Does your bird have a sound for things it doesn't like?

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Our CAGs can be finicky and they have all sorts of ways they send us signals. Perjo makes this little beep sound when I present her with a new food item, a new toy or something like aloe vera spray of which she does not like. If she is unfamiliar with it and in any way uncomfortable with whatever the thing is she makes this little beep.

It's funny and rather helpful, no idea where she picked this sound up or why she chooses this particular sound for this "warning" but she does it, and does it consistently.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Yes! Nigel makes a pffffttt sound when he doesn’t like something or is fed up with me! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, yes!
It's a foul and fearsome scream... very innate, apparently.
Like these feuding pairs...
ACK ACK ACK ACKKKK!!!!!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Indeed! Smokers would make a VERY high pitched beep..it went right thru my brain and hurt like heck. She did this to get my attention,wanting to come out of her house,or pay attention to her.

She also di what I called a "gluuged" sound. I can not even describe it. She did this apparently when she was happy/content with things.

Strange enough,Smokey was the only one who vocalized different sounds like this,for whatever reasons.
Amy really doesn't make a lot of "sounds" like that,either does little Beebs :confused:

Jim

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Scooter the CAG will just growl at anything she really dislikes. Ralph the QP will come out with an annoyed aaaacccckkkk!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Scooter the CAG will just growl at anything she really dislikes. Ralph the QP will come out with an annoyed aaaacccckkkk!

Oh ya..I forgot about that growl!!! sounded like a pack of mad,wild dogs! :eek:

Jim

Taprock

Oct 22, 2015
Northern l.p. Michigan
Parrots
Buzz - CAG,
Ziggy - Nanday/Sun Conure,
Jasper - Goffin
Loki - Starling
Gloria - Foster CAG
Only Buzz the CAG has a specific sound. He has an incredibly loud snap. It is a definite warning and when ignored the offending item/hand will get bit.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bella my CAG growls. it's such a low frequency you can feel it as well as hear it.
Bella does have a "back of" noise. it's three sharp knocks or clacks. very distinctive from her normal door nock sound.
She does this if you are trying to pick her up and she is not in the mood for it.

My YNA Bingo he get mad not scared. He makes this menacing hissing shhhhh. noise like a snake. While making that hissing noise he kind of rocks side to side. If whatever it is get's to close he slams his beak into the bars.
texsize

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi makes an angry dinosaur growl and sometimes even hisses! He is NOT shy whatsoever about expressing his displeasure at things he doesn't like and any human foolish enough to remain in the vicinity with said object (or vegetable) is subject to a chomping.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Timneh growls when we are playing and makes a wicked loud clicking or tongue popping noise and this means no with no uncertainty. I think it might be the same kind of sound taprock is talking about.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble quacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
oh yeah rio had a whole host of communications. From a good morning chirp, a good bye beep, attention seeking "clucks" and of course the happy beak grinding

didn't see him mad much. But he had a highpitched growl he did when he was mad at the dreaded hoody and of course the evil too small for his head harness

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
Mav picked up "ah ah" (you know... the noise you make at dogs and other pets when they do something they aren't supposed to do...) from us using it to deter him from getting into things that aren't intended for him. For example, no Maverick, you may not take ALL of the Q-tips from the jar on the bathroom counter and throw them on the floor screaming "UH OH!!!" That's not how apologies work!

So if I tell him "step up" and he isn't done playing on his playstand or try to start working with the harness with him, I usually get a warning "ah ah" before he resorts to other methods of telling me to stop.

He also makes his "grumpy bird" noises when I turn on the light in the kitchen (his cage is next to the kitchen, our main floor is very open concept) and it is past his bedtime. I don't know how to describe that one, other than he just sounds grumpy. Kinda like a low grunt followed by a short whine...

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Only Buzz the CAG has a specific sound. He has an incredibly loud snap. It is a definite warning and when ignored the offending item/hand will get bit.

Perjo does that loud snap as well, she typically does it when I approach her cage and she is not in the mood to be handled, she snaps about 4 times and puffs herself and lowers her head like a bull.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My GCC makes a CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP, or maybe its a screech screech screech. It tends to come in threes, a new food he tries and spits out or doesn't try at all but something that really frightens him he gives a three chirp SOS for me to rescue him.

Most Reactions