Doris is a bit tame!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I'm feeling a bit down, so I'll post a bit of "good news" for me.

Today, I got Doris to sit on my hand. They still won't come to me but we're working on that. Doris sat there after I'd picked her up and patted her. She didn't just flee as if from a T-Rex as she used to do.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
What kind of bird is Doris?

OP
S

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Sorry, I should have said. She's one of my weiros (cockatiels).

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Yay Doris! (I think that's a lovely name for a quarrion/weiro/cockateil, BTW). Have a bit of millet spray to gently offer her and she might stay a bit longer and sit on you a bit more frequently. Isn't it a lovely feeling when they start to trust? :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is fantastic! I am so happy for you and Doris:)
I wonder if she sensed that you are feeling down & wanted to make it better.
I hope you feel better soon:)

OP
S

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Thanks everyone.

I wasn't more "down" than usual when I tried today's "taming" effort, I was down when I posted.... There have been a lot of upsetting things with our members here. :(

I'd tried offering them food before, Doris had overcome her fears sometimes to have some, but mostly they'd do the "children escaping the velociraptor" scene. I decided to be a bit more assertive. I remembered with my budgies that you had to be a bit pushy and insistent, so I did that. I picked her up and held her for quite a long time, stroking her and talking to her. It was after that that she stayed on my hand. Tony doesn't do his "trying to scare me away" move any more (he'd do a kind of "I'm gonna bite you if you come at me" type thing with his beak open and when I talk to him from outside his cage, he moves TOWARDS me instead of away. I'll try to consolidate my progress with Doris first before it's "his turn". (It's funny, because he started out being the more friendly of the two, she was way more shy than he was, but she's less determined than he is to stay away from me.

I hope they get to the stage where they'll step up and see me as "one of them". Their nails are Cruella de Ville long, so I'd like to be able to give them a manicure.....

Doris is named after Doris Day. Doris Day is a big animal lover. She (or her son?) runs a hotel where you are allowed to bring your dog. I'd love to go on holidays and take my pets with me. In Australia, you can't take your dog most places (people places, that is). I love Doris Day. She is a terrific singer, I love her daggy movies, and I like what I hear of her as a person, given that she's such an animal person. In her movies she was often smiley, cheerful and cute, determined and smart, just like my beautiful little bird.....

(I've really no idea what sex either of them is, they could be anything....)

Last edited:

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
You know strudel, sometimes things suck, but one day, being loved, in a caring home is worth so much to the birds we have. One day being loved, and sick, is better then a million days otherwise. I know some members are experiencing loss, but those birds are so lucky.
Keep positive, and positive things will continue.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
How did I miss this thread?

I'm so happy for you that Doris is starting to come round! Yay Ms Doris!

OP
S

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Thanks. Do you know what's weird? When Doris is "being nice to me", Tony comes over and bites her..... What's that about? :D

This morning, I got her to step off her swing (where she sleeps) onto my hand. (She couldn't really go anywhere else....) She stayed there though, she didn't jump straight off.

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
He's jealous, and wants to drive her away from "his" love. Just ignore him and love him later, or bring him in.
My dogs are like that. I go pet one and the other has to come and literally force his or her way between the two of us. Jealous.

OP
S

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I don't think so.... he's not tame, he doesn't come near me, he couldn't be jealous. It's as if he's saying "don't go near that pterodactyl, you silly girl" :D

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
Oh my gosh! Silly boy! Then maybe he's mad your going near his friend? He doesn't know what he's missing..... Yet. Lol

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Thanks. Do you know what's weird? When Doris is "being nice to me", Tony comes over and bites her..... What's that about? :D

This morning, I got her to step off her swing (where she sleeps) onto my hand. (She couldn't really go anywhere else....) She stayed there though, she didn't jump straight off.

Sounds like jealousy, Strudel. Our males will sometimes do something similar.

OP
S

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I'm not sure they are even friends. They do seem to squabble. They aren't all lovey-dovey, they don't sit together or anything. Maybe he's directing it at me, but she's in the way so she cops it instead. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts