Doing great! :-D

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
We're getting along great! I'm learning to deal with the hard nibbles and bites, and I think he's learning to do them less. He's pretty quiet most of the time, and is getting better about calling for me when I go into another room (although it's possible that I'm the one getting trained there).

He takes a shower with me most days. I put on a parrot necklace (my ball-chain or rope) and let him hold on! He seems to like it well enough. He sings/does jungle calls in the shower, and while I'm doing dishes.

He's not quite as active as I imagined a caique to be after reading about them (hadn't spent time around them before I got him), which is fine with me. He's playful, likes to stay busy a lot of the time, but he does stop moving sometimes.

I went on a 4 day vacation and couldn't bring him, and my mom babysat him, and he was good with her! On the morning I picked him up he got fussy and she couldn't figure out how to quiet him down, but the rest of the time he was pretty happy.

On another note, I've been feeling a lot happier with my life since I got him. I've been falling asleep more easily (he does little whiny chirps when I put him to bed, which I now find soothing, LOL), and waking up more easily because he wants to get up before I do. He's pretty polite in the mornings when I want to sleep in though, and if he wants to get out of his cage before I'm up he'll make little kissy noises, starting quieter and getting a little louder. When I get upset about him, I calm down when I see or play with him. I look forward to going home now because I have my little baby waiting for me!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
That's what having a bird is all about,congrats

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
We're getting along great! I'm learning to deal with the hard nibbles and bites, and I think he's learning to do them less. He's pretty quiet most of the time, and is getting better about calling for me when I go into another room (although it's possible that I'm the one getting trained there).

He takes a shower with me most days. I put on a parrot necklace (my ball-chain or rope) and let him hold on! He seems to like it well enough. He sings/does jungle calls in the shower, and while I'm doing dishes.

He's not quite as active as I imagined a caique to be after reading about them (hadn't spent time around them before I got him), which is fine with me. He's playful, likes to stay busy a lot of the time, but he does stop moving sometimes.

I went on a 4 day vacation and couldn't bring him, and my mom babysat him, and he was good with her! On the morning I picked him up he got fussy and she couldn't figure out how to quiet him down, but the rest of the time he was pretty happy.

On another note, I've been feeling a lot happier with my life since I got him. I've been falling asleep more easily (he does little whiny chirps when I put him to bed, which I now find soothing, LOL), and waking up more easily because he wants to get up before I do. He's pretty polite in the mornings when I want to sleep in though, and if he wants to get out of his cage before I'm up he'll make little kissy noises, starting quieter and getting a little louder. When I get upset about him, I calm down when I see or play with him. I look forward to going home now because I have my little baby waiting for me!

THIS is why people have birds. I love my babies so much because I have some beautiful creatures to come home to. They give me love and affection and just make everything okay when everything is all going drasticly wrong. I go asleep listening to beak grinding, and it's lovely and then I struggle to sleep sometimes as I'm excited for the next morning when Merlin and the guys want out, for playtime and cuddles. If I could, I'd never speak to another human again, I'd just be surrounded by wonderful birds like these. :21:

Congratulations on your beautiful baby. So glad to hear that you're feeling happier just looking after him. :)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww really happy for you!!! these little creatures just have that knack of getting us to love throught he pain lol

brit193

Aug 19, 2011
Painesville, OH
Parrots
Senegal parrot, Petey.
Green cheek conure, Chico.
Blue quaker parrot, Ozzy.
Goffin cockatoo, Gilligan.
That's awesome ! :D
Having a little bundle of feathers to look forward going home to is indeed a great feeling.

LoveMauiGus

Jun 14, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Maui - Sun Conure,
Gus - Yellow Collared Macaw
Sounds like you're both comfortable! And how do you like that, you got a free alarm clock too :)

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Glad its working out for you. I think caiques are the cutest birds. I've seen them alot in pairs, little twin clowns. What kind of caique is Puck?

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
I considered a dog, because I was never dogless when I was growing up (although not usually birdless either). I think it's easier to get an apartment to accept a bird than a dog though.

MerlinsMom - He's a black-headed caique! It's funny seeing pictures of other ones, because they all look the same as far as I can tell.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
awww so glad to hear you two are doing so great :) You will have to add more pics soon! :)

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
I've been taking lots, but I'm not quite sure how to deal with that on here yet. :-D

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
LOL I know, it is hard to do on this site. I had problems too. I have a blog on my signature and it has photos of Max on it :)

Most Reactions