what do you feed your parakeets?

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
I bought mine from pet smart about 2.5 months ago, she is about 6 months old atm and I feed her Dr Harvey's parakeet blend. I tried harrison pellets for many weeks but its just way too frustrating for both of us to get her to eat it, and she seems to love the dr harvey's in comparison - she will literally jump in her food cup head first when i put in the fresh batch in the morning.

I may try zupreem fruit blend next. Some people from the conure section said goldenfeast is a great bird food brand, do any of you guys give your parakeet goldenfeast? im confused though because goldenfeast makes like 10 different kinds of parakeet food and i can't figure out which one i should give my parakeet and which one she will actually even eat.

i hear that most vets recommend harrisons and say its the best bird food, but then i later found out that vets are the only ones who sell harrisons!! So that situation seems VERY sketchy to me considering some respected vets and an upstart pharmaceutical company killed my dog back when i was in highschool because they wanted to 'test' their new products without even informing me :( Unfortunately the vetenarian industry is a corrupt business just like the medical industry for humans, though not all doctors are corrupt you have to remember when taking a pet or child to the doctor that the doctors make their money from pets being sick - and even if you go for a simple 'check up' - many times they may give a random immunization shot to ensure that they get another visit. As scary as it sounds, it happens everyday even here in America :( The best way to avoid doctors is to avoid being sick in the first place which is why i clean my bird cages daily and keep an air purifier running 24/7 and keep a clean and healthy environment - and give quality food of course.

what do you feed your parakeets as far as packaged daily food goes?

Last edited:

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Dr Harvey's looks great to me. With a variety of fresh foods added it seems like a healthy complete diet.

Goldenfeast is excellent as well.

You can get Harrisons at drfosters, amazon and probably other online suppliers.

OP
S

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
Dr Harvey's looks great to me. With a variety of fresh foods added it seems like a healthy complete diet.

Goldenfeast is excellent as well.

You can get Harrisons at drfosters, amazon and probably other online suppliers.

Yes I'm a huge fan of Dr harveys because its a blend of all natural whole foods and my budgie without a doubt LOVES it.

I may start giving my conure their parrot blend.

looks so yummy makes ya wanna eat it too! lol

400.jpg

"The Perfect All Natural Daily Parrot Food for Big Birds
No Chemicals, Dyes, Preservatives or Synthetic Ingredients of any kind
Filled with variety of ingredients that birds need
Filled with ultra-premium ingredients for healthy birds
Promotes Optimal Wellness in Parrots"

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
My only concern with dr harveys for the conure is the amount of sunflower seeds, peanuts and other nuts. Conures tend to be little junkies and will pick all the sunflower seeds out and only eat those. Foo can not have sunflower seeds and other nuts in her food at all and is only given nuts as a treat. When I got her, all she would eat was sunflower seeds and it took a long time to get her to eat well.

If I were to get that one I would use it as a treat only.

OP
S

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
My only concern with dr harveys for the conure is the amount of sunflower seeds, peanuts and other nuts. Conures tend to be little junkies and will pick all the sunflower seeds out and only eat those. Foo can not have sunflower seeds and other nuts in her food at all and is only given nuts as a treat. When I got her, all she would eat was sunflower seeds and it took a long time to get her to eat well.

If I were to get that one I would use it as a treat only.

I see, makes sense - how about the 'hookbill legume blend' fom goldenfeast? I give my birds fresh food everyday so should i give the conure 2 tablespoons of this every morning?

hookbill-legume-blend-supersize-1000px.jpg

"Complete balanced nutrition with no artificial colors or flavors and no synthetic vitamins. For Parrotlets, Lovebirds, Amazons, African Grays and other exotic birds. Contains almost 50 wholesome ingredients. There is no competitive formula that comes close to the variety and balanced nutrition of Hookbill Legume Blend. Vegetable and fruits are dehydrated unless specified otherwise. Beans are cooked and dehydrated for better nutritional absorption. Serve dry, soaked or cooked. Each package is date coded for guaranteed freshness."

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
I would do the one for conures.

Conure Gourmet Blend | Goldenfeast Direct

or the pellet. Goldn?obles I | Goldenfeast Direct

I have both on my list to get. I thought the pellets might be fun to string on sisal rope for a forging type treat.

Foo is now used to eating a variety of food. Currently she is eating Roudybush, she has done harrisons, zupreem (she hated it that one) and nutriberries.

Her main diet is fresh foods. We eat mostly healthy here, so with only a little change she eats what I'm making.

today as an example-she had melon seeds, apples, brown rice cakes and sprouts earlier in the day.

We just made salad and she got mixed greens, radishes (greens from that too), a little olive, bell pepper, a bit of unsweetened coconut, mango and a bit of corn bread.

Roudybush is in a bowl on her play area and a millet sprig is hung in her cage.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Goldenfeast is the bomb, but get the one formulated for your conure... And I bet your parakeet would love the Australian blend. My parrotlet loved this stuff, and so did my Senegal.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Vets are NOT the only one's who sell Harrison's. That is about all I'll say about that.

OP
S

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
Vets aren't the only ones who sell Harrison's, you can get it from amazon and other resellers, but Harrison's is the only brand they sell and recommend.

My conure didn't seem to like zupreem either, I didn't like it either and the smell was gross. Though I did try some Harrison's pellets and my conure ate that no problem, maybe his breeder gave him that too. Spent about 100$ this week alone on different food to try for conure lol.

OP
S

Sarvesh

Aug 9, 2015
Also does the conure blend count as a full diet? I notice it doesn't say "complete nutrition" like the other ones so I thought maybe its a snack or something.

Does this look good for a conure to you guys?

conure-blend-gourmet-2012-640x640.jpg

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I think variety is key. Try a few different types of foods and feed you bird a little of each. Common sense of course goes a long way, so obviously feed more of the more nutrition foods. I don't believe you will find any one product that gives your bird a complete and nutrition diet. Sorry if I am wrong but that seems to be what you're looking for and I just don't believe it exists. Variety variety variety... it is an absolute MUST.

I make chop for Pumpkin once per month the base of which is always his hot and hearty cooked bird food then from there I will mix in a variety of veggies that change month to month. I also add one sample pack of wordy cuisines gourmet bird food from petco. I mix in organic veggie baby food which binds everything together. Then I also have a variety of fruit I give him separately at the end of the day because I love fruit so I share. He also eats two types of pellets. And has a few different bird food treats such as dehydrated fruit and veggie and nut mixes as well as millet that I use for training and foraging toys. He doesn't get a lot of seed but I'll give him some occasionally. Pellets usually have seed in them so I use the seed more as a treat and something different to make him forge a bit and work just a bit harder to get his food. Hope this helps and maybe gives you some ideas.

Last edited:

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I bought mine from pet smart about 2.5 months ago, she is about 6 months old atm and I feed her Dr Harvey's parakeet blend. I tried harrison pellets for many weeks but its just way too frustrating for both of us to get her to eat it, and she seems to love the dr harvey's in comparison - she will literally jump in her food cup head first when i put in the fresh batch in the morning.

I may try zupreem fruit blend next. Some people from the conure section said goldenfeast is a great bird food brand, do any of you guys give your parakeet goldenfeast? im confused though because goldenfeast makes like 10 different kinds of parakeet food and i can't figure out which one i should give my parakeet and which one she will actually even eat.

i hear that most vets recommend harrisons and say its the best bird food, but then i later found out that vets are the only ones who sell harrisons!! So that situation seems VERY sketchy to me considering some respected vets and an upstart pharmaceutical company killed my dog back when i was in highschool because they wanted to 'test' their new products without even informing me :( Unfortunately the vetenarian industry is a corrupt business just like the medical industry for humans, though not all doctors are corrupt you have to remember when taking a pet or child to the doctor that the doctors make their money from pets being sick - and even if you go for a simple 'check up' - many times they may give a random immunization shot to ensure that they get another visit. As scary as it sounds, it happens everyday even here in America :( The best way to avoid doctors is to avoid being sick in the first place which is why i clean my bird cages daily and keep an air purifier running 24/7 and keep a clean and healthy environment - and give quality food of course.

what do you feed your parakeets as far as packaged daily food goes?

Goldenfeast may RECOMMEND 10 different varieties for your bird. Its not rocket science. It depend on your bird needs. Many of the blends are a complete food, but I still give fresh everyday. I would never just feed pellets, Harrison's, Goldenfeast, or otherwise (BORING) They need a varied diet dry along with fresh food everyday. Goldenfeast meets the dry criteria (IMHO) and their ingredience is fresh, organic, and packed full of wonderful.

Regarding Harrison's, I don't know where you heard that you can only get it from the vet. You are misinformed. You can get it on amazon, bird stores, and through Harrison's website directly.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts