Does anybody else's galah like to whisper?

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Sakura likes to whisper to herself or sometimes to me...it sounds like she's trying to talk, but super quiet. She also makes cute little hissy noises which I now know do not mean she's angry, but happy and relaxed. Sometimes she does actually talk, but most of the time it's completely unintelligible. I did hear her say "Flower!" pretty clearly yesterday, but everything else has just sounded like nonsense.

I tried to capture some of her ramblings on video, but she gets too interested in me and my phone and stops.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Haha chili talks to herself whenever she thinks she's alone...she practices her words and then will randomly say new words or phrases every now and then. One day she said "what's up?!" and the other day she said "wuv you!"....I think once Sakura gets confidant with her words, they might start popping out here and there! That's awesome she says her name! :)

If you have an iPhone you can turn on the "voice memo" and set it close by and leave the room (it should record for however long you leave it) I have some voice memos but of course it's like trying to get evidence of the loch ness monster :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Dixie our Lesser Sulphur Crested does the same thing. She talks so light and cute. Then when she lets out her scream all that goes down the tubes....lol

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Dommie likes to whisper when he's in a happy mood. He bobs his head, slightly spreads his wings and makes cute little whispery sounds in his beak. This is when he's at his most endearing and most likely to enjoy cuddles. :)

OP
aether-drifter

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Dixie our Lesser Sulphur Crested does the same thing. She talks so light and cute. Then when she lets out her scream all that goes down the tubes....lol

haha! Sakura can scream like a banshee, but thankfully rarely does. Only if the vacuum cleaner gets too close to her cage. :eek:

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Alice does it when I let her on my shoulder when I get in from work, then if I do it back to her the crest goes up and she'll rub her face against my cheek. She's not much of a mimic though - I've never heard a coherent word out of her and the only thing she's learned to mimic is little clicking noises I do with my tongue. But mostly we've mostly decided it'll be quicker if I learn galah rather then her learning English!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
My girl only says "hello!" and she only really says that when you've got food or she wants your attention on her. The rest of the time she is quiet, but I have heard her talking to herself in the other room saying more than "hello". I don't understand what she is saying and don't know why she doesn't want to talk to me.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
my mothers galah whispers/babbles,when she is happy and yes she does hiss too.
And she whistle real soft.
It's so cute.

OP
aether-drifter

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Alice does it when I let her on my shoulder when I get in from work, then if I do it back to her the crest goes up and she'll rub her face against my cheek. She's not much of a mimic though - I've never heard a coherent word out of her and the only thing she's learned to mimic is little clicking noises I do with my tongue. But mostly we've mostly decided it'll be quicker if I learn galah rather then her learning English!

Oh, how cute! And yes, that's exactly how Sakura is...she loves to talk but is terrible at it, bless her.

My girl only says "hello!" and she only really says that when you've got food or she wants your attention on her. The rest of the time she is quiet, but I have heard her talking to herself in the other room saying more than "hello". I don't understand what she is saying and don't know why she doesn't want to talk to me.

A closet talker! I know it's pretty common with parrots. I wonder why?

my mothers galah whispers/babbles,when she is happy and yes she does hiss too.
And she whistle real soft.
It's so cute.

I guess it's a common thing with these little pink fluffsters. They really are so cute! :)

Most Reactions