Does anyone know what this is ?

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots
Lily - Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Kiwi - Orange Winged Amazon

Princess - Pearl Pied Cinnamon

Chicken - Pearl Pied Cinnamon
http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&id=4tHcl5uklZ-xmauSnaOXn6mapZWcpZiirZajzdva

e0hffl.jpg

My Orange Winged amazon is starting to get brown / black on her feathers..

And i am also seeing more stressed bars lately and nothing has change in her food habits..

Last edited:
OP
O

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots

picture is upside down figues... is it possible that sh eis getting too much vitamins ? she is on harrison food + Prime vitamins supplement since she is getting feathers cyst... SHe also has more stress bars on her back

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Are you sure what your calling stress bars are truly stress bars and not dark edging, which is normal coloration. Stress bars do not occur on the tips of the feathers.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I agree 100% with the Captain, those aren't stress marks but dark scalloping on the edge of the feathers. :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I think i see what your talking about. I'm not sure what "condition" that is. Most feather issues are caused by diseases or bad diet. Because of the other info you've given us, i suspect diet is the primary cause. Of course fixing her diet will not change her feathers "overnight". Hopefully my friend will get back to me soon about the pics/text i've already sent him concerning some of her other issues.(i'm sure it's all related). I'd keep up with the improved diet, a good bath (weekly) ,and maybe 1/2 hr of unfiltered sunlight (weekly). I'd concentrate on a fresh VitA rich diet (carrots,sweet potato, small portion of butter or "Sunshine Factor", etc)

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
Looks like bronzing to me. Feather pigmentation does flake off with age/handling. I have read it is normal and haven't read anything on how to correct the situation. Here is Chico. His diet is good, he is 25 years old, he gets handled a lot and it takes almost two years for him to go through an entire feather replacement.

Last edited:
OP
O

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots

I think i see what your talking about. I'm not sure what "condition" that is. Most feather issues are caused by diseases or bad diet. Because of the other info you've given us, i suspect diet is the primary cause. Of course fixing her diet will not change her feathers "overnight". Hopefully my friend will get back to me soon about the pics/text i've already sent him concerning some of her other issues.(i'm sure it's all related). I'd keep up with the improved diet, a good bath (weekly) ,and maybe 1/2 hr of unfiltered sunlight (weekly). I'd concentrate on a fresh VitA rich diet (carrots,sweet potato, small portion of butter or "Sunshine Factor", etc)

She is on Harrison Lifetime with Prime ( from Hagen) vitamins supplement. She is already eating carrots but now i think thats too much vitamin a. I am giving her a bath twice a week if possible. I started with Vitamins supplement 2 weeks ago after my vet visit. I notice that since i started giving her vitamins she is more playful; i have no idea if its related..

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Looks like all my parrots feathers, I was under the impression that it was just an old feather/some aggressive grooming/handled a lot thing.

Most Reactions