Dr Harvey Vs Higgens

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Wife an I are trying figure out what is best to feed the birds we have and are going to have. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Higgins-Celestial-Blend-Bird-Food/dp/B001RRT3PS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398657156&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Higgins+Mayan+Harvest+Tikal+Food+Mix+for+Parrots]Amazon.com: Higgins Celestial Blend Bird Food 3lb: Pet Supplies[/ame] or [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Harveys-Colossal-Cockatiel-Cockatiels/dp/B001B10XMC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1398656907&sr=1-1&keywords=Dr+harvey+cockatiel+food]Amazon.com : Dr. Harvey's Colossal Cockatiel Blend Natural Food for Cockatiels, 4-Pound Bag : Pet Food : Pet Supplies[/ame] Basically of these two brands, Dr Harvey Cockatiel food or Higgins Mayan Harvest. seems to be their best one. Any recommendations? She has a Tiel I will be getting a Meyers pretty soon.

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
A note, if there is another brand that you would recommend please do so.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
My cockatiels, conures, and cockatoo all get a different diet.

The cockatiels eat this one! They also eat TOPs pellets and a lot of different fresh and baked foods. They also get Red Raspberry leaf in their water.
Paradise Deluxe Small Hookbill - BIRD PARADISE BLENDS by Bird Paradise

The tiels have been on Dr Harvey before though and liked it quite a bit. My tiels have never had the higgins.

The conures get this one! Right now I am arguing with them about pellets. They are eating Roudybush a bit right now and had been on TOPs before they rebelled. They also get fresh and baked foods. Occasionally they will get Goldenfeast mixes. The GCC get Red Clover and Red Raspberry Leaf in their water. The sun gets Red Raspberry Leaf in his water.
Paradise Unsulphured Build-A-Blend - BIRD PARADISE BLENDS by Bird Paradise

My cockatoo eats all different Goldenfeast mixes, Roudybush, and fresh/baked foods. He gets Red Clover and Red Raspberry Leaf in his water.
GOLDENFEAST BIRD FOOD by Bird Paradise

I'm not sure what a Meyers should get but hopefully you get some ideas from this:)

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Funny, Robin has been excitedly eating his Harrison's for at least 10 years now... Maybe longer I don't remember when I started buying it. Everyone here LOVES it.

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Alright thanks for all the reccomendations will discuss them with the wife we have a dr harrison tiel formula on hand.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
For seeds, I currently mix Kaylor of Colorado Sweet Harvest Cockatiel (or budgie) w/out Sunflower Seeds with Goldenfeast Australian Blend *OR* Petite Hookbill Legume Blend. The cockatiels eat this, although sometimes Jayde gets some too.

The cockatiels and Jayde also get ADULT LIFETIME FINE-Harrison's Bird Foods.

My bourke parakeet is currently eating HIGH POTENCY FINE-Harrison's Bird Foods.

Jayde is also getting Nutri-Berries? | Pet Birds by Lafeber Co., and I like to vary what I get her.

Charlie was on Harrison's Adult Lifetime Fine, although I've purchased a few different Roudybush blends for him, and ATM I am trying him on a low dry food diet. Most days he's been eating a grain, legume, veggie and fruit mix without dry foods. I think he's only had dry food like 3 days within the past 2-3 weeks? Although prior to that, I was mixing dry with wet for a while.

All the other birds get their wet foods separate from their dry foods.

OP
S

Soven26

Feb 1, 2014
Thanks to all that have reccomends and showing the site that I can buy in bulk from that should be helpfull for a seed/fruit blend Im my stupidity in the past i have used ZuPreem Fruitblend I was younger and more foolish. I do more research on the foods befor I give them to the birds. Thus I am a little leary of Pellets. or too many hard to read chemicals

Most Reactions

Latest posts