Does Anyone Know.........

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
if the ultrasonic mouse control devices that plug into a wall socket indoors is harmful to parrots? I have been searching the internet and find conflicting information. Thought someone out there may have had personal experience with these. Thanks

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I would like to purchase these for my new place. If no one knows than I may not.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I don't know but I've heard from a ton of people that they don't even work. We just use humane mouse traps, we've caught two in the past two weeks and only have one trap, works really well and nothing has to die :)

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
We have them and our birds don't seem to be bothered. Can't say if they worked or not because we were doing other things to get rid of the mice. They are gone now but we keep the devices plugged in just in case they work and they try to come back.

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I would not want to get my kitties nose chopped off by a mouse trap but thanks for the responses.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I would say, just in case, go with the old school method(normal traps). Just put them behind furniture and appliances and you with catch all the mice. It also works good for rats even if you don't catch more than one rats are smart so once they see one of their buddies get killed they leave.
My cat is fat so she cant get to the traps behind the furniture and appliances.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
They don't work. We spent a fortune on them when we lived in NJ....and the mice still got in and would run around in my drop ceiling in the basement. I had to put glue traps up there which was even worse because then I had to take the mice out. But truthfully they don't work. The only thing that worked was poison up in the ceiling or in the garage that poison makes them super thirsty that they run outside to looknfor water and then they die when the water is ingested. But those plug in things were a huge waste of money in our case.

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
OK I guess I will not waste money and perhaps damage my bird's ears. Icy I like that trap but does it deter them from coming back? I can see myself adding letting the mice out every morning. I am moving to a much more remote place so I am anticipating mice in the apartment. I don't wants the snap traps, nor poison, nor the very inhumane sticky paper.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
The best thing to do to keep them from coming back would be to try and seal up any holes where they can come in but I know that can be hard. I guess we're lucky that we have a few resident black snakes that live in our cold cellar and they usually do a great job of keeping the mice out of the house. I know people that successfully use peppermint extract as a deterant, if you put a few drops in your cabinets the mice are supposed to hate it for some reason and it will keep them away. Getting Rid of Mice the Natural Way - Blogcritics Culture

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
No mice yet Mikey. Just anticipating how it will be at my new place. My kitty has never even seen a mouse in her 9 years of life. I am told cats are taught to kill mice by their kitty Mom. My kitty Christine found a cricket once and seem to enjoy watching it. Icy I will try the pepermint route at first. If it gets bad I will try those traps you suggested. Thanks all.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Im all for,the humane way of catching mice , BUT , whenever I would catch one , and walk out back into the next field , let it go , it would beat me back to the house !! :rolleyes.
Seriously folks . :14: But now I have cats :04:
:white1::white1:

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
No mice yet Mikey. Just anticipating how it will be at my new place. My kitty has never even seen a mouse in her 9 years of life. I am told cats are taught to kill mice by their kitty Mom. My kitty Christine found a cricket once and seem to enjoy watching it. Icy I will try the pepermint route at first. If it gets bad I will try those traps you suggested. Thanks all.

Good luck with your new place Spiritbird :)
:white1::white1:

Most Reactions