Doesn't Like New Anything!!

Mickey3696

Mar 27, 2013
Hemphill,Texas
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
We want to get Kiwi a new cage but he doesn't like new things at all! He won't try new foods, (been trying that all week), won't try new food bowel, won't try new perch, but we would like to get him a new cage but I'm not sure how to get him use to the new cage! Any ideas on what I can do to make it a little easier for him? New Picture today!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364619378.556099.jpg

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Try setting up the new cage and just leaving it where Kiwi can see it-- don't attempt to get him to move into it right away, just let him study it for a while. After a while, begin hanging a few toys in the cage, then maybe put a treat or two in the food dish. Offer Kiwi the chance to explore the cage-- let him climb on it if he wants, and maybe he'll decide to step inside and look around. He may not want to stay in there at first, but gradually will become used to the new cage and eventually should be ready to move into it.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Did Kiwi just recently come to live with you?

Some birds are just like that, they take a long time to get used to something new. Pritti has been like that forever, usually taking weeks to approach a new hanging toy or object in his cage. To this day, he still won't let his feet even touch vet tape. Slowly but surely Kiwi will get used to new stuff. Maybe you can get Kiwi on your shoulder or lap and stand or sit against the cage and see if Kiwi will crawl on to it. Put a flat board on top, like a cutting board, or even cardboard, then put a treat that Kiwi loves up there. See if he'll go for it.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Place the new cage near the old and just let Kiwi get use to it Sooner or late he will play on it etc. Can take some time so be patiance. Good luck

OP
Mickey3696

Mickey3696

Mar 27, 2013
Hemphill,Texas
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
Yes Kiwi has only been here a little over a week. He's starting to come around and we are putting off getting the new cage till he feels a little better about being here. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
I second (or third) the advice of going slow and setting the cage up so he can see it at first. Then move it closer so he can explore it. George is exactly like that! He won't touch a new toy for weeks - just stares at it suspiciously. Once, I replaced his standard dowel perches with natural looking wood ones that are supposed to be better for his feet. I thought just making the change and forcing it on him would make him be OK with it. He hung from the top of his cage and wouldn't even step on them. He hung up there for hours. I had to put the old ones back in. Once it worked out for me, though. I changed him from seed to pellets by putting the pellets in his trusted food cup and hanging a new cup with his old mix close by. He couldn't handle the thought of the new food cup and just started eating pellets out of his old (trusted) one.

OP
Mickey3696

Mickey3696

Mar 27, 2013
Hemphill,Texas
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
We have made progress this week. We put in a new food bowel and it only took him a day then he was eating out of it but I cheated I put his treats in the new bowel and his pellet/seed mix in the old bowel. Iv done this forma week now so next I'm going to put his pellet/seed in the new bowel and put his veggies and fruit in his old bowels to try and get him to eat more of that. We also put a new perch in that took me putting his treats on the other side of it to get him on it but now it's his favorite place to sit. My husband can now feed him so I thing we have made great progress. I spend all day with him and I think he likes the idea. I know he loves that I have the radio on all day and we sing just about every song that comes on. I'm so glad I don't have newborns to worry about. I'll try adding a picture from today but its kinda dark.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365130329.451189.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts