Does anyone have info on the mating habits of Green Cheek Conures?

michoux

Aug 17, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Parrots
1 Senegal - Max, 1 GCC Jake, 1 Lovebird - Chippy, 1 sulphur crested cockatoo - Bertie
Hi There

My little GCC Jake has started showing a funny little habit in the past 2 or three weeks. He is shredding the newspaper at the bottom of his cage, running up and down running his beek on the plastic of the cage bottom, knocking continuously with his beek, and is crouching and fluttering his wings. It is end of winter here in Cape Town and starting to heat up.

Could this be a hormonal thing? He has never done this before. I knew when it was the starting of breeding time for him, as he becomes more nippy than before, and displays a lot. But this habit is completely new to me!:confused:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Yep, sounds like male conure nesting habits.....

OP
M

michoux

Aug 17, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Parrots
1 Senegal - Max, 1 GCC Jake, 1 Lovebird - Chippy, 1 sulphur crested cockatoo - Bertie
Well, Jake has certainly sprung a huge surprise on us yesterday. He has been with us for 11 years, and he was three years old when he came to us as a rescue. We were told that he was a male.

Well he is not! Jake laid an egg yesterday for the very first time! So Jake is now Jacky!

My husband wants to know if it is too late to get her a mate? She has been alone in her cage for all this time, as she becomes very aggressive if any of the other birds approach her cage. She has kept issues from her previous home, after having been ignored and left totally alone for three years. She is about fourteen years old now. She has lots of company, as the other birds are with her in the same room, but the only time she is out is when I am in the room with her (that feels weird, she has been a he to me for 11 years!) so that if she shows any sign of aggression towards the others I can put a stop to it immediately. Right in the beginning she bit my senegal that the blood ran. She has bitten me that I bled!

How long do GCC's live?

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
She only needs a mate if you want to breed her...why would a Jacky need a mate and Jake not need one anyway?

My 14 cockatiel lays eggs almost every year. She hasn't seen another cockatiel in something like 8 years.

Most Reactions

Latest posts