier and rested in the morning. Even in the morning they are quiet unless BB hears the microwave going then he chirps at it. I uncover them between 8:30 and 9 am.

Jim

Most Reactions