New Eclectus parrot

orphisss

Sep 29, 2023
Parrots
eclectus
Hey guys!

So I recently bought my first eclectus parrot!! (when I say new, I mean REAL NEW, about two week ago)
I'm having a variety of problems with him:
- he wont eat the chop I made him (leafy greens, carrots, corn, bell pepper, chills, quinoa, oats, cucumbers, corn, a little bit of egg too)
- he won't come out his cage; a few days ago, he was willing to step up and felt okay to be out of his cage for a while. Now he stays in a corner of his cage, ignores step up commands even if I tried to coax him with food.
- When I feed him fruits such as apple (without seeds) and pear, he would take a bite then spit it out. Sometimes he flings it all over the place.
- He is also extremely quiet, I have not heard him make any sound other than him grinding his beak.

He is 6 month old, and I noticed he has started molting. I guess the behavioral change can be because of the molting, however, I am not very sure. I am really worried for him to get enough proteins and vitamins. I am not sure how I can make him for comfortable in his new environment; I do work beside him, but that doesn't seem to bring our relationships any closer.

Again, this is my first time caring for an eclectus parrot, if I'm doing anything wrong, please tell me!!

Stephaniedevine

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
None
When molting birds don’t like being touched If he was eating pellets or seeds before he may not consider the vegetable as food yet.it took months to switch my birds to pellets and vegetables I would suggest just leave him alone until he finishes molting and feed him what he was eating before and slowly introduce the new food slowly after he finishes molting Molting is a lot of stress and the change of home and diet will just make it worse

Stephaniedevine

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
None
When molting birds don’t like being touched If he was eating pellets or seeds before he may not consider the vegetable as food yet.it took months to switch my birds to pellets and vegetables I would suggest just leave him alone until he finishes molting and feed him what he was eating before and slowly introduce the new food slowly after he finishes molting Molting is a lot of stress and the change of home and diet will just make it worse
Chop up one vegetable at a time and mix some seeds in so they start realizing it is food then slowly add one vegetable at a time

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
it can take a long time for parrots to swithch to unfamiliar new foods. Keep track of his weight thru the process, because parrots are very good at starving themselves if they dont get the food they like or used to. A drop of more then 5-7% is cause for concern. An inexpensive digital kitchen scale that reads out in grams is essential. Fasion or buy a small T stand to use for this. Weigh at the same time every day, right after his big morning poops but before his breakfast. I keep a record of Salty's weight, so I know if he is dropping weight.

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Hi. I have a female eclectus called Ruby. She’s started molting a little at the age of 5 month old, so it’s (I think) normal for your’s to stat molting. Give him some time to adopt to the environment, then, he would start to be LOUD!!! My ekkie doesn’t make loud squawking, only almost-human sounds. Maybe mix some chop with seeds. Have you tried giving him large pieces of fruit yet? Ruby loves to just chomp around on them while eating some. Try giving him some papaya chunks or half a fig, Ruby ADORES them.

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
If you have taken him to the vet, and he or she said it’s best to give him some Vitamin and protein, then, you should give him some. Tho I don’t recommend giving him some because ekkies can have serious effects because of it. REMEMBER, ONLY GIVE HIM IF NECESSARY! Or the vet said so.

mish22

Jul 9, 2013
Media
Hey guys!

So I recently bought my first eclectus parrot!! (when I say new, I mean REAL NEW, about two week ago)
I'm having a variety of problems with him:
- he wont eat the chop I made him (leafy greens, carrots, corn, bell pepper, chills, quinoa, oats, cucumbers, corn, a little bit of egg too)
- he won't come out his cage; a few days ago, he was willing to step up and felt okay to be out of his cage for a while. Now he stays in a corner of his cage, ignores step up commands even if I tried to coax him with food.
- When I feed him fruits such as apple (without seeds) and pear, he would take a bite then spit it out. Sometimes he flings it all over the place.
- He is also extremely quiet, I have not heard him make any sound other than him grinding his beak.

He is 6 month old, and I noticed he has started molting. I guess the behavioral change can be because of the molting, however, I am not very sure. I am really worried for him to get enough proteins and vitamins. I am not sure how I can make him for comfortable in his new environment; I do work beside him, but that doesn't seem to bring our relationships any closer.

Again, this is my first time caring for an eclectus parrot, if I'm doing anything wrong, please tell me!!
What did your breeder say he was weined off of ? This chop is not for all eckies , if he was not getting it from the breeder and many do not do it it may take a while . start to introduce him to a little bit at a time and get him on harrisons asap . That is the best pellet food you can get them , maid by a avaian vet . its normally 50.00 for 5 lbs but worth it . give him some walnuts , almonds , pistachios everyday just one or two of each . and carrots are important they need that vit A .. sweet potato has it just get a natural on put in the micro and slice off a pice . he feels he is getting rushed with all this food step back start with the orange , find a green he likes you can get frozen mixed vegies for now and not a lot of fruit apple little bit . Eclectus are top feeders out there so there fruit is not ripe and not full of sugar like in the stores . or green banana they love that . And you can try the sink clean it good with germ killer and run the tap luke warm the love to drink water from it . so due cockatoos funny. let me know how he does .. good luck .. he will come around get that harrisons .. michele

mish22

Jul 9, 2013
Media
What did your breeder say he was weined off of ? This chop is not for all eckies , if he was not getting it from the breeder and many do not do it it may take a while . start to introduce him to a little bit at a time and get him on harrisons asap . That is the best pellet food you can get them , maid by a avaian vet . its normally 50.00 for 5 lbs but worth it . give him some walnuts , almonds , pistachios everyday just one or two of each . and carrots are important they need that vit A .. sweet potato has it just get a natural on put in the micro and slice off a pice . he feels he is getting rushed with all this food step back start with the orange , find a green he likes you can get frozen mixed vegies for now and not a lot of fruit apple little bit . Eclectus are top feeders out there so there fruit is not ripe and not full of sugar like in the stores . or green banana they love that . And you can try the sink clean it good with germ killer and run the tap luke warm the love to drink water from it . so due cockatoos funny. let me know how he does .. good luck .. he will come around get that harrisons .. michele

Most Reactions

Latest posts