Dog crate as a travel cage?

Brittney

Jul 19, 2012
West Virginia
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
I been looking at the pet stores the travel cages they have are not big or sturdy enough I feel for my 'zon. I have a cage I use to use with my little dog I was considering trying to turn that into a cage until I could order one that's online that I like but a little to spendy for me right now. Has anyone done this? Or is this the wrost idea I have come up with?

Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Eastern Galah - Suki Lala 10 months old
Greyhound Cross - Max 7 years old
Great Dane Cross - Marque 2 years old
Rats -Lola 1yr old, Tsuyu, Enya, Fury all 6 months old, Cookie 8 weeks
I use a dog crate as a carrier cage for my galah. I just stuck a stick in it for her to stand on. They might freak out at first but after a bit of use they get used to the idea of going in there.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I use a cat/small dog carrier... I have attached a perch close to the bottom, so the bird can stretch...

OP
Brittney

Brittney

Jul 19, 2012
West Virginia
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
Oh good. I really want mal to be able stretch his wings while he is in it. Thanks guys!

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
We have a few carriers like that with a perch and water/food dishes attached thru holes in the side, We can carry the Zon's & Hahn's easily in them, We also have a much bigger one, but it's not a pet carrier, it's one of those really big storage containers for the home in clear plastic with a lid that snaps on. It has a ton of holes drilled in it for ventilation & also has a perch & food/water bowls in it. It was used for transporting/ raising the GW's when they were babies. The main thing to watch is the water bowls, you will have to keep refilling them during travel since they will spill some out. The downside is now, I doubt it's big enough for the GW's now but I know it would hold both Zon's if need be. I take ReaRea with me on short trips all the time, she just sits on the top of the headrest behind me & is very well behaved (I don't trust Miri enough to do this). It also helps that I have a full size van that has TONS of room and seating. It is affectionately called the "Birdmobile" :D

This is a pic of my bumper sticker on it van LOL

Attachments

• give blood.JPG
    give blood.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 244
OP
Brittney

Brittney

Jul 19, 2012
West Virginia
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
Mal is still very tempermental. Like this morning all he is tryin to do is bite even if all you are trying to do is walk past his cage. Hopefully in a few months he will love and trust me

BarkleyLoves

Jul 23, 2012
TX
Parrots
Barkley (4yo Eclectus)----
Pepper (7yo White-Capped Pionus)
I use a Marchioro (or some spelling close to that) Binny petcarrier that opens from the top and it comes with a removable grate at the bottom and dishes. It's big enough to hold my Ecclectus with room to spare. They make a few sizes. That's a good idea about the perch. I think I'll attach one when I come home from vacation. lol

When my dad brought the wrong cage home from the vet, and the vet couldn't find our cage I just ended up using a regular dog/cat carrier at least until I could order another one.

Last edited:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I retrofitted a medium dog crate for my B&G macaw. When I got my travel trailer, there wasn't anything on the market at the time that would work for me. I have seen a couple of traveling cages recently on the market but they run about $300. For as often as use the trailer, I can't justify spending that kind of money.

Most Reactions